The Official OWTB Cricket World Cup Thread

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Simon Hughes I think it was, was only half paying attention as I had it on at work.

The thing that strikes me about the first three matches England have played is, that whenever possible we need to bat second and hope we can chase down even big totals.

Our bowling is so poor I wouldn't be confident in us defending any score against anyone.

From Twatter....

I love that cricket in Irish is "iomáin gallda", which translates as 'foreign hurling'.

I like this.

Basically if we beat Bangladesh- which we should do, it doesn't matter that Ireland beat us. I'd fancy England over the WI as well. I think we'll still come third in the group- which is where I would have predicted we ended up prior to the WC starting. That means we'll face the looser of OZ v. SL in the quarters, where if we play to how we can play we'll have a very good chance of winning.

It would have been interesting to see what would have happened if it had actually been Ireland v. England (+Wales) and we'd left the Saffers out of it.

England's problem is the bowling, we are actually batting well with quite a few players in good nick.

The bowling has been absolutely woeful, I know they are dead flat tracks that don't assist bowlers in anyway, but other teams are bowling far more successfully and economically than us.

We have bowled just short of 150 overs in the competition for 959 runs and 2 of the opponents have been Netherlands and Ireland, that is just not good enough.

We need to go back to basics and start bowling properly.

I don't understand why we don't use Pieterson more when the other bowlers are losing their way.

He offers something a little different, something the opposition aren't used to and can certainly turn a ball on wickets like that.

I'm not saying give him 10 overs a game, but just a couple of overs when things are against us can take the sting out of opposing batsmen.

SA require 45 runs to win with 4 wickets left ... SS2 ... worth watching another close finish.

For 7

Suddenly got a lot more interesting after I turned it on half an hour ago muttering FFS!!!! England - turned it off to watch the Saints highlights and we'd grabbed another 4 - game on!!!

Oh dear- we can still qualify if we loose to the WI but Ireland v. Bangladesh needs to be a draw/tie. This is worse than watching Latics, brilliant for spells against 2 of the best teams in the competition but poor against two of the worse and dodgy against another bad team.

We have really managed to out do ourselves today, we batted pretty poorly, but the bowling was again unbelievably bad, 23 wides in a low scoring game is just ridiculous, Jimmy Anderson will never be an international limited overs bowler as long as he draws breath.

We now realistically need to beat the WI to qualify from a group that contained Ireland, Netherlands and Bangladesh, we don't deserve to qualify given our performances.

Edited by Hometownclub

Jimmy Anderson will never be an international limited overs bowler as long as he draws breath.

What makes him a test bowler, takes away his ability to be a limited overs bowler. He puts up tempting balls which get wickets but cost runs.

As I said in my early post, the team is knackered. I don't think we'll make it now, and I think it will be better for the tournament myself (i.e. Bingabangladesh make it).

Still. It ain't proper cricket at least.

Edited by OldhamSheridan

We have really managed to out do ourselves today, we batted pretty poorly, but the bowling was again unbelievably bad, 23 wides in a low scoring game is just ridiculous, Jimmy Anderson will never be an international limited overs bowler as long as he draws breath.

We now realistically need to beat the WI to qualify from a group that contained Ireland, Netherlands and Bangladesh, we don't deserve to qualify given our performances.

That is extremely harsh on the Burnley Express. He's off form at the moment- possibly because he's tired, after all Swann aside no other bowler playing for England in the WC played in all the ashes tests.

I might drop him for the next game though as it will be where we beat SA which was a spinner's pitch, considering we haven't got KP to play I might pick Yardy/Tredwell/both. I think Jimmy hasn't quite got the variation of some of the other top line fast bowlers in international cricket, and this variation is becoming increasingly important. But to say he won't be an international limited overs bowler shows you have a selective memory.

That is extremely harsh on the Burnley Express. He's off form at the moment- possibly because he's tired, after all Swann aside no other bowler playing for England in the WC played in all the ashes tests.

I might drop him for the next game though as it will be where we beat SA which was a spinner's pitch, considering we haven't got KP to play I might pick Yardy/Tredwell/both. I think Jimmy hasn't quite got the variation of some of the other top line fast bowlers in international cricket, and this variation is becoming increasingly important. But to say he won't be an international limited overs bowler shows you have a selective memory.

TBH honest I've never rated him as a limited overs bowler, even for Lancs, he's just to expensive.

I agree he is knackered and I would definately leave him out for the WI game.

To see him death bowling today (against Bangladesh) and constantly bowling wides was agonising to watch.

TBH honest I've never rated him as a limited overs bowler, even for Lancs, he's just to expensive.

I agree he is knackered and I would definately leave him out for the WI game.

To see him death bowling today (against Bangladesh) and constantly bowling wides was agonising to watch.

I don't think Strauss got his bowling options right today. He'd have been better served not bowling Shazad out and giving Jimmy at least an over (and probably more) when they were on the ropes. Or even bowling Collingwood, who I think is often underused as a bowler, more as he had been quite economical and that was when the batsmen were not under too much pressure.