LOTW - 10/5/07 - Jon Hallworth

Stevie_J

lotwhallworthzz9.jpg

Welcome to the seventh Latics Legend of the Week. This week it's a man who, in my book, was something of unsung hero in our halcyon Joe Royle days, Jon Hallworth.

We're looking for you, our members, to post their memories, anecdotes and stories of our weekly Legend!!!

Met him in a pub? Go to school with his Mrs? Go to school with him? Get hit by his car?
Anything and everything!

If you have access to some season stat's or career stat's then post them too, pictures, videos, songs!?
Post them all!!

So, Get Posting!!

A couple of very simple rules:
1. Please stay on the topic of a single legend at once... it probably apparent why by now.
(If you would like to suggest an upcoming legend then please feel free to PM me)
2. Please don't post anything which may subject you to libel... as OWTB cannot be held responsible for that.
3. Have fun!

Jon hallworth is my all time latics hero.... I grew up wanting to be a golkeeper (stupidly!) because of him.. massive unsung hero, such a pity he had a dip in form for the 1990 cup final, but Rhodes deserved his shout.... suppose he got the chance to play there a few years later... for that goal....

Have met him a couple of times.... first point was on my 10th birthday.... had a prty at delph club and a friend of a friend got him to come.... have a picture of me wearing an oldham tracksuit, the red bovis shirt, stood with him looking absolutely awestruck.... I love that picture...

I also had the proud moment to play for his team in the latics juniors summer soccer school - circa 1991. We rocked.

The other time was about two years ago at the lapergola restuarant in Denshaw... he turned up.... and again I ended up in the awestruck state as above.... think i said something stupid and drunken to him...

He was a great keeper... his shot stopping was awesome... just unfortunate he is also remebered for his sometimes erratic cross collection and kicking.... would be my all time best latics keeper - no contest...

A true hero of the pich me season! (s)

Edited by BigfinLatic

I remember Jon Hallworth mainly as a very good shot stopper but a bit suspect on crosses, he certainly was a very unsung hero during the late eigthies and early nineties. He was a very decent keeper but never seemed to get many plaudits.

Away from the game he had a real reputation as a ladies man and he was often seen in pubs in and around Oldham 'on the pull' as it were, he was very successful too by all accounts.

Anyone notice how similar the descriptions of Hallworth are to a certain 'keeper we have at the moment... and who should also be given more credit than he is by most!

Both; great stoppers... supect on crosses... kicking not 100%... have questionable haircuts... one has a stunning Mrs (from what I'm told?), the other liked the ladies... they could be farther and son!

Hallworth was a legend... simply because he played in his pajamas and was still good!

Guest sheridans_world

When i went to the Latics Soccer schools, he was one of the coaches, nice guy. Went to the summer soccer schools about 3 times.

I think he took me round for X birthday when i went to BP. Cant remeber which birthday it was but i remeber scoring a goal on the BP pitch (which i also did at half-time a few years ago, from the penalty spot with the then chaddy in net). I also remeber going in the dressing rooms. Anyway nice bloke.

I started a,"Club Boozer," thread on JKL a few years ago, I seem to recall a tale involving a not so mysteriously obtained hand injury late on a Friday night and him having to fake having done it by catching the ball the next afternoon?

Didn't he used to drive a small sports car? The guy is huge, how did he fit in. Saw him in Monty's a few times. Good keeper, though not our best.

A red one I think it was, but no so small, wasn't it one of them convertable mercs. Saw him once parking in the car park at Tesco in Sudden, next minute him and the blonde with him are shopping in the fruit and veg at the same time as us, he dropped a big melon I kid you not :lol:

I started a,"Club Boozer," thread on JKL a few years ago, I seem to recall a tale involving a not so mysteriously obtained hand injury late on a Friday night and him having to fake having done it by catching the ball the next afternoon?

Yes, I'm afraid that all John's good work for Latics was undone when he let us down on the eve of our game at Old Trafford. He received a hand injury in the early hours of the morning of the game and spent time in the A & E Department at Oldham Hospital.

It was the game when we were only allowed to have a minute number of fans present, as OT was being redeveloped. Hallworth let in three goals in next to no time, and was treated for what appeared to be a hand injury. We didn't know the real reason until it was reported in the rarely wrong Chron on the Monday.

In the second half ManUre knocked the ball about without trying to score. Joe Royle was big mates with Taggart, and I'm convinced to this day that Taggart told his lads not to embarrass Joe. It finished 3-0 but I consider Hallworth's unprofessional attitude was unforgivable.

A red one I think it was, but no so small, wasn't it one of them convertable mercs. Saw him once parking in the car park at Tesco in Sudden, next minute him and the blonde with him are shopping in the fruit and veg at the same time as us, he dropped a big melon I kid you not :lol:

:grin:

i know he had a black vw sciroco at one point (raced him down the M62/6 to sandbach services on the way to WBA) he was also squireng a young lady who lived accross the road from me in lees (coincidently the same row as chriss taylor lives in )

he used to have the odd kick about with us (wouldnt go in goal tho )of a sunday afternoon was always aproachable top bloke one of the best keepers weve ever had

Edited by peanuts

Jon was a good keeper but Rhodes had the hair. Had no idea about Ladies bizness. Enlightening!

The best shot stopper I've ever seen was Gorton. Admin should give him a thread. Would "spark up" any thread. :devilish: :mrt: :shock::dynamite:

Jon was a good keeper but Rhodes had the hair. Had no idea about Ladies bizness. Enlightening!

The best shot stopper I've ever seen was Gorton. Admin should give him a thread. Would "spark up" any thread. :devilish: :mrt: :shock::dynamite:

I would have to disagree. John Platt was the best keeper I ve seen. Extremely reliable, never let the team down. Very solid. Im not sure but he would probably have played longer had he not lost a kidney due to a kicking he received during a match and then later a broken leg. Sad day when he retired.

He drives a Jeep Cherokee, and does not work. His Ex is a secretary at my place, she had his daughter.

His ex told me.. He was once pulled out of a massive game because they wanted our 2nd choice keeper in the shop window. Not sure who it was as i'm only 18. Goram?

He's abit of a nasty bugger, but nevertheless from what i heard .. a cracking keeper.