I have GOT to get me one of these

Guest sheridans_world

Guest sheridans_world

Oil Cooling

I know there must be some other nerds on here like me. People that take PC's apart and re build them just for the fun of it.

I found this today. I am actually going to consider doing this with my PC at home, trial it with some old hardware. Dont understand the mechanics of how it works, the oil must not conduct. Anyway, post your thoughts?

It's a novelty more than cooling! I hope you don't want to upgrade your submerged kit S_W! That's going to be a bit inconvenient!

It doesn't really cool all that well, not compared to the Zalman Reserator.

In my personal opinion, I'd advise against it. Get a Zalman if your serious about cooling...

On the other hand, if your just into customisations...

cpu-tnq-01_6.jpg

As Homer Simpson would say "UGGHLGGGHH....."

homer5.jpg

Guest sheridans_world

Yes i was looking into getting a freezer and simply placing my m/board ontop of the frozen peas. Never quite took to the idea. My computer room gets very very hot very very quickly so need something practical that doesnt take up too much room.

Plus i dont have the balls to use water cooling units, dont want to invaladate my warranty completley at the same time as making sure i dont blow myself/house/street up!

Guest sheridans_world
Have you thought about opening the windows? ^_^

You mean the postage stamp i have? Only that little window at the top that opens, doesnt do anything!

upvcwindows01.jpg

I dont have the big one on the side, just the one at the top.

You mean the postage stamp i have? Only that little window at the top that opens, doesnt do anything!

upvcwindows01.jpg

I dont have the big one on the side, just the one at the top.

have you thought of taking the cover off? I have an overclocked AMD based system that heats up really quickly in a small room like yours - I thought about the various cooling options and as a temp measure to stop it locking up unscrewed the cover and left the sides away from the mounting lugs so there is a 2 cm gap to increase air flow inside the case. Problem solved......

You are increasing the intake area for dust and dirt. I'd advise against leaving large gaps around the case, the airflow holes in manufactured cases are positioned and built for the form it was intended. Moving the case away from the chassis for cooling is increasing the risk of part damage, and dare I say it - personal injury.

The casing belive it or not will have been designed using calcs to decide how much airflow is required. If you remove the cover you are nullifying the airflow characteristics which means your fan will be doing less and your comp is relying on ambient air. I could do some calcs for you or you could drill some holes at the point furthest from the fan, not too many mind, and keep the fan and components clean.