Gregan

Eardley

Taylor

McDonald

Wellens

Liddell

Porter

Warney

Subs: Someone young, Glombard, Rocky, Roque, Lomax?

Which would you prefer? From first glance I would say that at the moment we have more quality overall now than the 2003 lot did, sadly we picked the wrong time of the year to stop showing it. The 2003 team had more fight in it IMO. John Eyre and Mini-Shez play a major role in both of those averages.

I'd go for a dream team of:

Pogs

Gregan

Hill

Fitz

Eyres

Murray

Rocky

Wellens

Taylor

Porter

Liddell

I await a cyber-bashing!

Guest sheridans_world

No Dean Holden?

I'd have to go for....

Pogs (circa 2003)

Eardley

Gregan

Hall (One Size)

Charlton

Tony Carrs (left)

Wellens

Murray

Chris Taylor (Right)

Porter

Andrews

Bench: Miskelly, Low, Hill, Eyres, Duxbury

Edited by sheridans_world

Guest oa_exile
For the record I always thought Andrews was a donkey, I guess he will feature in most peoples teams though.

As would a 2002/03 fully fit Wijnhard ? , no place for Beharall even on the bench ?

2003 team with no Corrazin!!! Carlo Carlo Carlo!!!

S_W - are you mental... how can you not have eyresy in your side???

And armstrong has to be in the side.... he is the player eardley could become... at the same time, Armstrong was by far the better player...

Have to say, I would take the 2003 side.... solid as anything, didnt lose games against teams they should beat.... and fitz hall is the best player we have had for many a year... and Clint Hill was better than haining and gregan....

Have to say, i would take the following side - with DOWIE as the manager - he would have got the current squad promoted....

My team would be: (with interchangeable full backs)

Pogs

Armstrong

Hall

Hill

Eardley

Eyres

Murray

Wellens

Taylor

Andrews

Porter

Now that is a bloomin team! Pace, power, workrate, speed....

The big difference for me between the two sides is pace. Andrews, for all his faults had plenty of pace that terrified all defenders he faced. He also seemed to win a fair few free kicks for us. Todays side doesnt have pace up front or at the back.

Pogs

Armstrong

Fitz Hall

Gregan

Eardley

Eyres

Murray

Wellens

Taylor

Porter

Andrews

Not a bad team!

Hmmmm Mr Fin, agree with most of that, but I'd play wijhard instead of Andrews, who would be on the bench. Would the midfield of Eyres, Wellens, Murray and Taylor be a bit lightweight? Lots of creatiity but it would get ripped to shreds some games. Might think about Carrs for the midfield.

The defence in 2003 was so much better than todays (on recent form) it isnt even funny.

If 2003 played 2007 with the respective managers 2003 would win 8 out of ten times I reckon.

Hmmmm Mr Fin, agree with most of that, but I'd play wijhard instead of Andrews, who would be on the bench. Would the midfield of Eyres, Wellens, Murray and Taylor be a bit lightweight? Lots of creatiity but it would get ripped to shreds some games. Might think about Carrs for the midfield.

The defence in 2003 was so much better than todays (on recent form) it isnt even funny.

If 2003 played 2007 with the respective managers 2003 would win 8 out of ten times I reckon.

Agreed... but that midfield has no less bite than the current (Macca is a poor mans murray, and lids does not exactly throw his weight about!) but has so much more ability...

Eyresy on set pieces would destroy the current team on his own!

I agree, 2003 would win evry time... mainly cos of the passion Dowie got em playing with....

Would the midfield of Eyres, Wellens, Murray and Taylor be a bit lightweight? Lots of creatiity but it would get ripped to shreds some games. Might think about Carrs for the midfield.

That's part of the reason I went for a 5 and put Rocky in there. I think it works for the best team even if not with the best individuals players.

Looking at the players available. 3-5-2 would seem the better formation but I wouldnt want to leave the likes of Chris Armstrong out, so i'd opt for a 4-4-1-1.

Poggy

Eardley

Fitz Hall

Clint Hill

Chris Armstrong

Liddell (right wing) - may not be the fastest but his assists speak volumes to the quality he has. He wouldnt even need to take set peices as Eyresy's in mine

Wellens

Murray

Eyresy (left wing)

Andrews

Porter

Bench -

Blayney

Gregan

Tony Carss

Chris Taylor

Paul Warne

---------

We were very unfortunate with the 2003 team, that the standard was so high. I think if we had that side we did from 2003 now, we'd of gone up automatically. Think they were just a bit better than what we have now, especially at the back. Plus if it was a choice of which side i'd rather have facing blackpool. I suppose you'd ultimately have to go for the better attacking side, which I think we have now, but i'd feel alot more confident about keeping Blackpool out with One Size and Clint Hill marking Parker and co.

Carlo actually only scored 4 that season !

>>2002/03 stats<<

Carlo was alot like Warne is now, scoring record for a striker is relatively poor. But the effort and commitment put in makes them favourites with the fans.

Mark Allotts and Scott Vernons scoring records were much better but were absolutely hated by some sections of the crowd.

GK - Pogs

CD - Hill

CD - Hall

CD - Greegan

RW - Liddell

CM - Wellens

CM - Murray

CM - Duxbury

LW - Eyres

ST - Porter

ST - Andrews

subs - Blayney, Armstrong, Eardley, Warne, McDonald/Taylor

Pogliacomi

Low

Fitz Hall

Hill

Haining

Eyres

Murray

Darren Sheridan

Armstrong

Andrews

Eyre.

Subs: Duxbury, Miskelly, Baudet, Corazzin, Carss

(Probable/possible)

Blayney

Charlton/Eddy

Haining

Gregan

Eardley

Taylor

McDonald

Wellens

Liddell

Porter

Warney

Which would you prefer? From first glance I would say that at the moment we have more quality overall now than the 2003 lot did, sadly we picked the wrong time of the year to stop showing it. The 2003 team had more fight in it IMO. John Eyre and Mini-Shez play a major role in both of those averages.

Pogs

Gregan

Hill

Fitz

Eyres

Murray

Rocky

Wellens

Taylor

Porter

Liddell

I await a cyber-bashing!

I would let someone chop my cock off to have Clint Hill back, not sure how many takers there would be for the chopper chopping though!

For me THE best player we have signed since Jobson.

2003 squad was miles better, in what was a far tougher league.

Though to be fair to this lot, it speaks volumes about how well they have done. They have certainly over exceeded themselves, the only disappointment is that we hit top spot then lost it a little.

Roll on Saturday.

We CAN do it.

Blue Army!!!!!!!!!!!!!

KtF,

Derek.

I would let someone chop my cock off to have Clint Hill back, not sure how many takers there would be for the chopper chopping

I will do it with a cockle shell on the end of a pier(your choice)after we win on saturday

Of the 2007 team only Eardley, Wellens, Taylor and Porter would make it into my 11 but id rather watch the 2007 team and stick with Shez over Dowie. Looking at the stats, this season F69 A47 and in 2003 F68 A38 - I'm actually surprised the difference is that small.

I think defensively the 2003 team are much superior to the 2007 team, but in terms of attacking ability, creativety and goal scoring I think the 2007 team is better.

The only problems I think we have currently is a desparate lack of pace in defence and also up front.

I would say the only two players we have currently with genuine pace are Eddy and Taylor.

For me Eddy must play Satueday instead of Charlton solely for the pace he gives us against Parker.

My team from the 2003/2007 teams would be:-

Pogs

Clint Hill

Fitz Hall

Gregan

Armstrong

Taylor

Murray

Wellens

Eyres

Porter

Andrews

Bench.

Blayney

Liddell

Tony Carss

Darren Sheridan

Paul Warne

Of the 2007 team only Eardley, Wellens, Taylor and Porter would make it into my 11 but id rather watch the 2007 team and stick with Shez over Dowie. Looking at the stats, this season F69 A47 and in 2003 F68 A38 - I'm actually surprised the difference is that small.

The difference is quite small, but consider the quality of the opposition in that division - much much tougher than this season. It's all relative!

that team of 2003 was a belter!

if we hadnt had the financial troubles, and could have kept more or less the same team for the season after, i reckon we would have walked the league!

sayin that the lads this season have done tremendously well and i for one am proud of them!

lets just hope they have got two more top performances in them!!

i honestly think we will sneak it tomorrow!

COME ON YOU BLUES! :bounce:

Pogliacomi

Low

Fitz Hall

Hill

Haining

Eyres

Murray

Darren Sheridan

Armstrong

Andrews

Eyre.

Subs: Duxbury, Miskelly, Baudet, Corazzin, Carss

(Probable/possible)

Blayney

Charlton/Eddy

Haining

Gregan

Eardley

Taylor

McDonald

Wellens

Liddell

Porter

Warney

Pogs

Gregan

Hill

Fitz

Eyres

Murray

Rocky

Wellens

Taylor

Porter

Liddell

I await a cyber-bashing!

Andy, with Porter in that 2003 side we'd have drunk that league.

Guest sheridans_world
Andy, with Porter in that 2003 side we'd have drunk that league.

Scoring wasnt a problem, we let too many in. Adrain Littlejohn injured Les. If Les would have been fit for the whole season, we would have gone up Auto no problems...

Apologies if I put us on a downer now, but the 2003 team pishes all over this one!

For starters, you have a back 3 or sometimes 4 that hardly ever made mistakes, were commanding and pacey. You had a midfield that also had pace, fight and quality, plus the added extra of John Eyres best ever season.Tony Carss when fit was outstanding, as was josh Low who had pace to burn.

Up front no contest again, pace power and goals. They frightened the living day lights out of defenders.

The main difference is pace, power and fitness thats what they had that we are seriously lacking at present.

The question you should be asking is, out of this team which players owuld of made the starting 11 in the 2003 team??

My only answer is Porter, and maybe Wellens.

Scoring wasnt a problem, we let too many in. Adrain Littlejohn injured Les. If Les would have been fit for the whole season, we would have gone up Auto no problems...

Don't agree SW. Only Wigan conceded less than us thast season, and they were AWESOME that year. And our away record was immense, only losing 2 away from BP.

I think we drew too many games.

Only 3 players got into double figures that year and Eyresy top scored with 13 league goals.