LOTW - 17/5/07 - Joe Royle

Stevie_J

lotwroylear0.jpg

Welcome to the eighth Latics Legend of the Week. This week it's not a player but a manager, THE manager in many people's eyes, Joe Royle.

We're looking for you, our members, to post their memories, anecdotes and stories of our weekly Legend!!!

Met him in a pub? Go to school with his Mrs? Go to school with him? Get hit by his car?
Anything and everything!

If you have access to some season stat's or career stat's then post them too, pictures, videos, songs!?
Post them all!!

So, Get Posting!!

A couple of very simple rules:
1. Please stay on the topic of a single legend at once... it probably apparent why by now.
(If you would like to suggest an upcoming legend then please feel free to PM me)
2. Please don't post anything which may subject you to libel... as OWTB cannot be held responsible for that.
3. Have fun!

Guest sheridans_world

PLEASE JOE

DONT GO

Sums it up for me...

Edited by sheridans_world

Joe Royle Latics Legend til he dies and way beyond, it is impossible to under estimate what he achieved at Latics.

3 seasons in the top division (including being founder members of the Premier league)

Littlewoods Cup Final

2 F. A. Cup semi finals

Div 2 Champions.

For the size of club we are and the fan base we have got, his achievements were remarkable.

The thing that surprises people when they talk about Joe is they think he did all this overnight (not true atall) he became Latics manager in the early 80's and as every one knows it wasn't until the early 90's we had all our success.

I personally think he had a good eye for a player, look at the players he picked up out of other teams reserves (for next to nothing) that became great players, Irwin, Barrett, Warhurst, Marshall and Holden to name just a few along with the likes of Henry, Milligan and Richie they formed the greatest Latics team we may ever see.

A great motivator too and tactician, many's the time I was at Latics and would question his substitutions or tactics and he nearly always came up trumps pulling games out of the fire time after time, the team had great self belief and never say die attitude.

The greatest days BP may ever witness.

Also a really nice guy too, met him once and he was really pleasant and very genuine.

Possibly the greatest Latics legend of them all IMO.

:imnotworthy:

Edited by Hometownclub

Superb manager and a great, great guy. Responsible for the greatest era in recent history and possibly the man who really put Oldham on the map. I remember the interview with Brian Clough at Wembley. "Forget about me" said Old Big 'Ed, "This guy is the future and he can work miracles". Sure enough, we then went on to win Division Two and entered the Top Flight. A Team from a Town of Chimneys.

I'll always remember the time when I first met him and shook his hand. My team had just won the inaugural OAFC Supporter's Association Five A-Side Tournament. He gave up his Sunday afternoon to come and watch and do the Presentation. "Great goal you scored in the final there Skip." I was so proud. Thanks Joe. I'll take those words to my grave.

A true Legend and part of the fabric of OAFC.

I would like to see it but I dont think anybody can match the achievement BFJ had here. The guy is a living legend, what Id give to re-live them days again, I dont think being aged 9,10,11,12 etc allowed me to fully appriciate what good times he gave to Oldham. Especially looking at where we lie in the leagues now.

Total legend; maybe we should view him even higher than Rithcie or Palmer etc. for the loyalty he showed us, and the success he brought to the club over a long period. Can you honestly say now that we would do 10+ seasons at Championship level if (when!) we go up?

Perhaps the best bit about Joe was his attitude towards the game, it was always to score one more than the opposition, if they get 3 we will get 4 attitude. It was very rarely dull watching Latics; a 2-1 defeat for one of Joe's teams was better than a 1-0 win with Rotten Ronnie's side.

I met him once outside the ground when he was manager at Everton and had come back to watch us, I said "welcome back Joe" to him as he passed me in a hurry and he actually stopped and walked back to me to shake hands.

A great manager and a real gentleman.

Superb fella. When I was a kid for a season or two (about 85/86-86/87) I used to stand up in the tunnel of the main stand in St. Johns Ambulance (free admission for 12 year olds!). Joe always had a friendly word or a ruffle of the hair as he walked past. Probably had a hundred and one better things to do but took the time to say hello to a kid.

Great manager (his achievements and the entertainment he gave us along the way say it all) and all round good bloke.

Went to a book signing he had in Oldham. Didn't start till 5 and people were waiting at 3.30! It was supposed to end at 6.30. Ended up seeing a mate in the queue and waiting for him to get his book signed. Joe was still there at 7.30 signing copies of the book. Everybody had to have their pictures done and other things signed. He wouldn't leave he said until everyone was happy.

Also went to the "Afternoon with Joe Royle" organised by Carl Spiers. Fantastic afternoon with Joe bringing up many memorable tales from his time at Latics.

I think everything that needed to be said about Joe has been said.

Frizzell laid the foundations - Joe built the house.

When I was ickle, I remember writing 3 letters to Joe. He replied every time! Still got them somewhere, I'll have to dig them out.

One was because I had done a cross-stitch thing in Textiles at school, and taken it (framed) into the club shop, leaving it for Joe. It was half the Pine Villa emblem, and half the Latics Emblem, and possibly even as artistic as my La Tic Banner :wink:

Not sure what I expected him to do with it, but received a letter from him telling me that it was an 'excellent cross-stitch, and that it was hanging in pride of place in the club office' (possibly a lie, but I'd like to believe it was true)!

Always a nice bloke when autograph hunting too! :)

When i was 14 i used to play for boundary park juniors in the same side as his lad Darre. We used to meet at

mills hill on a sunday lunch, and joe would sometimes take me down in the back of his old Audi (i'm sure it was one of them!)

One game i had badly twisted my ankle and Big Joe and Gordon Robins (marks dad) who was manager at the time carried me off. :stretcher: I think i tried getting injured every wk after that :blush:

An absolute legend, not just for where he took the latics but throughout football!!

when i worked in a plumbers merchant GJB in oldham my boss told me he used to live next door to the legend that is joe royle. i wasnt having it so he showed me his phone book on his mobile and it had joe royle on it. i still didnt believe it was the legendary joe royle so he rung him up and put him onto me. i told him i didnt believe my boss but obviously i did now and i couldnt believe i was talkin to him. he came in the shop the next day for a brew. i brewed up for joe royle i couldnt believe it. it was quality. made sure it was a perfect brew and also threw in a nice bicky lol. hes a sound bloke and told me about the party hed just gone to. he went to alan shearers barbeque, it was just a small get together and the likes of kieren dyer, scott parker and bobby robson was there and he got an invite because hed known shearer for a long time. this is true and i loved every second of it lol.

Joe Royle = LEGEND!!!!!!!!!

i was at big joe first match as manager it was a friendly away to maccesfield in 82 latics won 2-0 and i had a pint with him after the game ,great bloke was big joe ,but months later we nearly had a punch up out side bp , i found out that latics paid martin buccan 25k to play for latics which was not advertised anywhere and 500 quid a game ,i was talking to a few latics player stainrod wydle ,etc one night and told them ,so they went to big joe and asked for more money too ,then i was with jim kirton outside the club and big joe came up to me and grabbed me and asked me who told me about the money that he gave buccan to play ,i pushed him and said i would not tell ,lucky jim kirton told joe not to cause trouble s it would be in the papers etc ,joe went back into bp ,a week later joe said sorry to me but i never told him who and how i got to know about the money that buccan was paid ...