Apparently some England fans tried to invade the pitch.

Naughty boys. Looked like an over zealous celebration to me, but we've been charged with invading the pitch.

Platini couldn't wait ...

Did he chase them onto the pitch swinging a bunch of onions at them, shouting, "Hon hon hon?" I'm sure there was no malice but we all know you aren't meant to do it, they can hardly deal with other infractions if they turn a blind eye to things like this.

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Apparently some England fans tried to invade the pitch.

Naughty boys. Looked like an over zealous celebration to me, but we've been charged with invading the pitch.

Platini couldn't wait ...

Depends how they define the pitch- at a fair few stadiums English fans would have been on the pitch as there isn't a running track round the outside. As there was a running track- which I saw English fans on then I can see his point. As it is compared to some of the other fan misdemeanours in this tournament getting on the running track as a consequence of an over-zealous celebration is very minor.

But its Platini and he's a anglophobic knob.

It takes the piss that Russia had the better goal difference, but went out because of the head to head result. Always hated that rule. Is there anyone out there who thinks that it's fair?

Its the rule they use in Spain and I can see the merits. Essentially why should a team be penalised because although they were the better team, conditions (like weather) meant they only won 1-0, whereas a team they beat qualify because they spanked the same opposition in good playing conditions 4-0, with some of the goals coming as result of the opposition chasing the game.

It would be like Man United winning the title on goal difference as a result of spanking Norwich 7-0 in a game played in glorious sunshine and Norwich having lots of players unavailable, whereas City beat United twice but could only beat a full strength Norwich 1-0 in a virtual blizzard. The head to head rule equalises a lot of the other variables in league football.

In a small group stage I'm less in favour than in a full league but I do quite like the rule.

If Portugal and Denmark win 1-0 tonight Germany go out because of the 3-2 (so more goals by both sides) in the Portugal Denmark game. If Spain Croatia is 2-2 then Italy could spank Ireland 10-0 and it wouldn't matter- the Italians are out by virtue of Spain and Croatia scoring 3 goals in the game between Spain Italy and Croatia, compared to the Italians 2.

It takes the piss that Russia had the better goal difference, but went out because of the head to head result. Always hated that rule. Is there anyone out there who thinks that it's fair?

Me. Stops teams qualifying by running up big scores in the final game, against already qualified teams playing their second string.

Anyonelse think that Uefa are dropping a bollock by altering the 16 team format?

A problem with the world cup is when you get the token asian and oceanian teams in who are cannon fodder so the early rounds of the world cup often the quality of football is poor so far in this tournament we have seen some decent sides go out of the competition already as the group stages has been fiercely competitive, their isn't really a too many weak sides going to 24 teams could allow somepretty average sides to come into the tournament.

They still look scared to express themselves a the highest level - and until we get in a management team that can build this confidence we will always struggle.

That will come eventually. But Hogdson is building from the back first, which is good. Once the foundations are set, then we can look to expressing ourselves more at a higher level.

Anyonelse think that Uefa are dropping a bollock by altering the 16 team format?

A problem with the world cup is when you get the token asian and oceanian teams in who are cannon fodder so the early rounds of the world cup often the quality of football is poor so far in this tournament we have seen some decent sides go out of the competition already as the group stages has been fiercely competitive, their isn't really a too many weak sides going to 24 teams could allow somepretty average sides to come into the tournament.

Yes. It's right that all of the Federations are represented in the World Cup, but the qualifiers should be the highlight for the crappy European teams, AKA Scotland

Another :censored: performance, but job done.

If we go on to win this we will be worse than the Greek side of 2004!

Goal line technology anyone :)

It defies belief that the two dickheads in line with that, empowered to make decisions, couldn't tell.

Edited by opinions4u

It defies belief that the two dickheads in line with that, empowered to make decisions, couldn't tell.

They can't physically slow the game down only technology can do that we should sack off this 5 officials lark and stick to 3 and come into the 21st century and embrace technology. They haven't made 1 key decision yet.

A good performance from England not great or spectacular but we showed discipline and I thought defended well Terry and Gerrard both stood out.

The linesman also turned a blind eye to the offside in the build-up to the one that crossed the line.

And the one shortly before that which Ukraine should have scored from. The linesman was either shockingly poor or bent.

I'm sick of of the fuss that everyone is making of this particular ghost goal, especially the Ukrainians, when everyone knows it shouldn't have stood anyway.

The best view I saw of it on the TV afterwards still only looked like the egde of the ball was about an inch over the back of the goal line, I'd be buggered if I would be confident to have given it watching in real time. I think they should just get on with it and stop being big jessies and give over with technology as well. It won't work anyway.

And England were fairly :censored:e again. I had expected this to be the game where we play well and trounce a rubbish team to feed our delusions, instead another workmanlike dour triumph. Is this a backhanded way for us to give ourselves hope to ensure the crushing weight of failure despite us all expecting to go out straight away? Doctor, help please...

The best view I saw of it on the TV afterwards still only looked like the egde of the ball was about an inch over the back of the goal line, I'd be buggered if I would be confident to have given it watching in real time.

What it boils down to is that it is the job of those two officials, the lino and the goal-line strange person, to make that call and to get it right. The same for the offside in the build up. The same, along with the referee, for the penalty we didn't get when Rooney's shirt was removed, put in the washing machine with some Daz Automatic and then returned.

My guess for the "goal" is that each official left that decision to the other. Or one gave it and one didn't, leaving the referee in the position of having to make a decision based on conflicting information.

Either way, the additional official behind the goal is a complete joke. They should be renamed "Platini's Pillocks".

Add onto this, that you can see the linesmans head on one of the replays and it is slightly to the left of the touchline (the pitch side) rather then in line with the right (the back of the line). At such a close distance this probably made the ball not look in to him.

The thing with these officials is that they have been tried and failed already, yet they have been brought into a major championship.

What it boils down to is that it is the job of those two officials, the lino and the goal-line strange person, to make that call and to get it right. The same for the offside in the build up. The same, along with the referee, for the penalty we didn't get when Rooney's shirt was removed, put in the washing machine with some Daz Automatic and then returned.

My guess for the "goal" is that each official left that decision to the other. Or one gave it and one didn't, leaving the referee in the position of having to make a decision based on conflicting information.

Either way, the additional official behind the goal is a complete joke. They should be renamed "Platini's Pillocks".

I'm glad someone else mentioned this, I shouted at the telly that the behindthelinesman should have spotted that, if not, what was he doing?

I've had a few debates about technology in football over the years, I usually state that matters of fact such as goals should have technology but last night's incident raises a point that a lad once raised with me in response to this. Offside is a matter of fact just like a goal, in terms of last night it was just as important, imagine if Platini's pillock had indicated that it was a goal we would all be up in arms that it was offside rather than feeling smug that we got away with it.

I stopped giving linesmen grief for offside decisions years ago, it is an impossible thing to do, watch the man playing the ball, the attacker and the defender, even if they are in a line more often than not the lino just guesses. There has been a goal in Euro2012, can't remember which that the lino didn't flag for offside even though it was impossible for him to see the man playing the attacker onside. The pundits sung his praises but he guessed it. No one can look at 3 different things at once, it is impossible, especially if we are dealing with an attacker with pace timing his run to perfection, he will look about 5 yards offside by the time he gets the ball and more often than not the lino flags as "he has to be offiside, look at him."

This needs sorting out just as much as goal line technology.

This has just come up in my twitter feed:

Sky News Newsdesk@SkyNewsBreak

President of FIFA Sepp Blatter says after last night's match "goal-line technology is no longer an alternative but a necessity"

Expand

But what about the offside Sepp? You knee-jerking incompetent prat?

While we are on annoying shortsightedness, a lot of the media are going on about the Ukraine keeper making a hash of it for our goal. How is the poor bastard meant to allow for the ball taking two significant deflections on it's way across?

While we are on annoying shortsightedness, a lot of the media are going on about the Ukraine keeper making a hash of it for our goal. How is the poor bastard meant to allow for the ball taking two significant deflections on it's way across?

I think he should have done better but I don't think he should have been expected to catch the cross.

I can't believe the Ukrainians are still whinging about being "robbed", and that all of the English media are saying that we are finally getting our slice of luck.

IT WAS OFFSIDE!!! (as was their other major chance)

Had the goal been given it would have been bad luck for us all over again.

Yes we need goalline technology, but stop making this out to be some travesty of justice. It wasn't

I've had a few debates about technology in football over the years, I usually state that matters of fact such as goals should have technology but last night's incident raises a point that a lad once raised with me in response to this. Offside is a matter of fact just like a goal, in terms of last night it was just as important, imagine if Platini's pillock had indicated that it was a goal we would all be up in arms that it was offside rather than feeling smug that we got away with it.

Nah, We'd have topped the group, Ukraine second and the French out... I'd have laughed! :wink::lol: