an outsider posting...

razza699

Hi all ,

looking to go down to London the weekend of the JPT final (whether Latics are there or not) .

I was wondering if any of you southern experts could advise me. Looking to go down the saturday before and spend the day in London.

wheres best to stay ? just looked on a few websites but I dont have a clue where anywhere is or how easy it is to commute in.

Ive been told to try High Wymcombe.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

Depends on budget really. High Wycombe's 30-45 minutes by overground train from London, so it may be nice but it's not exactly convenient. What else would you want to be doing in London that weekend?

seeing the sights and shopping on the saturday most probably.

looking like I would be driving so ideally Id like to stay outside of London so parking isnt ridiculous

Ah, okay. Yeah, parking's the killer. I'd normally stay at one of the chains (Travelodge or something) but they mug you on parking charges. Afraid I don't really know where might be suitable within driving distance.

You could try posting on the Tripadvisor London message board — they're always answering questions like this.

Relatively easy (I live just outside Camden).

Northern Line south to Kings Cross, then Metropolitan Line north to Wembley Park.

Or number 31 bus from Camden to Swiss Cottage, then Jubilee Line north to Wembley Park.

Either way you can do it all on an Oyster card.

Hi all ,

looking to go down to London the weekend of the JPT final (whether Latics are there or not) .

I was wondering if any of you southern experts could advise me. Looking to go down the saturday before and spend the day in London.

wheres best to stay ? just looked on a few websites but I dont have a clue where anywhere is or how easy it is to commute in.

Ive been told to try High Wymcombe.

Any advice would be appreciated

Cheers

Try and stay as near to the centre as possible. This will be more expensive for you though.

The business districts (city etc) will have cheap hotels at weekend. London is pretty easy to get around if you are near an underground station.

seeing the sights and shopping on the saturday most probably.

looking like I would be driving so ideally Id like to stay outside of London so parking isnt ridiculous

Book the train far enough in advance it's cheap enough... probably more than driving, sure, but will save you no end of hassle once you make it to London...

Relatively easy (I live just outside Camden).

Northern Line south to Kings Cross, then Metropolitan Line north to Wembley Park.

Or number 31 bus from Camden to Swiss Cottage, then Jubilee Line north to Wembley Park.

Either way you can do it all on an Oyster card.

Ta. Time booked off work but resisted the temptation to start looking at trains and hotels.

Ta. Time booked off work but resisted the temptation to start looking at trains and hotels.

Well if you do get round to it, make some money for PlayerShare at the same time and use the PlayerShare WebShop.

This link to a popular hotel booking site earns 8% commission.

This link to book trains will typically earn 1% commission or more and save you some of those sneaky add on fees other better know train booking sites charge.

And if you're likely to spend money in overpriced railway station concessions like Burger King, Delice de France etc get a free Bite Card. Nothing in it for Latics, but it saves you 20% off a coffee or a sandwich or a Flame Grilled Whopper McDeath meal.

Edited by opinions4u

I'd get the train and stay central.

Should be able to get a decent hotel for around £100 a night.

Yep. Euston Travelodge is basic stuff but that's about £80 a night and minutes from the tube stations at Euston and Kings Cross. And it's a bus or tube ride from shopping (Covent Garden/Oxford Circus) and nights out (Camden/Soho/etc).

... i may know a man who could advise you where you can park.

I know a man :wink: with loads of info on getting from central London and elsewhere to Wembley, and where to drink, etc., but it's not being posted on here until it's appropriate for everyone. :pray:

P.S. If Latics don't get there, I'll email it to you.

We're also going to be in London from the Saturday to Monday, staying in Regent's Park.

Accidentally booked a non-refundable hotel - we sort of forgot what we were looking for and why, and only realised after it was booked.

We also didn't realise we've got Bournemouth at home if we're not at Wemberley, so we might be off to London after the match, or our STs will have to be handed to friends and we'll miss the game.

Generally we have right royally jinxed any chance of us getting to Wembley.

Sorry folks. On the plus-side, I hear London's lovely at the end of March.....