Fabrice Muamba: Racist Twitter user jailed for 56 days

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It seems that you actually disagree with how society/the law views free speech in the first place as you have mentioned many times, you have no interest in what the law says. Therefore, perhaps your question/statement could have been coined better.

In regards to the tarriff given to Mr Stacey, I accept that there perhaps are inconsistencies and yes there is more of an argument for and against, though I myself are happy with the outcome.

I agree. This is what I've been saying throughout the piece, the argument itself is now becoming ridiculous, and tiresome.

He was convicted of Inciting racial hatred.

This offence refers to:

deliberately provoking hatred of a racial group

distributing racist material to the public

making inflammatory public speeches

creating racist websites on the Internet

inciting inflammatory rumours about an individual or an ethnic group, for the purpose of spreading racial discontent.

The tweets i saw didn't seem to match the charge, although i may have interpretated it wrongly?.

The Judge also said "I have no choice but to impose an immediate custodial sentence to reflect the public outrage at what you have done"

The medias reporting and the whipping up of the publics outrage has influenced the judges decision. That is quite worrying.

I think his mistake was failing to realise that his drunken racist rants crossed the line between conversations with other tweeters, and publishing.

I still think the sentence was a disgrace, seeing as rapists, paedophiles, benefit cheats, thieves,thugs, and more serious criminals are free to walk the streets with a suspended sentences.

I could take issue with other points but, concentrating on the bit in bold, a conviction of rape will always carry a custodial sentence.

You would think so wouldn't you?? The FACT is, they don't. :blink:

http://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/8818983.Child_rapist_has_suspended_sentence_quashed/

That was a case of unlawful sexual intercourse with a child under 13-years-old, which, fair enough, is to be treated as rape under the Sexual Offences Act 2003. This was a case where the judge accepted the defendant's plea that the victim lied about her age, telling him she was 16, and said 'It doesn't seem to me to be fair to call you a predator or you groomed her. I think it is right to say she could pass for a 16-year-old.'

Guest Scratch2000uk

That was a case of unlawful sexual intercourse with a child under 13-years-old, which, fair enough, is to be treated as rape under the Sexual Offences Act 2003. This was a case where the judge accepted the defendant's plea that the victim lied about her age, telling him she was 16, and said 'It doesn't seem to me to be fair to call you a predator or you groomed her. I think it is right to say she could pass for a 16-year-old.'

The offence was two counts of grooming a child, two counts of, engaging in sexual activity with a girl under 13. He pleaded guilty to statutory rape of a girl under 13 on a limited basis that he believed she was 16.

Have to take the judges word for it, but as we know some judges don't always get it spot on. :unsure:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2020417/Judge-Mary-Jane-Mowat-frees-paedophile-teacher-David-Armstrong.html :shock:

http://www.dorsetecho.co.uk/news/9295107.Outrage_as_teen_sex_abuser_is_given_suspended_sentence/ :shock:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-17515992 :wink: