Science, bitches!

Ackey

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brian Cox@ProfBrianCox

So, in very simple language; ATLAS and CMS have independently discovered a new particle mass ~ 126 GeV which behaves like SM Higgs.

GeV stands for GigaelectronVolts, a tiny unit of energy (approximately 0.00000000016 Joules). So to clarify that further, making use of mass-energy equivalence (yes, E = mc2) the Higgs mass is approximately 0.000000000000000000000000002kg - I think I have my zeroes correct there - an excellent use of both work time and work's calculator. Though of course this is only the particle element, it is expected that similar to light it will appear to co-exist as both a wave and a particle.

If anybody is really interested in this, or has questions - I can do my best to answer (4th year of an Astrophysics degree).

GeV stands for GigaelectronVolts, a tiny unit of energy (approximately 0.00000000016 Joules). So to clarify that further, making use of mass-energy equivalence (yes, E = mc2) the Higgs mass is approximately 0.000000000000000000000000002kg - I think I have my zeroes correct there - an excellent use of both work time and work's calculator. Though of course this is only the particle element, it is expected that similar to light it will appear to co-exist as both a wave and a particle.

No it isn't

I got one for you. Why you no study something useful like philosophy?

Explain that with your fancy pants numerals, egghead.

-

I bet he wouldn't know Kant's Categorical Imperative if it came and slapped him round the face.

What is it with people having - at the bottom of their posts but above the signature? I'm seeing it on chrome on linux and chrome on windows7?

-

I've been meaning to ask that for a while. It's always on Prozac's, I was wondering if it was some in gag that nobody had told me about :unsure:

'eh? Surely the existence of the higgs boson and all that does nothing to prove the existence of God? It has been given the name of "The God particle" but it has nothing to do with God. If it does anything it adds more weight to the non-existence of a god.

'eh? Surely the existence of the higgs boson and all that does nothing to prove the existence of God? It has been given the name of "The God particle" but it has nothing to do with God. If it does anything it adds more weight to the non-existence of a god.

Imagine if it had been called, "The Lethal Warren Feeney Particle," We would all be feeling a bit stupid then.

Hey Ackey I think you need to change your sig!!

I have sig's turned off as I don't like them... I assume one of the Mods has been having fun? I shall go check.

In other news the "God Particle" was actually named the "Goddamn Particle" as it was hard to find, this was abbreviated to :censored: with creationists - for teh lulz