Failsworth Stadium Move Blocked

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Isn't it something to do with the existing power lines? Where's Diego when you need him?

If thats the reason its nothing which can't be overcome, power line re-location happens with many major redevelopments, where there's a will there's a way.

In the light of how it has been mismanaged so far, and the opposition from FRAG, I would rate the possibility of the Council being able to address the issues fully and successfully, as required by the CC, slightly above nil. :disappointed:

That's the most optimistic post I've read...

This is an issue.. there is no memorial and there never has been one! It is scrub land!!!!

I have no personal knowledge but I understand it to be a Memorial Park, created 85 years ago using donations from the families and friends of 240 men from the town who died in the First World War. Apparently it was purchased and laid out as a recreation ground under Public Health Acts.

In the Advertiser (MEN) August 2009, John Crompton, Chairman of Failsworth Historical Society. said: "Almost a century ago hundreds of people across the town contributed their hard earned cash to pay for a war memorial and two parks to honour the war dead."

I have no personal knowledge but I understand it to be a Memorial Park, created 85 years ago using donations from the families and friends of 240 men from the town who died in the First World War. Apparently it was purchased and laid out as a recreation ground under Public Health Acts.

In the Advertiser (MEN) August 2009, John Crompton, Chairman of Failsworth Historical Society. said: "Almost a century ago hundreds of people across the town contributed their hard earned cash to pay for a war memorial and two parks to honour the war dead."

But the land in dispute isn't part of the Park as I understand it, simply a patch of scrub land full of dog :censored:e that backs onto the park. That's from discussions I've had anyway, correct me if i'm wrong...

Edited by oafcprozac

Thank you. I had read the final paragraph of the Charities Commission summing-up as leaving the door very much open to a quick return. It's good to get the position clarified by somebody who understands and has experience of these matters.

From the Failsworth Green Party web site:

Failsworth West Green Councillor Ian Barker has always insisted this decision would be the outcome and has written to Oldham Council Chief Executive, Charlie Parker, asking the council not to appeal the decision given by the Charity Commission.

In the letter to the Chief Executive, Councillor Barker writes ‘I would urge the council not to appeal the decision of the Charity Commission re the land north of the Lancaster Club, instead focusing on working with Oldham Athletic to identify another site in the Borough. I feel an appeal or re-submission to the Commission would be fruitless and a waste of money’.

‘We should work progressively to find another solution and quickly, before we lose professional football in Oldham. By that I am not referring to Latics merely leaving the town, but to their existence'.

But the land in dispute isn't part of the Park as I understand it, simply a patch of srcub land full of dog :censored:e that backs onto the car-park. That's from discussions I've had anyway, correct me if i'm wrong...

As I said, I've no personal knowledge. What is clear is that the land required to make the stadium complex viable has charity land status and that's why the proposed swap involving other charity land was put forward (very badly) by the Council as the solution.