Andy Gray and Richard Keys disciplined

a joke andy gray would like ...The referee for last weekend's Liverpool game has said that he was very happy with the female assistant's performance.

He said she did a great job ironing his kit, and the half-time sandwiches were delicious.

do you spend much time making these up Bob?

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think 24Hours makes the most pertinent point - if this had been them making racial stereotypes and not sexual ones then even the notoriously right-leaning NewsCorp couldn't have stood by them.

However as it's sex which is in question they'll likely get off with a slap on the wrist. Wrong, but the way the world works sadly.

Sexism is on a different planet to racism as that tends to victimise minorities and often in a harmful manner.

Half the population are female and the other half has an arguably unhealthy interest in them. Therefore I'm sure the poor women of the world can cope with blokes thinking they should leave the officiating of top-level men's football matches to men. I've no problem, for example, with being told I can't choose a decent wallpaper on the grounds that I'm a bloke.

Since when's this an issue anyway? Since someone somewhere came up with the notion in pursuit of a pat on the back? Or more likely a blowjob. We'll have women judging boxing next.

Perhaps, but then a chavvy woman might have half a chance of hanging it.

True, but surely she would find that her time was better utilised giving a straight male friend a, "pat on the back," in return for him doing it in a quarter of the time? This is the true essence of division of labour.

I've not heard the manner in which things were said, only read the transcript.

I read it as an off-air jovial laddish conversation that's a bit tongue in cheek. There's something of a novelty factor about a young woman running the line.

Not a million miles off moaning about the wife with your mates in the pub, even though you love her really. And I'm sure "wimmin" have similar conversations in reverse.

If the politically correct world we live in today frowns on such goings on demands discipliniary action, then so be it.

Personally I think there are more important things the world should be worrying about. May be I'm turning in to a dinosaur.

(By the way, the woman running the line for the game in question appeared competent for the 45 minutes I saw and probably understands the offside rule better than me).

For my money, it sounds much worse on tape than it reads on paper, which is one of those weird things. There was real feeling in it - something about the way they pause while inwardly raging at the passing of time and the feminisation of running the line. They weren't faking it or being ironical.

Have a listen...go to the bottom and click on where it says listen to the tape.

Linky

For my money, it sounds much worse on tape than it reads on paper, which is one of those weird things. There was real feeling in it - something about the way they pause while inwardly raging at the passing of time and the feminisation of running the line. They weren't faking it or being ironical.

Have a listen...go to the bottom and click on where it says listen to the tape.

Linky

Just heard it on the news.

Perhaps not quite as jovial and laddish as I thought.

That's a very, very odd clip. The dialogue just sounds very odd to me. Don't want to go all X-files like... But is copy and paste a possibility there?

Keys originally said that he didn't recall the conversation. I suppose you could try to read something in to that.

He has since (apparently) apologised.

It is odd, but I think it's odd because it actually sounds like they genuinely mean what they are saying, rather than it being a joke.

Assuming that is the case, the slap on the wrists is quite deserved.

That's a very, very odd clip. The dialogue just sounds very odd to me. Don't want to go all X-files like... But is copy and paste a possibility there?

I reckon the words haven't been spliced, but I definitely suspect splicing on a sentence-to-sentence level. They basically owned up to it - the bit where Gray or Keys says if you've got the tape you don't need me to comment.

Keys originally said that he didn't recall the conversation. I suppose you could try to read something in to that.

He has since (apparently) apologised.

It is odd, but I think it's odd because it actually sounds like they genuinely mean what they are saying, rather than it being a joke.

Assuming that is the case, the slap on the wrists is quite deserved.

It sounded to me a bit too good to be verbatim quotes, like they both decided to do the full show in the space of a few seconds, which no doubt most of us would do in the pub making a joke with our mates, but it all seemed to come out a bit too well. Maybe it's the paranoia, or maybe they have been stitched a little and can't argue it as they have said all of the above at one time or another. Either way, gay men pick perfectly good wallpaper.

I personally think when someone holds either racist / sexist / homophobic etc etc views in private and chooses to discuss them only in private with like minded bigots... Well that says a lot about the person, the shame they probably feel about those opinions and utter lack of ability to argue their bigoted views to any reasonable level...

For it to be banter it has to be funny... It wasn't very funny, there was to much sting in the comments...

Edited by oafc0000

I personally think when someone holds either racist / sexist / homophobic etc etc views in private and chooses to discuss them only in private with like minded bigots... Well that says a lot about the person, the shame they probably feel about those opinions and utter lack of ability to argue their bigoted views to any reasonable level...

For it to be banter it has to be funny... It wasn't very funny, there was to much sting in the comments...

Defo too much sting in there for my weak constitution. The tone said that they are incapable of humour on anything like the right level.

True, but surely she would find that her time was better utilised giving a straight male friend a, "pat on the back," in return for him doing it in a quarter of the time? This is the true essence of division of labour.

Some girls seem to have an inherrent understanding of the process from a young age.

I always sweep the room between pints two and three. And then again between pints seven and eight.

Sounds like jobs for Mrs Tulsehill to me. :queerim9:

it might not be shame, it might be just because you can be prosecuted for what you say

I've not heard the manner in which things were said, only read the transcript.

I read it as an off-air jovial laddish conversation that's a bit tongue in cheek. There's something of a novelty factor about a young woman running the line.

Not a million miles off moaning about the wife with your mates in the pub, even though you love her really. And I'm sure "wimmin" have similar conversations in reverse.

If the politically correct world we live in today frowns on such goings on demands discipliniary action, then so be it.

Personally I think there are more important things the world should be worrying about. May be I'm turning in to a dinosaur.

(By the way, the woman running the line for the game in question appeared competent for the 45 minutes I saw and probably understands the offside rule better than me).

Boo-urns, irony does not exist, wash your mouth out.

it might not be shame, it might be just because you can be prosecuted for what you say

Holding or saying views is generally not against the law... Discriminating or preaching hatred is against the law... and anyone doing that isn't a worthwhile part of the community to give a dam about anyway IMO.

Edited by oafc0000