Suarez

"Assuming we win" perhaps accounts for a game in Round 4?

Makes sense.

Liverpool can decide when the ban starts if they don't appeal it ... as long as it's within the next 14 days.

So good maths ... and the devious thinking you would expect from a benefits cheat! (EDIT: Not suggesting all Scousers are benefits cheats of course!!)

Edited by opinions4u

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How strange that this topic (which has a direct correlation to an imminent OAFC fixture) has been moved from The Terraces forum into the General Football forum, when the post about managerless Rochdale (which arguably has dick to do with Latics) remains.

Also Suarez is facing an FA rap for what appeared a one-finger salute to Fulham fans in Liverpool’s 1-0 defeat at Craven Cottage.

I understand Liverpool are to call a professional witness in Suarez's defence, namely a tic tac man from Aintree Racecourse to explain the intricacies of sign language.

The whole thing has been very badly handled by Liverpool. It was never clear whether Suarez's defence was that no racial language was used, or whether racial language was used but that the term was not offensive in Spanish/not thought or meant to be offensive by Suarez. Liverpool have not helped their own cause by implying that evra was making malicious allegations. Dalglish's lsuggestion that evra should be punished if the allegations were found to be unproven showed a lack of understanding of the task faced by the tribunal. Throughout Liverpool said they would respect the tribunal's findings, probably in the expectation of a not guilty verdict, but then have spat the dummy when the verdict wasn't to their liking. If an Oldham player were found guilty of racial abuse I would expect him to be disciplined by the club as well as the fa. In most walks of life racially abusing someone in the course of your employment would cost you your job. I also agree with the comments above regarding the Liverpool statement.

How strange that this topic (which has a direct correlation to an imminent OAFC fixture) has been moved from The Terraces forum into the General Football forum, when the post about managerless Rochdale (which arguably has dick to do with Latics) remains.

The Terraces - Latics Forum

All things Oldham Athletic - including Latics media, Trust Oldham - and all Latics and League One related debate...

:grin:

I believe League One matters (i.e. Rochdale) live in The Terraces.

Personally I'd say Suarez should have stayed where it was becuase of the direct impact on the FA Cup game, and the subsequent replay!

_44564133_liverpool_getty.jpg

Seems a bit odd though, banning him purely off the back of what Evra's said, not exactly substantial proof. Although if it is true, i'd say an 8 game ban is extremely lenient for racism. Especially considering supporters have had lifetime bans and been arrested for the same thing...

That means you've broken ranks and will not be in the OASIS enclosure. Shame.

Mind you. By the time of the game you'll probably have become a Liverpool fan. Sugar.

Liverpool have been my second team since year dot anyway :lol:

I'm sure in sunday league football you get a 35 day ban for using insulting or racist language to another player. The FA have actually been a little smart in this for me because Liverpool have 8 games in 35 days as of today so in effect he hasn't been given an 8 game ban just the 35 day ban you'd get anyway so when Liverpool come to appeal the ban it will look like the FA have reduced the ban. Say Liverpool play only 5 games in 35 days when the ban kicks in it will look like the fa have reduced the ban by 3 games but really they have not it's just Liverpool wont have 8 games in them 35 days.

That is bloody brilliant. Thank goodness I wasn't having a drink; otherwise I'd have spat it out over my Laptop!! :grin:

But over the next several years we took him to our heart and we'll forever have fond memories of the man we always knew affectionately as “the black player”.

Genius :lol:

I've not read all and sundry so apologies if I've misunderstood.

But, cutting to the chase, he said the naughty word. So:

1)He's admitted it.

2)His defence is "it's not a naughty word in Uruguay"

So it seems that it's right to uphold the charge. Therefore the only question mark for me is how big the penalty is and should his background entitle him to leniency that wouldn't be afforded to, say, John Terry if found guilty of similar?

It will be interesting to see how this one pans out. Feels like a hefty ban to allow for a reduction on appeal.

Can I suggest his eight game ban was soft... If you had used similar language and caused similar offence in the office you would be looking at Gross misconduct...

Yes, you can suggest it and you'd probably be right.

Indeed, the transcript might go as far as to say that they took in to account the cultural differences before applying the sanction.