The Day Irony Died - Nobel Peace Prize

leeslover

So, just now, we have:

Undemocratic puppet governments installed across Southern Europe

Canibalism rife in Greece

Spain on the verge of breaking up

Germany terrified of the huge debts they are exposed to

Neo-Nazi movements growing strongly

In fact, the only unity it has brought is that suddenly the Scottish have realised that it's no time to be a Third World country on their own....

And the EU has been awarded the Nobel Peace Prize. You really couldn't make it up.

Guest Scratch2000uk

You can knock the EU for many reasons, and rightly so, But the EU has brought stability to a region, which had been a battle ground for many centuries. At least that's one good thing, :wub:

We all seem to hate each other still, but in a nicer way. :naughty:

You can knock the EU for many reasons, and rightly so, But the EU has brought stability to a region, which had been a battle ground for many centuries. At least that's one good thing, :wub:

We all seem to hate each other still, but in a nicer way. :naughty:

I can't help but feel that all of the Western European armed forces being integrated into a structure under the overwhelmingly more powerful USA might have played more of a role. Also helped that they could see the USSR peering over the wall at them. Lets face it, the Yugoslavian federation, "kept the peace," for 40 years with much looser ties and between people with less love for each other than us, the French and the Germans. Didn't end up so well though.

Guest Scratch2000uk

It probably wasn't an instigating factor for the formation of the union though.

I think the EU today wants the "loose ties" tightening up, Being forced together doesn't always work over the longer term,

Is joining the EU, that's voluntarily, and has the peoples backing, such a bad thing?, Personally I'm not sure, But, you could argue that it isn't so bad. Slovenia got into the EU in 2004. Croatia, Bosnia-Herzegovina, Macedonia, Serbia and Montenegro all want to join. After what they endured ,you wouldn't think they would want anything to do with each other, would you.

Edited by Scratch2000uk

Didnt barak obabma get it last year?

He got it about 30 seconds after winning the election, before showing George W how to REALLY blow the :censored: out of countries. Up there with Henry Kissenger getting it for carpet bombing Cambodia or Al Gore getting it for being a complete :censored:.

Slightly aside, I have to thank a more worthy winner of the prize, Baron Trimble of Lisnagarvey, for telling me in person that the virulently homophobic Ulster Unionist Jeffrey Donaldson MP is actually a raving gayer. I laughed for a week.

I can't help but feel that all of the Western European armed forces being integrated into a structure under the overwhelmingly more powerful USA might have played more of a role. Also helped that they could see the USSR peering over the wall at them. Lets face it, the Yugoslavian federation, "kept the peace," for 40 years with much looser ties and between people with less love for each other than us, the French and the Germans. Didn't end up so well though.

The EU still has governed for the long time where peace has prevailed and I don't think you can seperate that and says its not played a part. Europe had been the centre of many wars between the biggest super powers for hundreds of years and if the countries couldn't get it on for the EU, who says they would have been able to get it on for NATO. The EU is a power base and that means it helps to maintain peace and its technically should be perceived to be more positive than NATO.

Basic salary for MEP €95,500. EU tax deduction €21,000. Pension deduction 3.5%.

Office expenses allowance €4,299 a month.

Secretarial assistance allowance €16,914 a month. In addition to each MEP having a "Chief of Staff" employed directly by the Parliament.

€298 daily allowance for turning up (tax free, covers hotel costs etc). Even if you stay in a budget hotel. A further €149 a day is allowed for meetings outside the EU. Plus hotel costs.

Two thirds of private medical costs for an MEP are paid by the EU.

Travel costs reimbursed in full. Mileage costs reimbursed at €0.49 a km.

What do we get in return?

The people of this nation elected Nick Griffin to benefit from this.

The suggestion from Nobel is peace.

I just think you have to look for the causal event Jim. Some dudes talking about how to control their steel production, or millions of US, Canadian and British troops with thousands of tanks all over the place? Thorbjorn Jagland, who was in charge of the award this year, was big on Norwegian entry when he was PM. Who thinks that entering the EU would help Peace right now?