AV referendum - how will you be voting and why?

AV yes or no?  

32 members have voted

1. 1. How will you be voting?

• Yes
    • No

Company Car :)

I have house insurance.. and health insurance through the company... Travel insurance as well... Very different insurance's than phone insurance :P

I have never lost a phone... Got my first mobile in 1996... So thats 15 years I am up on paying some rip off company £7 or so a month. If I change the habit of a lifetime and lose a phone then I will still be up :D

Travel insurance is comparable. The other two I accept are less so.

The chance of you injuring yourself during a week in the sun is lower than the chance of getting hit crossing the street. If you're going to be pedantic about things I will too.

I don't have £400 disposable income to pay for my phone should I lose it or should it be stolen and so I pay a small amount per month to protect it.

I live in a rough city, go out drinking regularly and walk home in the early hours... I don't wear trackies and rockport meaning that walk home often has me as a standout candidate. I'm cautious and aware but equally I'm aware that I could have my phone taken from me.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Travel insurance is comparable. The other two I accept are less so.

The chance of you injuring yourself during a week in the sun is lower than the chance of getting hit crossing the street. If you're going to be pedantic about things I will too.

I don't have £400 disposable income to pay for my phone should I lose it or should it be stolen and so I pay a small amount per month to protect it.

I live in a rough city, go out drinking regularly and walk home in the early hours... I don't wear trackies and rockport meaning that walk home often has me as a standout candidate. I'm cautious and aware but equally I'm aware that I could have my phone taken from me.

Yes yes... You have been scared into buying the insurance... The corporations work here is done :)

Travel insurance isn't comparable. You have to be a real bellend to travel without it. Its not just about having an accident. You might have an heart attack out of the blue and you are going to want protecting and caring for.

Your health is tad more important than a phone you could live without while you find £20 to replace it :)

Edited by oafc0000

What the :censored: are you dribbling on about now? :lol:

Well it seems that Ackey is allowed to reply and push his opinion but you have a problem with me doing the same...

At least Ackey has the ability to argue a point. I haven't quite worked out your value to the developing discussion. Other than to rail road it into personals...

Troll ? Sorry for having a differing view... Deary me Ackey...

You know by now, I hope, that I don't object to debate or different views.

But you made a tenuous link between AV usage and Insurance. I accepted this for what it was and continued the debate.

You then said that my comparison of insuring two luxury items wasn't valid.

You see why it comes across as you not being willing to accept other peoples view? Why it comes across that you will disagree no matter what? Why it comes across as trolling?

I've nowt on at work at the moment, just eating some lunch, so I've entertained myself talking it through with you.

You know by now, I hope, that I don't object to debate or different views.

But you made a tenuous link between AV usage and Insurance. I accepted this for what it was and continued the debate.

You then said that my comparison of insuring two luxury items wasn't valid.

You see why it comes across as you not being willing to accept other peoples view? Why it comes across that you will disagree no matter what? Why it comes across as trolling?

I've nowt on at work at the moment, just eating some lunch, so I've entertained myself talking it through with you.

...and there we go. The sometimes never-appearing end statement, a true internets rarity.

I didn't have phone cover, but was covered on my house insurance. Phone stolen, successfully claimed, next year the premiums went up. Now I have phone cover (although part of a bank account extras deal that also adds extended warranty to purchases).

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my postal voting form and voted No :)

The wording of the question was pretty straight forward. Can't remember the exact question but it says The collation Government are suggesting change from the "First past the post system" to the Alternative Vote system. Do you support this change ?

Yes or No

Not very loaded and pretty straight forward.

I think I'm coming back to a yes vote.

AV isn't the answer for me but I have a strong desire for total political reform, not just electoral reform. I fear that if this referendum results in a no vote then it boots reform off the agenda for decades and we will be stuck with FPTP, The Lords and the current commons where the sides are separated by just over 2 sabres length to stop duelling but just results in adversarial politics that gets us nowhere.

Now we know about 0000's views on protection and insurance, one wonders whether he believes in contraception... <_<

I'm still minded to vote NO because AV really isn't the answer, and I think this whole referendum is a sham concocted by the three parties for their own self-interests.

However I do have great sympathy with beag_teeets' view. Maybe this is the best chance we have of any significant political reform in our life time.

Damn.