'Stephens wants to stay a Saint'

Should I stay at a large club with fantastic facilities that will give me the chance of Championship football or return to a decrepit backwater that's slowly going bust.

Not really a difficult choice is it?

Don;t forget the gi-massive salary icnrease too.

When ordinary people look to develop their career they are praised for their ambition and foresight.

So how come with footballers everyone assumes it's just about the money?

I don't blame Stephens for wanting to further his career and to be in a better place to do so. The money is almost incidental.

Or, Stephens' agent wants him to stay a Saint until another better offer comes along.

Nothing wrong with that if that is also what Stephens wants. A better offer will ultimatly mean Stephens is doing the business at the Saints and the agent is doing his job.

Why the hell would any footballer want to stay at Latics over a club like Southampton?

Exactly, hes probably going to get a big wage increase and possibly play in the Championship in the next year or so. Play for a bigger club at a better stadium in front of x6 more fans than he does at BP and play with better players.

Or he could stick it out with us and play in front of 4000 fans for the next 3 or 4 years in league one or two at a miserable stadium on less money.

I dont understand why we allowed him to go at this stage of the season but i totally understand why he would want to leave

Scott Spencer may have regretted his move to Everton.

Ask Taylor aswell, am sure he can tell you.

Had spencer even played a football league game for us? There is no gaurentee he would have made it with us either. As has hasnt made it since leaving Everton with his release from both Yeovil and Southend

Taylor is from Oldham and has supported the club since he was a boy, thats different, just like if me or you played for the club it would take a little more for you to move away than your average player.

Ask Eardley or even Wellens if he regrets it, thats a fairer comparison

Edited by NIKI1234

Less than two years he might have done, as Southampton went into Administration, were handed a 10 point deduction, and relegated to the dreaded League One.

Aye, they tried to avoid the 10 point deduction via what they thought was a loophole over the owning company, and immediately after coming out of Administration spent a million pounds on Ricky Lambert, you couldn't make it up.

In the rarely-wrong Chron's story of Stephens being keen to stay at Southampton, Stephens only says:

“I’d like to think so, but as far as I know it’s just a loan at the moment, so hopefully I’ll play games here and impress the gaffer," Stephens told the Southampton club website.

"I'm delighted to be here and I’ll take every game as it comes because it’s a test for me, but a good opportunity too, so we’ll see what comes of that.”

All of which is stating the obvious, but may be interpreted by readers as a declaration of the player's intent never to return to Latics. They might be proved right eventually, but then again they might not.

I cannot see him coming back, although they are in League one Southampton are sadly a far bigger club maybe if they stay down give the boo boys something to jeer at next season when he scores past us. I said elsewhere this is a loophole first used by Forest when they signed Nathan Tyson, take him on loan and then snap him up for good.

In the rarely-wrong Chron's story of Stephens being keen to stay at Southampton, Stephens only says:

“I’d like to think so, but as far as I know it’s just a loan at the moment, so hopefully I’ll play games here and impress the gaffer," Stephens told the Southampton club website.

"I'm delighted to be here and I’ll take every game as it comes because it’s a test for me, but a good opportunity too, so we’ll see what comes of that.”

All of which is stating the obvious, but may be interpreted by readers as a declaration of the player's intent never to return to Latics. They might be proved right eventually, but then again they might not.

Which is the exact 2 quotes from Sky Sports, good scoop in the Chron then!!

Probably just the same as Sky Sports said on Monday

link