Student Finances

Thats fair enough from a medic. I wouldnt know but one of highest placed World wide in recent tables. Oxford Cambridge, Imperial College. http://www.thecomple...tables/rankings

Stats never tell the story but a load of snobbery about "proper" universities. Edge Hill for example gets very positive comments but well down this year. Mine is 72nd and reflects what I have said re satisfaction but utter bollocks really as you have nothing to compare it with yourself. Loved every minute of Sheffield and would reco.

Jim I get what you say just feel students wont tolerate what perhaps those sliightly older would have from the few dumbass idiots who feel its acceptable not to turn up on a whim without an email, a mate travelled in from Leeds to lectures and had numerous wasted trips, the cost is so high and satisfaction is becoming a massive factor. Many are very scared of negative social media on numbers. Fortunately lots of fab people too. Experience of others within a City / Institution is becoming a key factor in applications and changing the delivery. I also agree some of the observations and stories you wouldnt believe as too outlandish.

Quite agree, the bad academics are unacceptable under the previous fee regimes and so yes, this will very much be a kick up the arse for em.

Yep, I know a bit about student protest, my building has a habit of being occupied etc.

Edited by jimsleftfoot

Perhaps they think they know it all and its a rude awakening....that they need. See what I did there ;-) must be frustrating within medicine to see people like that. Know Sheffield's teaching hospitals (Great place to be ill) are surprised at standards from diff places. Know a lot of nurses ;-)

Jim I got good offers for both Architecture and Landscape Architecture in Manchester but in all honesty found it all too big, (went to a school with class sizes of 14/16) visited at least five times, just a number in a big pot. The staff great. The reputation element was very firmly coming accross, in presentations and interviews. Do you think thats a fair judgement?

If Manchester Uni is one thing, its big...... and sometimes to its detriment. Completely fair judgement and something its working on.

Universities always have been there to do research for. Now for good or ill they are becoming more about teaching (old debate about over-expansion) but I hope it doesn't mean some internationally renowned bloke having to put his scalpel or books down to have to go stand in front of a load of bored 1st years for half their week. It's not like they all make the best lecturers anyway, I would as soon be taught basic economics by a PHD student as by a 50 year old who hasn't genuinely thought about that :censored: for decades.

As Tulsehill's niece, the are plenty of opportunities to make money in Leeds via torture, extortion, murder, arson etc.

You thinking of going back for a refresher?

This is the problem though. It's not a convincing system at all. For one thing, it's meant to mimic or actually to be a market, but It's not a market in any normal sense. If student A finds that their course is a dud, they can't just drop it and pick another. Student B has to pick another course on the basis of student A's experience for the market mechanism to work properly. This will not happen.

Also, is £9,000 the entry tariff, or is it 3 As? Why offer places without knowing what A levels someone has? Why not just throw open your doors to people who know they've got the grades? Why not offer financial discounts for people with top grades?

If employers go off reputation (some will, some won't), they're making a mistake. Reputation is earned in research, not teaching. They might be getting people who've been taught badly because they insisted on going to a fantastic research institution with a great reputation for letting students down.

If employers get people on the basis of their competence (if they do skills-based interviews etc.), they could end up picking someone who never went to university, in which case students A-Z have wasted their time and cash.

It's all bollocks as far as I'm concerned. I've told the niece: you haven't done anything bad exactly, but you're going to prison. Your neighbours will be insane and/or disgusting; you'll never have any money and don't think the screws will look after you because they don't give a :censored:. That'll be £9,000 per annum please, or £27,000 in total. After which you'll be mentally ill and on the dole. Okay?

It's all bollocks as far as I'm concerned. I've told the niece: you haven't done anything bad exactly, but you're going to prison. Your neighbours will be insane and/or disgusting; you'll never have any money and don't think the screws will look after you because they don't give a :censored:. That'll be £9,000 per annum please, or £27,000 in total. After which you'll be mentally ill and on the dole. Okay?

Everyone really does have an Uncle Knobhead, after all.

:wink:

Nope, one of us was paying attention in 6th form, I've got it covered.

Actually being taught by PHD students is normally what people complain about i.e. that it is them who are more interested in their own research, than the money they get on the side from helping out teaching.

Actually being taught by PHD students is normally what people complain about i.e. that it is them who are more interested in their own research, than the money they get on the side from helping out teaching.

I hated being taught by PhD students although admittedly it didn't happen beyond first year. And the thought of being taught by some of my coursemates going on to do PhDs the year after I left teaching people terrified me, never mind paying a considerable fortune for the privilege!

Everyone really does have an Uncle Knobhead, after all.

:wink:

You've changed. You've become emboldened since they kicked you out of London.

If she lives in Armley shes sorted on all fronts then.

...described in the prospectus as C19th halls set in generous grounds close to the city centre and other amenities. Shared bathrooms. Launderette on site. Free gym membership.

I hated being taught by PhD students although admittedly it didn't happen beyond first year. And the thought of being taught by some of my coursemates going on to do PhDs the year after I left teaching people terrified me, never mind paying a considerable fortune for the privilege!

The idea is that they are so desperate for money to eat that they have to do it properly. PhDs should only be teaching in relevant courses but in the case of that I think they can bring as much as a Profesor who has spent the last 30 years eating his tie and throwing peanuts at his mouth (to name but one specimin of the genre)

The idea is that they are so desperate for money to eat that they have to do it properly. PhDs should only be teaching in relevant courses but in the case of that I think they can bring as much as a Profesor who has spent the last 30 years eating his tie and throwing peanuts at his mouth (to name but one specimin of the genre)

Not having it. If I'm paying £9,000, I want Dr This and Professor That doing the talking, not Mr Tarquin MA, who's been rather over-indulged in the world of education already, talking about the sex life of the C16th cottar.

Leeds talks a good game in this respect. It's apparently all about building transferable skills for the workplace while gaining knowledge of medieval feminism etc. Seems unlikely, but that's the story, and Leeds is sticking to it.

What about Prof Brian Cox??? It depends on the route but many Profs do have years of experience of teaching and are great at it, some are not. In the same manner some PHD students teach for money, but they prefer the research side and have limited experience of teaching.

What about Prof Brian Cox??? It depends on the route but many Profs do have years of experience of teaching and are great at it, some are not. In the same manner some PHD students teach for money, but they prefer the research side and have limited experience of teaching.

As we all know, academics more than anyone come in all shapes and sizes, and degrees of weirdness. I suppose it does matter a lot on the subject, and also the level. First year economics lectures for me were taught by people who were trotting out the same stuff they had been teaching for donkeys years, they brought nothing to it that reading a textbook couldn't have got you. Proper high level research academics. This is wasting everyone's time surely? On the other hand the introductory philosophy classes were pretty inspiring on the whole, done by academics who could get passionate about what they were discussing. On the whole the top research guns should be kept for seminars and one on ones and for the later years (and postgrads), it's the lack of these that would piss me off if I was going these days, especially paying.