• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What was the score last time we played Ukraine away from home?

It could have been 10-0 to them. Matters precisely :censored: all now.

We'll get through and get knocked out in the quarters, but I'll take that.

A terrible performance.

If the hosts beat us we're out.

What was the score last time we played Ukraine away from home?

Can't beat OWTB for a bit of positivity - we should make Lawro an honorary member.

We can only beat what's in front of us and we've done it....with Rooney suspended and a shed-load of injuries.

Can't beat OWTB for a bit of positivity - we should make Lawro an honorary member.

We can only beat what's in front of us and we've done it....with Rooney suspended and a shed-load of injuries.

What is there to be positive about ? Suppose Welbeck looks alreet, and Gerrard is doing his best, but all in all we are pretty average, in fact - let's face it, we are dog :censored:. We can't even keep the ball well against a poor Sweden.

I saw what I saw.

There were occasions in that game when Terry and even Ashley Cole were murdered for pace by players not considered pacey.

On the first Swedish goal we saw our defender put the ball in to his own net when it was easier to clear. The failure to get Micah Richards in that squad needs addressing. Gerry Taggart is the most likely to get the blame for coaching the whole defence to perform like a crap third division side for the second goal.

Up top I thought Carroll's header was excellent but his hold up play less so. Wellbeck's finish very very special. He meant it and don't let anybody tell you different. I think we're seeing a player mature here and he should keep his place. Ashley Young was :censored:e for the second game in a row. Very disappointing as he was the one England player I thought would make a name for himself this tournament.

In the middle Gerrard and Parker didn't keep the ball well enough. No doubting their work rate but their accuracy was piss poor. Again. Milner started well but was barely in the game after half an hour. Walcott exposed a crap left back but was a tad lucky to see that shot swerve into the middle of the goal. Great assist for the winner and credit to Hodgson for bringing him on when he did.

I thought we tired before the Swedes and that's a concern against a Ukraine side who will be playing in conditions that they're used to, with a partisan crowd behind them and a simple requirement: Win the game and you go through - and Ukraine have beaten a better England side before.

We were shabby last night and got a bit of luck. I thought we'd easily contain them defensively but our back five and middle two didn't deliver.

Yes, you can only beat what's in front of you. Draw the next game and win the three after and we win the trophy. But to do that we need to be a lot sharper in our own half of the pitch.

Our options for change are a little limited. There's a temptation to play Rooney instead of Young, but I think Carroll will make way for handsome Wayne. And Young is due a good game. Walcott probably deserves a start ahead of Milner, but Milner's defensive qualities might get him on the team sheet.

The irony of last night was that we looked a more inventive team when we were chasing the game. At 1-0 and 1-1 we were fairly clueless against mediocre opposition. Perhaps a more cavalier approach is needed if we are to progress. But I can't see Hodgson setting his side up that way.

Edited by opinions4u

I disagree entirely.

There goals were a mixture of bad defending and luck on their part. Take out that period of the game and we were the far better team overall. I think it was shabby that we let them back in it, but far from shabby in how we won it.

Johnson couldn't do much about the own goal (not Mellberg's)

I will give Carroll credit, I for one thought his hold up play was quite good but he faded a bit.

Fantastic finish from Welbeck, though not as hard as people say, pure instinct. The way I look at it is what else could he have done with it. However, how many passes were there before hand 12/13, if Spain scored that, the whole world would be having kittens.

Gerrard and Parker were good again, the whole team aren't great at holding the ball but thats how English players are and needs to be worked on from the ground up. Accuracy, well Gerrards got two assists in two now from fantastic passes.

We tired so much we nearly got 1 or 2 more?

Our simple requirement is get a draw and were through, would rather be in that position than in the Ukraines, though I am not so stupid as to think thats a sure bet.

Not much flexibility for change, maybe, Hodgeson has been able to make the changes where its matter up to now. I won't go on about Rooney as we've made that mistake in the past, but potentially......

Ironically we were better when we were chasing the game.... again credit for Hodgeson, it's called a PLAN B!!!

At the end of the day I don't care, its perhaps the best weve played in a tournament game since Croatia in 04 and the first time we have beaten Sweden since '79 and ever in competition.

At the end of the day I don't care, its perhaps the best weve played in a tournament game since Croatia in 04 and the first time we have beaten Sweden since '79 and ever in competition.

Didn't we beat Sweden last year? Edited by opinions4u

What is there to be positive about ? Suppose Welbeck looks alreet, and Gerrard is doing his best, but all in all we are pretty average, in fact - let's face it, we are dog :censored:. We can't even keep the ball well against a poor Sweden.

We won the game; We showed character to win the game after being behind; We could have won by more; We're in a strong position to qualify after drawing one and winning one; Danny Welbeck stepping up in his first international tournament; Theo Walcott's performance off the bench.

There's a few positives for starters.

Sweden arn't a good side at the moment, but still have a lot of players capable of winning games for them. We've gone into this tournament without any expectation and a defeat last night wouldn't have been a complete shock. But we did the job whilst not at full strength - surely we can't ask for anymore than that?

We won the game; We showed character to win the game after being behind; We could have won by more; We're in a strong position to qualify after drawing one and winning one; Danny Welbeck stepping up in his first international tournament; Theo Walcott's performance off the bench.

There's a few positives for starters.

Sweden arn't a good side at the moment, but still have a lot of players capable of winning games for them. We've gone into this tournament without any expectation and a defeat last night wouldn't have been a complete shock. But we did the job whilst not at full strength - surely we can't ask for anymore than that?

We could have lost by more as well - there was a good spell when they were going through us at will. I don't understand it, put an England shirt on a player meant tobe worth £15-40 million and all of a sudden he can't pass a ball or trap a pallet of cement

Johnson couldn't do much about the own goal (not Mellberg's)

I'll know what he could have done. Not fallen asleep whilst his teammates pushed up following the freekick. He gifted Sweden that goal.

I think if there's good news about our defending so far, every one of the goals that we have conceded can be put down to clear mistakes from our players individually rather than us being taken apart by brilliance. If we cut out the sloppiness it should give us a real chance in this tournament.

We could have lost by more as well - there was a good spell when they were going through us at will. I don't understand it, put an England shirt on a player meant tobe worth £15-40 million and all of a sudden he can't pass a ball or trap a pallet of cement

Agree - this aspect of Englands team completely baffles me.

Ashley Young last night - hardly in the game. Lescott - looked awkward on the ball. Johnson - cannot remember a single overlapping run etc. etc.

They still look scared to express themselves a the highest level - and until we get in a management team that can build this confidence we will always struggle.

Still loved the fightback from 2-1 down and look forward to the final group game.

Agree - this aspect of Englands team completely baffles me.

Ashley Young last night - hardly in the game. Lescott - looked awkward on the ball. Johnson - cannot remember a single overlapping run etc. etc.

They still look scared to express themselves a the highest level - and until we get in a management team that can build this confidence we will always struggle.

Still loved the fightback from 2-1 down and look forward to the final group game.

He seems to be coming in for a fair bit of stick. Could his below-par performances be down to be him being played out of position? Isn't he more of a winger (rather than a striker) for Man Utd?

For Tuesday, I'd like to see Young and Oxlaide-Chaimberlain on the wings, with Rooney and Carroll up front.

Milner, who has been poor, can warm the bench.

It takes the piss that Russia had the better goal difference, but went out because of the head to head result. Always hated that rule. Is there anyone out there who thinks that it's fair?

While I think it should be goal difference, I don't have any strong feelings on it. The rules are known up front.

Up front or not, I'd be steemed if I was Russian. They sit there in a group level with a team who they effectively outplayed over 3 games by virtue of that that they scored two more goals, but the rules value one result higher than the other two so they have to go home. It devalues the whole point of a league system in my eyes.

Oh.....and screw away goals too.

Group position is based on:

1. Points gained.

2. Goal difference from all the games between teams tied on points.

3. Goals scored in all the games between teams tied on points.

4. Goals difference in all group games.

5. Goals scored in all group games.

6. Ranking in UEFA national coefficients league.

7. Fair play.

8. Drawing of lots.

I'd feel more peeved going out on (6). Or being knocked out for being on the wrong end of a refereeing decision that saw my team on the wrong end of a red card decision that also cost me points.

Some real :censored: waiting to hit the fan in future there.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UEFA_coefficient

Edited by opinions4u

Really pleased the Czech Republic went through. Their fans were absolute class at Euro 96, left loads of scarves and flowers at the war memorial and the Hillsborough memorial.

After spending yesterday afternoon in A&E (i inexplicably managed to sprain my foot standing up off the couch :petesake: ) i thought the Greece game was some kind of codeine-induced hallucination. Only saw the highlights but it looks like 1-0 flattered Russia. Pissed myself laughing at Samaras strolling up from the centre circle yelling at Karagounis to give him the ball just before he scored. How the hell that man makes a living as a professional footballer i'll never know. He can't even run like a normal human being. He looks like a cross between Freddie Mercury and Kermit the Frog.