iPhone 5

Stevie_J

8gb in America 199 dollars, starting price in Uk for the 8gb £499 according to Apple Store, ridiculous add into the fact you can re-download all previously purchased content in US from itunes, whilst there is still a block on music over here and they are missing a trick. I love Apple products to bits, but they can go spit if they think i'm paying over double for something….the 64gb would really be useful to me but I think i'll continue with my policy of upgrading to the previous model (iphone4).

The Iphone 5 will be out next summer anyway…rushed out out the 4s in time for Christmas and i'm hearing other manufacturers are already looking at releasing 'Fourcore' products anyway...

I think the $199 in the US is on a contract, whereas the £499 UK price is to buy the phone outright.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Poor of Apple to give Mr Not Steve Jobs that nothing launch, iBBM, iCards and a voice thing that no one will use. I've had google voice on my Desire from the off and used it once, on the way to the last latics game as there was a diversion on the M60 and I wanted to text my mum to let her know I would be late. Once in 18 months I've had a need to use voice activation.

Oh, mustn't forget the additional clockscreens on the iPod Nanos as a few people wear them like watches.

I feel sorry for Cook, they could have at least changed the case a bit so that they could call it 5 and give him a decent shot at his first launch.

Poor of Apple to give Mr Not Steve Jobs that nothing launch, iBBM, iCards and a voice thing that no one will use. I've had google voice on my Desire from the off and used it once, on the way to the last latics game as there was a diversion on the M60 and I wanted to text my mum to let her know I would be late. Once in 18 months I've had a need to use voice activation.

Oh, mustn't forget the additional clockscreens on the iPod Nanos as a few people wear them like watches.

I feel sorry for Cook, they could have at least changed the case a bit so that they could call it 5 and give him a decent shot at his first launch.

I thought it was a bit of a rum do for Cook too. Hardly gave him a big start to his term as CEO, did it?

Its almost the same as the jump from the 3g to the 3gs, maybe a little more in terms of the speed increase.

But whether its worth upgrading from a current iphone 4, not sure.

To be fair, it delivers on most of the improved features that were expected - better camera, dual core chip, etc. A lot of people seem miffed that it won't be obvious that they've got the brand new iPhone, which doesn't bother me.

I have an updgrade from my i phone 3g due and can't decide whether i should get the latest i phone or go with something different and get the latest Samsung Galaxy. Any thoughts? i see no reason to not get a Galaxy as ive heard some positive reviews on it though i've had no problems with my I phone either and it's no slate on that either.

I suppose my main worry is if i swap phone makes, am i taking a significant drop in quality of phone? one thing i do like the idea of whith a galaxy is that you can play flash videos (i think im sure on this) which is nice.

Any help?

I have an updgrade from my i phone 3g due and can't decide whether i should get the latest i phone or go with something different and get the latest Samsung Galaxy. Any thoughts? i see no reason to not get a Galaxy as ive heard some positive reviews on it though i've had no problems with my I phone either and it's no slate on that either.

I suppose my main worry is if i swap phone makes, am i taking a significant drop in quality of phone? one thing i do like the idea of whith a galaxy is that you can play flash videos (i think im sure on this) which is nice.

Any help?

Samsung hardware quality is second to none... Android is awful IMO... Have a play before buying...

Samsung hardware quality is second to none... Android is awful IMO... Have a play before buying...

Really? As a phone operating system, awful? Really? Granted you say IMO but awful is just wrong. And if it is so awful, how come iOS5 has just mimicked so many features? Google voice, latitude, for example.

Really? As a phone operating system, awful? Really? Granted you say IMO but awful is just wrong. And if it is so awful, how come iOS5 has just mimicked so many features? Google voice, latitude, for example.

lol... I hate it... What more can I say... I am also no Apple fan boy...

I like the iPhone because it's largely hassle free... I don't want my phone to be configurable to the nth degree....

It would help if the keyboard wasn't awful.... Makes everything else so much harder...

Horses for courses

Edited by oafc0000

I wouldn't invest into Android... It's going to die as soon as Windows 8 comes out and Microsoft make Android a massively expensive option...

Anyone who didn't know, Android violate Microsoft patents and Microsoft is forcing hardware companies to pay them royalties... Android is no longer free...

lol... I hate it... What more can I say... I am also no Apple fan boy...

I like the iPhone because it's largely hassle free... I don't want my phone to be configurable to the nth degree....

It would help if the keyboard wasn't awful.... Makes everything else so much harder...

Horses for courses

I haven't used the default keyboard for over a year, I use this: http://www.swype.com/or if I feel like a change: http://www.swiftkey.net/

You say you don't like a phone to be configurable but here's a great case in point, 2 far superior keyboards and all I have to do is press the screen for a second or two whilst writing anything and change keyboard, hardly rocket surgery.

Or the default keyboard has 3 different settings out of the box, but if you don't want choice.

But you could also say that android operating systems were just iPhone wannabes in the first place? As poor as the original iPhone was (and it really was, i had one) it was still a huge leap forward from everything else. Granted, there were so many things missing that should have been there from the offset, like video camera, camera flash, no 3G, custom ringtones, picture messaging etc etc...... Thing is, it took the original iPhone to make other companies see what could be done with a phone, and fair play, they took the ball and ran with it.

Not too bothered about the 4s. They bring out a new one every year and are just following suit in the s-model one year, new phone the next.. My contract will be up in the summer just in time for the real iPhone 5. And I'm sure that iOS 5 will have plenty of goodies on it to keep us happy if were aren't bothering with the 4s........

I wouldn't invest into Android... It's going to die as soon as Windows 8 comes out and Microsoft make Android a massively expensive option...

Anyone who didn't know, Android violate Microsoft patents and Microsoft is forcing hardware companies to pay them royalties... Android is no longer free...

Which is why google bought Motorola, they now hold shed loads of phone patents, there's going to be so much horse-trading going on.

As for android dying because of microsoft? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And a few more - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Because MS have a great record of killing off 'nix based OSes.

If any phone OS is to fail, I'd stick my money on Windows phone, they've failed before and apart from the Xbox their consumer devices, Zune & Kin for example hardly show they understand the market.

I haven't used the default keyboard for over a year, I use this: http://www.swype.com/or if I feel like a change: http://www.swiftkey.net/

You say you don't like a phone to be configurable but here's a great case in point, 2 far superior keyboards and all I have to do is press the screen for a second or two whilst writing anything and change keyboard, hardly rocket surgery.

Or the default keyboard has 3 different settings out of the box, but if you don't want choice.

Or use the iPhone with an already functional keyboard out of the box :)

I mean seriously.... I really don't want to have to be messing around with something as basic as the bloody keyboard!!!

:censored:e OS... Its only around because Microsoft haven't got their act together yet... Its a buggy :censored: mobile OS and a even worse tablet OS... Its just sat there ready to get replaced. Who knows, maybe WebOs / Amazon will... WebOS is 100% more interesting than Android as a OS...

Edited by oafc0000

Which is why google bought Motorola, they now hold shed loads of phone patents, there's going to be so much horse-trading going on.

As for android dying because of microsoft? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

And a few more - :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Because MS have a great record of killing off 'nix based OSes.

If any phone OS is to fail, I'd stick my money on Windows phone, they've failed before and apart from the Xbox their consumer devices, Zune & Kin for example hardly show they understand the market.

meh... The Motorola deal means nothing compared to the opposite (Microsoft / Nokia and Samsung pretty much having a daily threesome)... Google have nothing on Microsoft. Google are the only ones crying on Twitter right now about how they are being battered...

I really don't care to be honest... I don't really get involved in this iOS vs Android vs Microsoft vs whatever willy waving... I ain't a fan boy of any of them, I just used what works and then call the market as I see it...

Edited by oafc0000

I always have a chuckle to myself when people think the past has much impact on the future... :) Specially in the Tech world :)

One thing I will say... Microsoft should ditch Balmer even if Windows 8 is a success... He totally :censored:ed up as CEO leading to the current crunch point Microsoft now face.

Microsoft are playing catch up but so far Windows 8 is looking a solid offering... My only bug bear is it should be here today and not next year...

But you could also say that android operating systems were just iPhone wannabes in the first place? As poor as the original iPhone was (and it really was, i had one) it was still a huge leap forward from everything else. Granted, there were so many things missing that should have been there from the offset, like video camera, camera flash, no 3G, custom ringtones, picture messaging etc etc...... Thing is, it took the original iPhone to make other companies see what could be done with a phone, and fair play, they took the ball and ran with it.

Not too bothered about the 4s. They bring out a new one every year and are just following suit in the s-model one year, new phone the next.. My contract will be up in the summer just in time for the real iPhone 5. And I'm sure that iOS 5 will have plenty of goodies on it to keep us happy if were aren't bothering with the 4s........

Apple totally created the market... Everything changed when the iPhone came out... Some people just didn't notice...

Apple did the same with the tablet market...

Tell you what though, unless Apple can finally learn their lessons and produce some budget products the working man can afford they are going to lose the market in years to come. Saying this, they are now offering iPhone 3Gs and iPhone 4 (original) very cheap (or free on contracts) indeed... and I expect them to follow with cheap iPads in the future...

I always chuckle when I walk past the Apple Store at a weekend and see it packed... Not much of that footfall translates into sales you know. Its just a advertising method (a good one mind you)

Android phones are cheaper than Apple products (generally speaking) and its one of the reason why they get traction against Apple. Microsoft will be looking at hitting that lower end Market hard... and hence why they are getting some really nice conversations going with Samsung and why they bought Nokia.

The ruler of the mobile world won't be the one with the best most slick product... It will be the one with the most slick product that most people can afford...

If you think about... Its utterly mad people are spending £500+ on a phone! Every person who can afford that there are another 100 or so who can't...

Edited by oafc0000

I really don't care to be honest... I don't really get involved in this iOS vs Android vs Microsoft vs whatever willy waving... I ain't a fan boy of any of them...

trollface.jpg

Forgot to add... Micorosft, Apple and RIM have actually joined forces to destroy Andriod... They recently hovered up about 6,000 patents as a group with the sole purpose of attacking Andriod...

I takes three of them to build an Android killer? :censored:. They must be inept. Fanboy zealot.

In other i:censored:e related news:

j0jwa1.jpg

Religious crackpots. All of them. Bar none.

Steve Jobs has died... Very sad news for anyone who likes tech... Love or hate him or whatever reasons, you can't argue he changed the world some what... The iPad and the iPhone has changed how we think about everything Tech related.

Big loss to the Tech community...

Edited by oafc0000

I put this on Faceache:

‎"No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

-- Steve Jobs, 1955-2011

I put this on Faceache:

‎"No one wants to die. Even people who want to go to heaven don't want to die to get there. And yet death is the destination we all share. No one has ever escaped it. And that is as it should be, because Death is very likely the single best invention of Life. It is Life's change agent. It clears out the old to make way for the new. Right now the new is you, but someday not too long from now, you will gradually become the old and be cleared away. Sorry to be so dramatic, but it is quite true.

Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life. Don't be trapped by dogma — which is living with the results of other people's thinking. Don't let the noise of others' opinions drown out your own inner voice. And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary."

-- Steve Jobs, 1955-2011

Harsh but true...

I put this on Faceache:

-- Steve Jobs, 1955-2011

Can't help thinking there's a dark irony in the fact that he really wasn't very old.