Earthquake and Tsunami in Japan

razza699

• Replies 111
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am a :censored:, yes, but not because of this. I haven't said anything remotely offensive. You're understandably a little tense at the moment, so I'll put your oversensitivity down to this.

Although I've a good mind to take back my Red Cross donation <_<

Then take it back. Your choice. Imaginary money doesn't count for much.

You've not "said anything remotely offensive". Well, in your own silly, mind. Do you really need to be quoted?

Meanwhile, think of the orphaned, the dead, and soon-to-die folk, tvvat.

KC

Someone once said offence is taken rather than given. Which I always take to mean a cessation and an apology is fair and justified if (ok when) I've unintentionally offended somebody.

Anyway...

In the midst of this obsession with Fukushima, I can't help feeling we (those of us following distantly by media) run the risk of losing perspective and forgetting the awful plight of many thousands more who were in the path of the tsunami. Whole communities literally wiped away without trace; even with the saturation (NO pun intended) footage on our news channels I find it incredibly difficult to come to terms with the true human cost.

Someone once said offence is taken rather than given. Which I always take to mean a cessation and an apology is fair and justified if (ok when) I've unintentionally offended somebody.

Okay. KC, I'm sorry you were offended.

This thread is :censored:ing brilliant!

It's like Springer in here.

Who's next to have a tiff?

Come on, roll up, roll up...

I think you underestimate the gravity of the situation. This thread is a great insight into what makes people on here tick. And in some cases, it's a Geiger counter.

I think you underestimate the gravity of the situation. This thread is a great insight into what makes people on here tick. And in some cases, a Geiger counter.

Perhaps.

Does that mean I get my kicks from being exceptionally sarcastic and somewhat irreverent... oh, I see...

In the midst of this obsession with Fukushima, I can't help feeling we (those of us following distantly by media) run the risk of losing perspective and forgetting the awful plight of many thousands more who were in the path of the tsunami. Whole communities literally wiped away without trace; even with the saturation (NO pun intended) footage on our news channels I find it incredibly difficult to come to terms with the true human cost.

To be frank I would be very surprised if anyone could forget their plight... Its just there for all to see. Ackeys video and others show how awful it was and how awful it still is.

The situation at the power plant is obviously linked into how quickly the communities around the plant can rebuild. God willing (or otherwise) power will be restored to the pumps and they can get some water in the core and everything can be focused on the clean up.

I just can't imagine just how bad it must be for all the affected people :( Its truly awful...

I :censored:ing give up.

You think this :censored:ing :censored: is funny?

FWIFW, I've refugees in my house, extended family in danger, and pals with their kids sat stranded for lack of gas 60 miles from the blast site :censored:ting bricks. Not to mention the continuing earthquakes and threat of tsunami; or the dead, or the folk dying as you get your jollies.

Bravo. Maybe you and zorro should start a book/thread on the eventual death toll. You could call it:

"Two tvvats in the morning."

Any more for any more?

KC

I wrote a smart alec reply earlier but decided not to post it and was going to leave it but just come across this article which says some of the things I put in my post - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12775389

Of course I empathise with your situation and hope you and your loved ones get back to normality as soon as possible, or a different normality better than the one before the quake. Now for the inevitable BUT, this world isn't all fluffy bunnies and banana smoothies, in the time it's taken me to type this thousands of people have died from preventable diseases, other people will have been killed through acts of another human and others from acts of nature. All in the time it has taken to read this.

The situation in Japan is horrifying, I honeymooned in Khao Lak in Thailand about 3 years after their tsunami, you could see scratch marks on the bottom of one of the pools where debris had been dragged across, marks on the walls and other obvious signs of what had happened. A bar area at another pool had seriously corroded steelwork, it was about 5 metres above sea-level, the tsunami that hit it was about 10 metres. If we'd been there at the time, our room would have just about been dry, but only just. I'm not justifying my comment, just saying that I've seen first hand the effect of one of the most destructive forces of nature. This may make my insensitivity worse, I don't know.

The comment from Zorro that I replied to referenced a computer game called Fallout, which as the name suggests is about a post-nuclear incident future. Power-ups in the game that deal with radiation are rad-x, radaway and stimpaks are healthpacks. His comment was tasteless, as was mine, you were offended by my comment as other people probably were and I apologise to you for the offence you felt but I do not apologising for making the comment.

I'm sure you have other far more pressing matters to deal with than what some lumbering, brainless, insensitive :censored: dribbles on to a message board and I hope that the authorities get the situation at Fukushima under control quickly and safely. I hope too that the infrastructure of Japan gets back up to speed and quickly as this is the thing that will see the death toll rise the most if food, fuel and essential supplies are restored. Finally, I don't want to run a book on the final toll, the 2004 quake & tsunami showed what can happen to an area affected by these events.

I wrote a smart alec reply earlier but decided not to post it and was going to leave it but just come across this article which says some of the things I put in my post - http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-12775389

Of course I empathise with your situation and hope you and your loved ones get back to normality as soon as possible, or a different normality better than the one before the quake. Now for the inevitable BUT, this world isn't all fluffy bunnies and banana smoothies, in the time it's taken me to type this thousands of people have died from preventable diseases, other people will have been killed through acts of another human and others from acts of nature. All in the time it has taken to read this.

The situation in Japan is horrifying, I honeymooned in Khao Lak in Thailand about 3 years after their tsunami, you could see scratch marks on the bottom of one of the pools where debris had been dragged across, marks on the walls and other obvious signs of what had happened. A bar area at another pool had seriously corroded steelwork, it was about 5 metres above sea-level, the tsunami that hit it was about 10 metres. If we'd been there at the time, our room would have just about been dry, but only just. I'm not justifying my comment, just saying that I've seen first hand the effect of one of the most destructive forces of nature. This may make my insensitivity worse, I don't know.

The comment from Zorro that I replied to referenced a computer game called Fallout, which as the name suggests is about a post-nuclear incident future. Power-ups in the game that deal with radiation are rad-x, radaway and stimpaks are healthpacks. His comment was tasteless, as was mine, you were offended by my comment as other people probably were and I apologise to you for the offence you felt but I do not apologising for making the comment.

I'm sure you have other far more pressing matters to deal with than what some lumbering, brainless, insensitive :censored: dribbles on to a message board and I hope that the authorities get the situation at Fukushima under control quickly and safely. I hope too that the infrastructure of Japan gets back up to speed and quickly as this is the thing that will see the death toll rise the most if food, fuel and essential supplies are restored. Finally, I don't want to run a book on the final toll, the 2004 quake & tsunami showed what can happen to an area affected by these events.

Thank you for the thought you put into your post, Beag.

Aplogies for not getting the (prolly made in Japan) video game reference, life be for living and wotnot.

Anyway, here's me orchard, 5 meters above sea level.

boxfromback.th.jpg

And here's what was happening up the coast at the same time:

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=3a7_1301163352

:shock:

You can joke at the situation, but I can't. Not whilst I'm sending parcels of baby food and housing atomic refugees.

As for our swashbuckling Zorro, enjoy the mirror in the morning, tvvat, and be thankful it's not you or your community gone in 3 minutes flat.

Find it funny? :censored: you.

KC

Edited by kirinclassic

There is a theory that the Bristol Channel was overwhelmed by a tsunami in 1607.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bristol_Channel_floods,_1607

http://www.theconstructioncentre.co.uk/flood-advice/flood-risks-in-the-uk.html

I watched a documentary (Horizon? about the same time as the Professors' paper was printed in 2001, make no bones about it the La Palma volcano will erupt and the arse end of the Island will fall into the Atlantic. It is a scary thought...

I watched a documentary (Horizon? about the same time as the Professors' paper was printed in 2001, make no bones about it the La Palma volcano will erupt and the arse end of the Island will fall into the Atlantic. It is a scary thought…

PS hope Kirin and the rest of our brethren are keeping safe in the land of the Rising Sun. Best wishes to you all, I can't hope to begin to understand what people have been experiencing over there….

...life be for living and wotnot.

Indeedy! Good to clear the air and hope you're ok?

I've been watching BBCNews24 since about 5pm today and think I've seen Japan mentioned once, maybe twice, sorry bud but to the western media the earthquake is yesterday's news. :disappointed: Even Fukashima has stopped being "sexy" You might get a few "puff pieces" in 6 months on a slow newsday here. :disappointed: I'm sure it is a different story closer to were you are though.

You can joke at the situation, but I can't. Not whilst I'm sending parcels of baby food and housing atomic refugees.

No, I wouldn't expect you to and nor should you. I'm pretty desensitised to life, I read/watch too much news coverage, hope things start to pick up over there, it was just incredible watching the footage and hearing the first hand reports.

I was going to comment on here today about the fact that Japan has been well and truly bumped from the news reports due to Libya and some mildly attractive white woman being murdered, sadly for the media the murderer has already coughed and directed the police to another body so we are denied a protracted hunt for victims. The worst part of the Japanese disaster is unfolding now, now is the time the country needs the most help.

• 2 weeks later...