Celebrity Sweepstake

Matt

Saddened when I heard Hall had been involved in this, always seemed a nice bloke. I've not read the ins and outs but I've heard enough to be confused by the 15 month sentence.

Not of the opinion 'they should be killed' but, irrespective of his age, he deserved a sentence fitting the crime. Should've spent the majority of his twilight years in abject misery behind bars.

• Replies 351
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Indeed, Matt. The sentencing guidelines applicable at the time of the offences are relevant and partially account for the relatively short sentence. But his age, or any other offender's for that matter, will have no bearing on his sentence (at least, officially - judges can be odd characters and one barrister publicly commented that this police operation served only to persecute old men!) as that would constitute age discrimination which is contrary to UK and EU law. Serious ill health (i.e. something terminal) can result in early release and, possibly (I'd have to check), suspension of a sentence but that's not applicable to Hall.

The guidelines are just that though - they're not hard-and-fast rules. Judges must have regard to them but can contradict them in the interests of justice, which opens up possibilities for longer and shorter sentences in given circumstances.

A rape charge was denied by Hall and has been left on file (not to be proceeded with without the leave of the Court or the Court of Appeal) but can be re-instituted, possibly if more victims come forward.

The alleged victim (as is her right) decided not to give evidence when he admitted the rest. Probably she thought he down for a long stretch anyway. I'd have hanged him as soon as i knew he had Dave Whelan as a character witness

Order! Order! Nigel Evans, the Deputy Speaker, has been ordered to return to the police station on June 19, after being arrested on suspicion of rape of one man and sexual assault of another man, now in their early 20s, between 2009 and 2013.

Sky have just tweeted:

House of Commons Deputy Speaker Nigel Evans arrested on suspicion of three further offences of sexual assault.

Sky have just tweeted:

House of Commons Deputy Speaker Nigel Evans arrested on suspicion of three further offences of sexual assault.

I am intrigued about this one, as someone i know reported him to the then party chairman for aggressive drunken cock-grabbing, research gives it a 50% chance of having been Blackpool 2003.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Nigel Evans on the House of Commons terrace last night with a bunch of young lads. He kept his hands in his pockets (for a change) but, other things being equal, that's a confident statement of innocence.

Attack is the best form of defence, which is ironic in view of last night's votes in the House.

• 2 weeks later...

Evans has been re-arrested this morning.

Not surprised. What would happen is this. He'd go to the bar where loads of young political researchers go (no fate is too grim for those bastards, by the way). He'd have a few and start getting a bit handy. Sometimes he pulled it off (literally). Sometimes not. The problem is it's not a gay bar, even if there are gay men in it.

And then again he's a senior MP - was even before he became a Deputy Speaker. So people are there with their mates getting felt up by a senior MP. Suppose they have the balls to tell the police. What are the police going to do? What would the Serjeant at Arms do? :censored: all is what. They're scared to death to stand up to MPs, whatever the circumstances. Why? Because MPs give them their jobs.

It's an absolute miracle that any of this ever came out.