FA Cup Oldham v Liverpool 1962

This was a biggie - and 41,733 people on Jan 27 1962 at Boundary Park shows that.

Liverpool were taking shape under Bill Shankly and , although only Div 2 at the time, they won the division that season. The team at Boundary Park was pretty much the same one (Hunt, Lawrence, St John etc) that established itself in the top flight in the next few years.

Latics had Johnstone, Lister, Branagan McCue, Colquhoun etc , a team beginning to establish itself under Jack Rowley as promotion contenders.

I remember the Rochdale Road end full with nearly 13000 scousers, the Chaddy End crammed with 11000 Oldham, the game held up when crush barriers collapsed under the weight of bodies, Latics denied a goal when the ball crossed the line but the ref waved play on. Johnny Colquhoun (lived on Manor Road, Shaw!) scored but we lost 2-1.

Great memories.

Edited by LaticsPete
  • Like 1

I was at that match I think it was a defender named Taylor that scored for us but it was disallowed because when he shot he burst the ball and they had a bounce ball where he shot from that was at the open end to the right of the main stand. it was a great match though.

I was at that match I think it was a defender named Taylor that scored for us but it was disallowed because when he shot he burst the ball and they had a bounce ball where he shot from that was at the open end to the right of the main stand. it was a great match though.

Think you may be getting Taylor mixed up with something else. I was getting mixed up too - nearly 50 years on and the memory is going! It was St John's first goal that hit the bar , came down and the ref said was over the line before McCue cleared it.

Latics team that day;

Rollo

Branagan

McCue

Scott

Williams

Jarvis

Phoenix

Johnstone

Lister

Frizzell

Colquhoun

Sorry for the confusion !

By the way for years the gate receipts from that match stood as club record - over £7,000. Seven thousand for a crowd of nearly 42000.

Edited by LaticsPete

This was a biggie - and 41,733 people on Jan 27 1962 at Boundary Park shows that.

Liverpool were taking shape under Bill Shankly and , although only Div 2 at the time, they won the division that season. The team at Boundary Park was pretty much the same one (Hunt, Lawrence, St John etc) that established itself in the top flight in the next few years.

Latics had Johnstone, Lister, Branagan McCue, Colquhoun etc , a team beginning to establish itself under Jack Rowley as promotion contenders.

I remember the Rochdale Road end full with nearly 13000 scousers, the Chaddy End crammed with 11000 Oldham, the game held up when crush barriers collapsed under the weight of bodies, Latics denied a goal when the ball crossed the line but the ref waved play on. Johnny Colquhoun (lived on Manor Road, Shaw!) scored but we lost 2-1.

Great memories.

6454810721_3a9ed48c55.jpg

Picture courtesy of the OAFC publication 'One Hundred Years, One Hundred Images, One Ground' to commemorate the centenary of Boundary Park.

Queued for bloody hours with my mate to get our tickets for this one. It was an absolute cracker of a game. We were in the RRE with all the Scousers - God knows why we ended up with tickets for that end, but we weren't the only ones. We had a great time with them. They were passionate, funny and generous in their praise for the way we matched them every inch of the way. I think my ribs still ache from a bear hug one of them gave me at the end. IIRC, didn't Bobby Johnstone hit the bar, leaving a big splodge of mud on it, near the end and we all thought it crossed the line before it came back out? Or have I confused it with one of the Liverpool goals?

By the way, if anyone knows Chris Billings who lived in Rochdale and worked at Birch Hill Hospital, he's the mate I was with. Chris was just as big a Latics nut as me. I've not seen him since I left Owdham some 4 years later.

Great memories.

Thats a hell of alot of part timers turning up for that one :)

This game nearly caused a riot in my house.

It was a good job I was born early enough in the day so that my dad could get to the game (apparently he did come straight back to the hospital after the game!!)

Do I really need reminding though that it is 50 years ago next month!!

Dave Hudson

• 1 year later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I was in the RRE, in those days if you were small you probably didn't see much of the game.

Just how DID we end up with tickets at that end? Did any scousers end up in the Chaddy? Thankfully, as a gangly 17 year old, I had a pretty good view. Another day I'll never forget as long as I live, and I know we deserved to take them back to Anfield for another crack at it.

Queued for bloody hours with my mate to get our tickets for this one. It was an absolute cracker of a game. We were in the RRE with all the Scousers - God knows why we ended up with tickets for that end, but we weren't the only ones. We had a great time with them. They were passionate, funny and generous in their praise for the way we matched them every inch of the way. I think my ribs still ache from a bear hug one of them gave me at the end. IIRC, didn't Bobby Johnstone hit the bar, leaving a big splodge of mud on it, near the end and we all thought it crossed the line before it came back out? Or have I confused it with one of the Liverpool goals?

By the way, if anyone knows Chris Billings who lived in Rochdale and worked at Birch Hill Hospital, he's the mate I was with. Chris was just as big a Latics nut as me. I've not seen him since I left Owdham some 4 years later.

Got my ticket after the home game with Carlisle (I think it was Carlisle) the week before....queued behing the old Broadway stand and they flogged them at the tea bar.......by the time i got to my turn they only had Rochdale Rd left so I missed the collapse.........mayhem 42000 you couldnt make it up.

This game nearly caused a riot in my house.

It was a good job I was born early enough in the day so that my dad could get to the game (apparently he did come straight back to the hospital after the game!!)

Do I really need reminding though that it is 50 years ago next month!!

Dave Hudson

You'll probably not appreciate being told it was actually 51. :wink:

Stood at the RR end with my dad.

Liverpool's winner was hotly contested, not unlike the goal England scored against Germany in the World Cup of '66. It was reported, or reputed that Jack Rowley searched, with light from a cigarette lighter, and found the mark of the ball on the cross bar after the match. Evidence the the ball could not have crossed the line.

I also remember the crush barrier in the Chaddy end collapsing.

• 8 years later...

I missed this one as was not born until 6 days later. 

My grandad and uncle though who introduced me to Latics a few years later told me that some Liverpool fans had broken into the Chaddy End in the morning of the game and painted the posts black for some reason - can anyone recall this? 

RIP Ian St John, loved the Saint & Greavsie show, actually met the Saint coming back on the train from Brighton in 1978/79 (we lost 0-1) where he had been watching us in his capacity as a coach for Sheffield Wednesday, can't recall who he had been watching but think it might have been one of theirs. he was a nice fella to talk to. 

On 1/24/2013 at 4:53 PM, Bristolatic said:

Just how DID we end up with tickets at that end? Did any scousers end up in the Chaddy? Thankfully, as a gangly 17 year old, I had a pretty good view. Another day I'll never forget as long as I live, and I know we deserved to take them back to Anfield for another crack at it.

No segregation in those days was there? 

12 minutes ago, al_bro said:

No segregation in those days was there? 

Maybe there was if it was all ticket, certainly wasn't generally. I well remember my Dad giving a Middlesbrough fan a clip round the ear on the Rochdale Road End while telling him to mind his language.