• No
    • yes, Christian
    • yes, Buddhist
    • yes, Hindhu
    • yes, Jewish
    • yes, Muslim
    • yes, Sikh
    • yes, some other religion

It was a little remarked upon fact that the legislation to equalise the age of consent also ended the shameful injustice that criminalised Honest Englishmen for buggering their wives in the privacy of their own home. So there is progress once in a while.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:lol:

You and I both know that doesn't count! :)

But it does really in the context of an elected house which I am sure is what we both want from the second chamber...

It counts about as much as me voting for someone I feel upholds my Christian values within an elected house who isn't a full on vicar etc. One would imagine that peer would be concerning himself with equal rights for gay people.

The fact is that the second house is not a proper mix and instead of nit picking of who sits in that house under the present system we need to push for it to become fully elected and then the people who sit in it are their on merit and not entitlement. In the end I think you will see a pretty similar mix of people and ideas to be honest.

Edited by oafc0000

But it does really in the context of an elected house which I am sure is what we both want from the second chamber...

It counts about as much as me voting for someone I feel upholds my Christian values within an elected house who isn't a full on vicar etc. One would imagine that peer would be concerning himself with equal rights for gay people.

The fact is that the second house is not a proper mix and instead of nit picking of who sits in that house under the present system we need to push for it to become fully elected and then the people who sit in it are their on merit and not entitlement. In the end I think you will see a pretty similar mix of people and ideas to be honest.

But at the moment it is not elected and a range of Christian 'leaders' have a right to a seat as representative of their community. A Gay does not have that unquestioned right and that's what I oppose. Someone being Gay but selected for their political allegiance is not comparable.

I agree that it shouldn't exist at all in it's current form, but as long as we have an unelected house I want to see it be as varied and balanced as possible in it's representatives.

But at the moment it is not elected and a range of Christian 'leaders' have a right to a seat as representative of their community. A Gay does not have that unquestioned right and that's what I oppose. Someone being Gay but selected for their political allegiance is not comparable.

I agree that it shouldn't exist at all in it's current form, but as long as we have an unelected house I want to see it be as varied and balanced as possible in it's representatives.

I don't see the solution as Christians losing their representation. The solution would be for the conclusion of Gay groups in some form in the house then.

I am more interested in changing the fundamentals of what is wrong rather than nit pick at what is a wrong system.

I don't see the solution as Christians losing their representation. The solution would be for the conclusion of Gay groups in some form in the house then.

I am more interested in changing the fundamentals of what is wrong rather than nit pick at what is a wrong system.

I agree the concern should be with changing the system in the long run. However in the short term I think that the multiple Christian representatives could be reduced and the number of other minority rep's increased to try and bring some fairness to the situation.

I agree the concern should be with changing the system in the long run. However in the short term I think that the multiple Christian representatives could be reduced and the number of other minority rep's increased to try and bring some fairness to the situation.

I don't see why... There are between 50% (various independent polls) to 70% (Census) Christians in this country... We are probably under represented if anything...

Maybe when you have 50% to 70% of people standing up saying they are gay you can expect such poor representation within a corrupt house :)

And perhaps when social groups aside from Christians have ANY representation of any kind you can have a footing for your under-represented position.

And perhaps when social groups aside from Christians have ANY representation of any kind you can have a footing for your under-represented position.

I don't understand why gays require particular representation. They're the same when it suits but not when it doesn't?

Yes they deserve equality but this should be brought about by there being no mention of them in any legislation or the like whatsoever. As soon as you start drawing distinctions, they're not equal.

I don't understand why gays require particular representation. They're the same when it suits but not when it doesn't?

Yes they deserve equality but this should be brought about by there being no mention of them in any legislation or the like whatsoever. As soon as you start drawing distinctions, they're not equal.

They were the example from the earlier articles which I've 'ran' with.

But conversely why do Christians deserve or require particular representation?

Fair point...

• 10 months later...