Jump to content

Recommended Posts

On 12/4/2011 at 8:03 PM, LaticsPete said:

 

 

Think you may be getting Taylor mixed up with something else. I was getting mixed up too - nearly 50 years on and the memory is going! It was St John's first goal that hit the bar , came down and the ref said was over the line before McCue cleared it.

Latics team that day;

Rollo

Branagan

McCue

Scott

Williams

Jarvis

Phoenix

Johnstone

Lister

Frizzell

Colquhoun

 

Sorry for the confusion !

By the way for years the gate receipts from that match stood as club record - over £7,000. Seven thousand for a crowd of nearly 42000.

I was just about to jump in and correct you.

Yes , St John's shot hit the bar, and Mc cue cleard it. I was in Chaddy end, and have no idea if the ball had crossed the line. And I vowed that day that nobody could tell if shots that hit the underside of the bar had actually crossed the line, therefore if the ball didn't end up in the net  you should play on. Could anyone say for certain, that the Hurst goal against Germany, even after endless replays, had actually crossed the line.

 

And at our level of football we are still no wiser to whether a goal should stand under the same circumstances. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, 100milesaway said:

I was just about to jump in and correct you.

Yes , St John's shot hit the bar, and Mc cue cleard it. I was in Chaddy end, and have no idea if the ball had crossed the line. And I vowed that day that nobody could tell if shots that hit the underside of the bar had actually crossed the line, therefore if the ball didn't end up in the net  you should play on. Could anyone say for certain, that the Hurst goal against Germany, even after endless replays, had actually crossed the line.

 

And at our level of football we are still no wiser to whether a goal should stand under the same circumstances. 

Depends what you mean by "end up in the net" though. Frank Lampard's goal v Germany in the 2010 World Cup was well over the line, which didn't stop Neuer playing on by pretending it hadn't.

Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at that Man Utd game, I thought that was a goal. My memory may be faulty but I went to Old Trafford for the return which we lost 3-2 and didn't Macari punch one of their goals into the net?

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I was at that Man Utd game, I thought that was a goal. My memory may be faulty but I went to Old Trafford for the return which we lost 3-2 and didn't Macari punch one of their goals into the net?

I remember Alan Young scored for us in the away fixture, if memory serves I'm sure Stretford fc only lost twice in the season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Worcester Owl said:

I was at that Man Utd game, I thought that was a goal. My memory may be faulty but I went to Old Trafford for the return which we lost 3-2 and didn't Macari punch one of their goals into the net?

He did. And boasted about it. To be fair he's turned out to be a rather better human being than that suggested. 

 

https://www.itv.com/news/central/2021-02-18/former-stoke-city-manager-adapts-homeless-shelter-with-covid-safe-pods

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, disjointed said:

I remember Alan Young scored for us in the away fixture, if memory serves I'm sure Stretford fc only lost twice in the season. 

Yes I think beating us might have clinched their promotion.

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, Dave_Og said:

He did. And boasted about it. To be fair he's turned out to be a rather better human being than that suggested. 

 

https://www.itv.com/news/central/2021-02-18/former-stoke-city-manager-adapts-homeless-shelter-with-covid-safe-pods

Exactly, watching Marvellous made me look at him in a different light and then his work with the homeless, he has my utmost admiration. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, Bobledgersheart said:

I think Stepney was quoted as saying he wasn't sure whether the ball had crossed he line in the next day's papers !!

I was at that game too.  I was sat in the main stand, and had a perfect view of that.

 

The ball hit the stanchion and came out. So we had to score twice to win one nil.

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, disjointed said:

I remember Alan Young scored for us in the away fixture, if memory serves I'm sure Stretford fc only lost twice in the season. 

 

They lost 7 I think - I took massive pleasure every time they lost

 

Lost to Bristol City (twice), Oldham, Oxford, Norwich, Villa (i think) at least, cannot recall the other one but I am sure there was another  

 

We got done at OT - Macari punched his over the line and we were denied a blatant penalty into the scoreboard end when Alan Young had got goal side of their defence, Sammy Mac barged him in the back and both players rolled off the pitch into the fencing and referee awarded free kick to United - unbelievable at anywhere bar OT    

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

 

They lost 7 I think - I took massive pleasure every time they lost

 

Lost to Bristol City (twice), Oldham, Oxford, Norwich, Villa (i think) at least, cannot recall the other one but I am sure there was another  

 

We got done at OT - Macari punched his over the line and we were denied a blatant penalty into the scoreboard end when Alan Young had got goal side of their defence, Sammy Mac barged him in the back and both players rolled off the pitch into the fencing and referee awarded free kick to United - unbelievable at anywhere bar OT    

You have a far better memory recall than me Phil. Hopefully we can get some away days in next season. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I hope so mate, used to love it (still do)  when United or City got beat - used to know who beat them, who scored, the scorers NI number etc etc. but as I grow older, these facts are maybe not as important as they once were. 

 

Hoping to get back to a few away games soon mate, hopefully have a few scoops with you soon     

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, unsworth blue said:

 

They lost 7 I think - I took massive pleasure every time they lost

 

Lost to Bristol City (twice), Oldham, Oxford, Norwich, Villa (i think) at least, cannot recall the other one but I am sure there was another  

 

We got done at OT - Macari punched his over the line and we were denied a blatant penalty into the scoreboard end when Alan Young had got goal side of their defence, Sammy Mac barged him in the back and both players rolled off the pitch into the fencing and referee awarded free kick to United - unbelievable at anywhere bar OT    

 

Yeah, Utd did lose at Villa (2-0), and their other defeat was away at Hull. Aston Villa were easily the best side in the division over the second half of that season. They'd won nine and lost eight by the end of December, but from the New Year onwards they were pretty much unstoppable, losing only one more game (they also won the League Cup at Wembley). I think they were still adjusting to the style and expectations of their new manager, Ron Saunders, over the first few months, but if it hadn't been for that I reckon they'd have finished about ten points clear of Man Utd.

 

At the away game at Old Trafford by the way, I remember the Stretford Enders singing "Jimmy, Jimmy Frizzell, Jimmy Frizzell selling pies!" (to the tune of their "Willie Morgan on the wing" song). We were looking odds-on for relegation at that point, and I think they were anticipating him picking up his P45!

 

Edited by Summerdeep
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Summerdeep said:

 

Yeah, Utd did lose at Villa (2-0), and their other defeat was away at Hull. Aston Villa were easily the best side in the division over the second half of that season. They'd won nine and lost eight by the end of December, but from the New Year onwards they were pretty much unstoppable, losing only one more game (they also won the League Cup at Wembley). I think they were still adjusting to the style and expectations of their new manager, Ron Saunders, over the first few months, but if it hadn't been for that I reckon they'd have finished about ten points clear of Man Utd.

 

At the away game at Old Trafford by the way, I remember the Stretford Enders singing "Jimmy, Jimmy Frizzell, Jimmy Frizzell selling pies!" (to the tune of their "Willie Morgan on the wing" song). We were looking odds-on for relegation at that point, and I think they were anticipating him picking up his P45!

 

 

Yes I thought that they had lost another apart from those listed but going through the teams, couldn't find it, yes Hull 1-0 at Boothferry Park. 

 

Think Villa's improvement started with a 3-0 win at BP in the FA Cup in January, they had won with a last minute goal from Ray Graydon in October after having John Gidman sent off but they were a bit fortunate if memory serves me correctly, in the FA Cup they pulverised us. Went to Villa towards end of season when we lost 5-0,  only cheer that day was Chris Ogden saving a penalty from Brian Little. 

 

Funnily enough, think that was the day when I thought "Latics is my team forever, come what may" even though had always supported them since being 8 - there was a banner "One of Oldham's Chosen Few" which I saw in a service station and think it was same banner in Whitton End about 3/4 of way up even though we were 4 or 5 down at the time and end was full of Villa. Thought that's me - one of Oldham's chosen few, Still am, as are most on this board I am sure      

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

The mention of that 1974-75 match away to Man Utd reminded me of something which has probably been noted by others and maybe even mentioned on this site in the past, but anyway, here goes:

 

The 1974-75 match at Old Trafford was played on Easter Monday, the final result being 3-2 to Man Utd, after they led 1-0 at half time. The sequence of goals was 1-0 to Man Utd, 1-1, 2-1 to Man Utd, 3-1, 3-2.

 

Exactly 19 years later we played Man Utd at Old Trafford on Easter Monday 1994. Final score 3-2 to Man Utd, who led 1-0 at half time. Scoring sequence was 1-0 to Man Utd, 1-1, 2-1 to Man Utd, 3-1, 3-2.

 

How darned spooky is that, huh? Talk about parallel universes...

 

 

 

Edited by Summerdeep
Link to post
Share on other sites

I was at the game and stood at the front about 10 yards from the goal line. there was no way the linesman should have signalled a goal after the shot hit the bar as he was 10 yards further up the pitch than me and could not possibly see the line.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...