Ford/Lookers/New Start Mortgages Stand

LaticsPete

Isn't it wonderful to see the "togetherness" we had in that stand. Is it just my imagination or did it seem to be full like that nearly every week? I think we created a decent atmosphere in that stand and it is a real pity it was demolished. I wonder where they all are now? - certainly the majority of them won't enjoy the "matchday experience" as much as they did then. Braodway Stand RIP.

Just to add - I worked on the construction of the Braodway Stand when it was first built back in the seventies - I even had the Architects drawings pinned up on my wall at home, delighted by the fact my club were having a "new" stand built - even if it was only small. Happy days

I had a season ticket in the during the 98/99 season and I remember that on the pitch things were worse then than they are now and it was a much more positive atmosphere. I remember going 4-1 down to Gillingham and a mouse escaped on the pitch and this bloke at the back shouted "it's the rats escaping the sinking ship" which got a laugh from everyone on what was a grim day. Plus some pissed up bloke who used to always sing random songs word for word when the atmosphere went a bit flat. If only that atmosphere could return

can anyone confirm that the first game or official opening was v citeh preseason 1973 ? as i think this may have been my first game at latics as mentioned in my thanks dad post ?

Don't think so.

It was built in 1971 and in use in 71/2.

ta pete know my first game was around this time went to most of the saturday home games in 73/74 only mention of a game v citeah ive seen was jimmy frizzels testimonial but that was early 74 if i rememmber correctly hmmmmmmmmmmmm

• 2 weeks later...

Do miss that stand! You wouldnt be able to create that atmosphere again. Friendly bunch for all the years I was in there. Always supporting our team even joined in with the songs. Wish we still had that stand shame everyone got split up! RIP wooden stand of memories!