25 Years Service

opinions4u

I complete 25 years service with the same company next month.

I've just got a glossy brochure through the post which gives me points to the value of £468 (no idea why that amount) to spend on a wide range of gifts.

Now I'm not used to spending money on myself. Most of it, once the bills are paid and a holiday taken, gets distributed between wife, offspring and Latics.

So what do I get? The brochure has anything and everything in that sort of price range - carriage clock, decent Tag Heur type watches, Mont Blanc pens, hi-fi, washing machine, golf clubs, luggage sets, perfume, jewellery, bedding, small kitchen gadgets etc etc. It's basically like an Argos / Tesco Direct catalogue.

Don't want a carriage clock. Don't need a new watch as Mrs o4u bought me a decent one last year. Mont Blanc pens are nice but I chew pens and they get pinched off your desk at work. Got a hi-fi and too many TVs. "Need" a new dishwasher, but I don't want to think of work when I'm sticking dirty plates in it. I don't do jewellery and it doesn't seem right to give this £468 to the wife. I don't drink much these days, so 15 bottles of scotch probably wouldn't last me to death. The golf clubs I have reflect my ability and I only play a couple of times a year.

So if you had c£500 to spend on something special for a bloke in these circumstances what would you get?

Is it something like Cottrils?

Decent SLR camera?

Good call - but I would need to develop an interest in photography.

But it is Cottrils.

Any trips or holidays?

Not that I can see. But there are some 'red letter day' type events.

Edited by opinions4u

dont go for the balloon trip made that mistake with mine form the railway (had already done all the driving ones )

15 attempts over 2 years never got off the ground always foiled by the bloody weather ended up exchanging for some cd tokens (was with virgin balloons )

go for the camera supprising what you can learn to do with them