AV referendum - how will you be voting and why?

AV yes or no?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How will you be voting?

• Yes
    • No

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You do what you want, flower. I don't really care so long as you vote Labour in your council elections, now you know that your general election vote for the Liberals was a bit silly.

Got Cameron in without directly nailing my blue colours to the mast. Genius, nowt silly about it.

If this is a gag... ha! If this is a gag with some truth to it you need AV now!!

Tangent, I know, but yes and no. There still aren't any more than proof-of-concept Mac viruses (as far as I know). Some exploits for software flaws, but that's not the same thing.

I do run AV, but it seems a bit pointless. Firewall, run as a limited user (not an administrator), don't visit naughty sites - should be sufficient most of the time.

Tangent, I know, but yes and no. There still aren't any more than proof-of-concept Mac viruses (as far as I know). Some exploits for software flaws, but that's not the same thing.

I do run AV, but it seems a bit pointless. Firewall, run as a limited user (not an administrator), don't visit naughty sites - should be sufficient most of the time.

Can't be arsed with AV on my Mac for similar reasons... I will just rebuild it from Time Machine if it all goes tits up...

As recently as the 28th of Feb (to my knowledge, there may be more) there was new Malware discovered on a Mac. They're immeasurably better than PC's - this goes without saying. But they're only as secure as you make them and if you're using the internets without an AV and a Firewall then you're asking for trouble no matter which platform you're working from!

Edit.

Malicious files that use the the scripting capability of Microsoft Media Player to infect Windows machines have emerged as the main threat detected on the machines of Apple users who have taken advantage of Sophos' recent offer of a freebie anti-malware scanner application.

Can't be arsed with AV on my Mac for similar reasons... I will just rebuild it from Time Machine if it all goes tits up...

This is no good if you've been backing up the Malware!!

not arsed to be honest... Im just not arsed :D

Two responses to this...

1. Fair enough, it's your decision not to protect yourself from fraud and the like.

2. The Internet is a community and you have a responsibility to be a contributing member of it. By not protecting your machine you not only put the data of those using it at risk but also anyone whose email address you hold, whose website you visit and so forth. There's a bigger picture.

Also there are things out there which can't be recovered from (PC wise) if the vicious :censored:s decide to kill you machine. I'm not aware of these on a Mac as it stands. However giving them unrestricted access to your machine isn't going to help Apple keep their position as reasonably untouchable.

Just advice, take and leave what you want from it.

I don't agree with the "not arsed" approach, but the UNIX roots make a difference. If you don't run as an admin, aren't running Windows on a partition, and use a firewall, that's not bad protection.

I do run ClamXAV, but it's found nothing in about three years.

1. Fair enough, it's your decision not to protect yourself from fraud and the like.

I had three emails this week from various companies (Play, Marks and Spencers and GoGrid) about how they have been passing my personal details (including payment card information) around like a whore in a crack house. Trust me, with the amount of data out there via these reputable companies the last place fraud is going to happen is my computer... mmmkay....

2. The Internet is a community and you have a responsibility to be a contributing member of it.

No I dont... Make me :)

Look... It is a fact that the chances of getting malware etc is greatly reduced by using a Mac. As much as I hate this over priced piece of junk that remains a fact. Another fact is that if you don't visit :censored:ty dodgy websites and you don't open dodgy emails then your chances of getting anything nasty is even further reduced.

My windows PC has AV protection (mainly because its my main work PC and my clients demand I have AV installed) and my mac has naff all. How many times have I been done for fraud ?? Once, in 1998, someone did £999 (in three £333 transactions) on a betting site. The money was refunded in a mater of hours. Sorry, unless you want to go throwing your computer at dodgy websites you really don't need it.... (hence most people need it :D )

My hardware firewall keeps naughty people out :)

Edited by oafc0000

I don't agree with the "not arsed" approach, but the UNIX roots make a difference. If you don't run as an admin, aren't running Windows on a partition, and use a firewall, that's not bad protection.

I do run ClamXAV, but it's found nothing in about three years.

Basic protection. It's enough if you're careful.

I had three emails this week from various companies (Play, Marks and Spencers and GoGrid) about how they have been passing my personal details (including payment card information) around like a whore in a crack house. Trust me, with the amount of data out there via these reputable companies the last place fraud is going to happen is my computer... mmmkay....

Indeed!

No I dont... Make me :)

Not very Christian of you! :wink:

Look... It is a fact that the chances of getting malware etc is greatly reduced by using a Mac. As much as I hate this over priced piece of junk that remains a fact. Another fact is that if you don't visit :censored:ty dodgy websites and you don't open dodgy emails then your chances of getting anything nasty is even further reduced.

My windows PC has AV protection (mainly because its my main work PC and my clients demand I have AV installed) and my mac has naff all. How many times have I been done for fraud ?? Once, in 1998, someone did £999 (in three £333 transactions) on a betting site. The money was refunded in a mater of hours. Sorry, unless you want to go throwing your computer at dodgy websites you really don't need it.... (hence most people need it :D )

My hardware firewall keeps naughty people out :)

I guess I see it as unnecessary risk, which working in the role I do I do all I can to avoid as I see the damage it can do. That's your call though.

Basic protection. It's enough if you're careful.

Indeed!

Not very Christian of you! :wink:

I guess I see it as unnecessary risk, which working in the role I do I do all I can to avoid as I see the damage it can do. That's your call though.

You have to also appreciate the role I work in as well is not a none technical role B)

I ain't the problem... Its the silly bat at number 32 who just accepted the "free" virus scan from a pop window :D

Edited by oafc0000

I bet you buy mobile phone insurance don't you :)

After losing my iPhone I do... if you can suggest another way of ensuring I get the £400 for it which doesn't involve me paying for insurance I am more than happy to listen :)

After losing my iPhone I do... if you can suggest another way of ensuring I get the £400 for it which doesn't involve me paying for insurance I am more than happy to listen :)

Don't lose it B)

AV and Insurance was made for people like you :D To presume everyone is as careless as you is a failing in your logic :D

Edited by oafc0000

Don't lose it B)

AV and Insurance was made for people like you :D To presume everyone is as careless as you is a failing in your logic :D

And to presume that your vigilance is enough is as equally flawed. Someone may mug me of my phone, equally someone might attack your computer.

I'd be astounded and concerned to learn that you have no insurance of any kind. Especially as you're legally obliged to have car insurance.

And to presume that your vigilance is enough is as equally flawed. Someone may mug me of my phone, equally someone might attack your computer.

I'd be astounded and concerned to learn that you have no insurance of any kind. Especially as you're legally obliged to have car insurance.

Company Car :)

I have house insurance.. and health insurance through the company... Travel insurance as well... Very different insurance's than phone insurance :P

I have never lost a phone... Got my first mobile in 1996... So thats 15 years I am up on paying some rip off company £7 or so a month. If I change the habit of a lifetime and lose a phone then I will still be up :D