Bang. Down she goes.

Ackey

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In theory at least the BBC's impartiality is supposed to be monitored by the BBC Trust. And it's at least free from commercial pressures. Doesn't make it perfect, of course, and they've had their problems, but I'll trust a BBC news story a damn sight more than a Sky one.

Sky arent being accursed of lying, just breaking the law to get to the truth. I'm not defending them at all but neither can i see any place for the government to have its own tv station paying huge salaries from extorted money. If you dont like murdoch you dont have to give him money, i dont like the bbc but i have to pay the twats.

He's a massive :censored:?

Also, more seriously, it would greatly limit the source of news media. Meaning he could dictate (even more than he already does) topics for coverage.

Basically it would / could reduce the level of 'free press' in the UK. Which is vital to our perceived freedoms.

Ah right, i knew it was something along those lines, just wasn't quite sure.

Sky arent being accursed of lying, just breaking the law to get to the truth. I'm not defending them at all but neither can i see any place for the government to have its own tv station paying huge salaries from extorted money. If you dont like murdoch you dont have to give him money, i dont like the bbc but i have to pay the twats.

Well, I don't have a problem with public service radio and TV, but fair enough if you're not happy about it. Suspect none of the current situation will make the slightest difference to the BBC. But they'll have to make sure their own house is whiter than white.

Murdoch buying sky is more than just about the TV station, or a website, the bigger issue is one of net neutrality. Tory blogger Iain Dale puts it much better than I have on other forums today here:

http://iaindale.com/posts/murdochs-critics-are-their-own-worst-enemy

Key points:

The internet is the single most-critical distribution channel for almost all media companies. The TV networks pay for spectrum, but they know that televisual viewing has migrated to the web, and will continue to do so: thus Apple TV, BBC iPlayer, SeeSaw (from Project Kangaroo). Similarly the cinemas know that movie-watching has shifted to the laptop as well – thus the success of Netflix in the US, and why some distributors are suggesting that cinema release is the past. My employer, the Guardian, sells 220,000 physical newspapers a day, but reaches almost 50 million unique visitors a month online. Which do you think matters more? And remember, the internet is barely 6,000 days old – reliance on the internet as the primary distribution channel for all media outlets is still in its infancy. By the end of this decade, the internet will likely be near-hegemonic.

Murdoch knows this. He knows that an open playing field will see his paywalled Times and Sun fall behind the open journalism platforms of the Guardian and Mail online. He knows that his model of closed networks with proprietary content paid for in cash upfront will struggle in the coming decades, unless the platform itself is subject to his control.

The other ISPs have long been on record for wanting an end to 'Net Neutrality'. Net Neutrality is a policy that ISPs shouldn't be able to speed up, slow down, or inn extreme cases block internet traffic based upon the content of that traffic. It shouldn't matter to Virgin (my ISP) if I'm reading the Guardian online, or the New York Times, or the Beano. It shouldn't matter to them if I'm streaming from BBC iPlayer, or watching subscription NFL playoffs on SkyPlayer. They should treat that traffic the same. They have to manage spikes in demand, of course, but what I am accessing shouldn't influence that decision.

The ISPs don't like Net Neutrality. They would much prefer being able to sign contracts with content creators (eg the Wall St Journal) to deliver that content faster, and the competition (eg some lefty blogger) slower. They would prefer a tiered internet which content creators would have to pay ISPs to be in the fast lane. The ISPs would then offer consumers the chance to pay more for their broadband in return for having fast access to all websites not just the ones who give kickbacks to the ISP.

So today is a good day, for now.

Personally I think there is some serious :censored: going down with all of this.....

Too many 'top dogs' jumping a sunk ship!!

No smoke without fire and not too long before top government officials may be implicated in all of this as well!

Dacre and Clifford may well both be implicated which would nearly make the full set for me. Sadly, I don't think Richard Desmond is in on it, let's face it - the Express is full of Diana or dieting and the Star is a just a daily Chat or Bella.

The MPS and Coulson may try to finger someone in government - the MPS is corrupt to the core, it was just a matter of time, however even though the odds for Cameron to get the boot have been slashed I don't reckon he's going anywhere.

It will be great theatre today, I think if anything interesting will come out it will be from the Old bill, the Murdoch's will stonewall pretty much anything juicy.

I can't believe people are this excited about a couple of select committees, I just hope it lives upto the billing, a couple of nuggets will be enough.

Rupert will have them for breakfast and they will get no change from the ginger trollope, Junior doesnt come across as the sharpest tool in the any though. Agree with BT, its the bent cops who are key to this. If any politicians go down they are more likely to be labour, surely? They were in power and giving murdoch a daily rimjob when all of this was going down.

Whilst former Labour ministers do have answers to give, the links with the tories also have to be looked into, Osborne recommending Coulson, Dave's links to Brooks..etc..

Both parties have answers to give.

Taking Coulsdon on was a massive error of judgement which Dave must be kicking himself for. But for that he would be fairly much in the clear, it was under the last governments that it was all happening. Where are Jack Straw and David Blunkett, what were they doing whilst the Met were partying it up on NI expenses?

Taking Coulsdon on was a massive error of judgement which Dave must be kicking himself for. But for that he would be fairly much in the clear, it was under the last governments that it was all happening. Where are Jack Straw and David Blunkett, what were they doing whilst the Met were partying it up on NI expenses?

Taking advice from the relevant bodies that there was no case to answer, nothing to see here.... The same people who are now either resigning or being arrested...

• 4 weeks later...

This will bubble under for years, the police still have hundreds of people to contact to let them know their messages were listened to or that they were the subject of Fleet St "dark arts".

Today's revelations just show Cameron's has poor judgement in appointing Coulson then taking him into government.

I don't think a smoking gun will ever come out of these inquiries but we will see a continuous drip feed of poor judgement and collusion at the top of government.