Failsworth Stadium Move Blocked

I really feel for Simon Corney, especially as he has put so much personal time and money into it.

From my untrainined and far away eye, it does seem like yet another Council cock up, very amateurish.

Clearly the devil is in the detail of the report.

I just hope there is a silver lining to this cloud.

I'd really like Deigo's view on this.

I'm pissed off, having read through the council stuff on the website I was hoping Diego was wrong on this but he was completley spot on. Which means that the Council has mishandled this so badly, so so badly. My opinion of them is just so low. If I handled things in the same way they have done, I wouldn't expect to be in a job.

The question is now, what are the Council going to do about it???

• Replies 362
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should we continue to use the name of a town that has in effect helped the club to die a slow death from its incompetent council to its apathetic public and its moaning NIMBY's? Do you say, I'm off watching 'Oldham' Athletic or do simply say, i'm off watching Latics? The town doesn't deserve to have a football league team bearing this backward borough's name...

If we left the borough, I'd start watching the Borough (formerly Oldham Town). And you really think that there wouldn't be NIMBYs wherever we tried to move?

We'll never agree on this one and falling out with each other achieves nothing.

If we left the borough, I'd start watching the Borough (formerly Oldham Town). And you really think that there wouldn't be NIMBYs wherever we tried to move?

Not falling out mate, just having a discussion - we disagree life goes on!

I'm pissed off, having read through the council stuff on the website I was hoping Diego was wrong on this but he was completley spot on. Which means that the Council has mishandled this so badly, so so badly. My opinion of them is just so low. If I handled things in the same way they have done, I wouldn't expect to be in a job.

The question is now, what are the Council going to do about it???

Ive mentioned before that once you get a council inlvolved with anything sports related it goes horribly wrong.

I remember John Battye on the Sheddings pitch saying the council will get them a new ground.

Ive mentioned before that once you get a council inlvolved with anything sports related it goes horribly wrong.

The whole project was risky from the start... Protected land... Council... Charity Commission's.. Moving out of the town (argue all you want but the average oldhamer dosen't see Failsworth as Oldham)..

Time to move on...

Think you've posted on the wrong site. Keep this sort of comment on the neandertal sites where the majority will find it amusing

Sorry Mr PC but people like you cause racism by even suggesting that mentioning a mosque is bordering on racism.

I suppose you would like to rename blackpool "anycolourpool"

It was a ligitimate comment and if you find that racist then you have a warped racist mind yourself.

why should they do anything?

it's not as if the people of Oldham will stop voting for them because they keep squandering their money is it?

you seem to be under the impression they're somehow accountable. :unsure:

True, the council will only be accountable if people make them accountable.

Sorry Mr PC but people like you cause racism by even suggesting that mentioning a mosque is bordering on racism.

I suppose you would like to rename blackpool "anycolourpool"

It was a ligitimate comment and if you find that racist then you have a warped racist mind yourself.

You're implying that the people of Failsworth wouldn't like a mosque in their area and would rather have a much hated football stadium there instead. I think a better choice of phrase from you at the start could have been a bit wiser.

True, the council will only be accountable if people make them accountable.

STATEMENT: OLDHAM COUNCIL 'DISAPPOINTED' BY CHARITY COMMISSION RULING

Oldham Council has expressed 'disappointment' at a new ruling from the Charity Commission on its' application to transfer charitable trust status on land in Failsworth.

Today's ruling relates to an application for a proposed land exchange which had been approved by the Failsworth Trust Committee - a sub-committee of Oldham Council's Cabinet - back in August 2010.

The Committee had applied to transfer the Trust status to two other sites in Failsworth at Medlock Vale/Vale Lane and Warwick Road/land to the rear of Leicester Road.

In a letter to Oldham Council, the Charity Commission has today stated that it is "not satisfied" that the proposed swap is in the interests of the charity.

Councillor John McCann, Cabinet Member for Environment and Regeneration, said: "We are extremely disappointed to read this decision by the Charity Commission."

"Their ruling contains a lot of detailed information which we are now urgently considering before deciding what we do next.

"There are several options open to us. We are examining the merits of each potential approach and we will make a public announcement as soon as we have made a final decision.

"One of those options is to appeal this decision which means it would be inappropriate for us to comment further on the matter at this stage."

Statement from Oldham Athletic Board of Directors

We have been advised by Oldham Metropolitan Borough Council that its application to transfer the charitable status held on land at Failsworth to two alternative sites has now been considered by the Charity Commission. The outcome at this time is that, on the basis of the information supplied by OMBC within the application, the Charity Commission is not satisfied that sufficient information has been provided to enable the Commission to exercise their power and permit the transfer to proceed.

Having waited patiently for many months for an outcome to this lengthy and frustrating process, we are not only shocked by this outcome, but bitterly disappointed.

At this time we need to take advice and review all of the options available to us. We need to carefully consider how we arrived at this wholly unsatisfactory position and what the next steps will be.

Our objective has always been, and remains, to provide a solution to the long term future of OAFC. Boundary Park cannot provide that, and it would appear that yet another genuine opportunity to cement that future has passed Oldham by.

Edited by oafcprozac

There will be NIMBYS that will oppose whatever scheme is put forward, wherever we end up playing.

I personally would follow Latics wherever they played. My affinity is to the club, not the town. But each to their own, like prosac said its a discussion, we disagree over some things, life goes on.

If due process is followed and we still get the red light, then you have to ask, where do we go next? And what future does the club have whilst under the duristiction of OMBC?

STATEMENT: OLDHAM COUNCIL 'DISAPPOINTED' BY CHARITY COMMISSION RULING

Oldham Council has expressed 'disappointment' at a new ruling from the Charity Commission on its' application to transfer charitable trust status on land in Failsworth.

Today's ruling relates to an application for a proposed land exchange which had been approved by the Failsworth Trust Committee - a sub-committee of Oldham Council's Cabinet - back in August 2010.

The Committee had applied to transfer the Trust status to two other sites in Failsworth at Medlock Vale/Vale Lane and Warwick Road/land to the rear of Leicester Road.

In a letter to Oldham Council, the Charity Commission has today stated that it is "not satisfied" that the proposed swap is in the interests of the charity.

Councillor John McCann, Cabinet Member for Environment and Regeneration, said: "We are extremely disappointed to read this decision by the Charity Commission."

"Their ruling contains a lot of detailed information which we are now urgently considering before deciding what we do next.

"There are several options open to us. We are examining the merits of each potential approach and we will make a public announcement as soon as we have made a final decision.

"One of those options is to appeal this decision which means it would be inappropriate for us to comment further on the matter at this stage."

Statement from Oldham Athletic Board of Directors

We have been advised by Oldham Metropolitan Borough Council that its application to transfer the charitable status held on land at Failsworth to two alternative sites has now been considered by the Charity Commission. The outcome at this time is that, on the basis of the information supplied by OMBC within the application, the Charity Commission is not satisfied that sufficient information has been provided to enable the Commission to exercise their power and permit the transfer to proceed.

Having waited patiently for many months for an outcome to this lengthy and frustrating process, we are not only shocked by this outcome, but bitterly disappointed.

At this time we need to take advice and review all of the options available to us. We need to carefully consider how we arrived at this wholly unsatisfactory position and what the next steps will be.

Our objective has always been, and remains, to provide a solution to the long term future of OAFC. Boundary Park cannot provide that, and it would appear that yet another genuine opportunity to cement that future has passed Oldham by.

Looks like I was right in my post about a statement from the council....

:wink:

I expect that Charile Parker will be releasing a statement.

He wants a new stadium, its going to be an interesting few weeks that for sure,

Its not just about a stadium, its about private investment, its about jobs, at a time when the council are facing cuts. I said yesterday, it's a no brainer. The council should have made it happen and in my oppinion could have made it happen if they did their job properly. It wasn't turned down on a technicality, it was turned down because there process was 'weak'.

You're implying that the people of Failsworth wouldn't like a mosque in their area and would rather have a much hated football stadium there instead. I think a better choice of phrase from you at the start could have been a bit wiser.

No i was just implying what would the reaction me if it was a mosque ,Mcdonalds or any other building instead of a football ground.

maybe the phrase could have been a bit better worded but as usual the PC brigade get on board.

the bottom line is the council are not interested in OAFC.

Edited by losesome