iPhone 5

Yard Dog

Just been given an iPhone 5 and will be using it for work.

Since smartphones came out, I've always been android. Had a HTC and then my Galxay S3, which I love - although it is a bit of a brick.

I'm not very tech savvy at all, but have tried to keep myself reasonably up to date with android stuff for my phones. But I know absolultely nothing about iphones, apple etc...never even used itunes other than to burn a few cds years back.

Any tips on the phone, IOS, useful/good apps etc would be really appreciated.

I do like it. Feels fast and smooth and simple. Annoying that there aren't really any widgets as such like my s3 running jelly bean. Also, do you honestly have to come out of what you're doing every time you want to go into settings? Settings can be accessed really easily from everywhere on the s3. Making calls is cumbersome too. On the s3 just swipe right on the name whenever you see it and the call is made.

The App Store, iTunes and podcasts are better than I expected. Very impressed with those.

Edited by Yard Dog

Also, do you honestly have to come out of what you're doing every time you want to go into settings? Settings can be accessed really easily from everywhere on the s3.

Double tap the home button brings up your recent or background running programs. If you use settings a lot it'll be there. But it's not exactly hard or slow to navigate there.

Apps wise?

iRadio - You can record full radio shows on this for playback later

Downcast - Great podcast management app. Much more superior to apple's native one.

Instagram - nice camera app with retro filters which syncs well with FB & twitter.

Apps I use regularly:

TweetBot - Twitter client

Kindle - read books (syncs with my Kindle) - handy for a half hour break in the gents toilets at work

Barclays Mobile - banking app

Naturespace - sort of new age stuff, great for trying to sleep on planes or trains

Clear - nicely designed to do list

Reeder - RSS feed reader

BBC iPlayer - does what it says, can also download shows

BBC iPlayer Radio - as above for radio, although without the downloading (yet)

Skype - it's Skype

Onavo Extend - compress data to save on allowances

Camera+ - photo editing app

Dropbox - remote access to synced copies of photos/documents

Hailo/Train Times/Next Bus/Flight+ - travel apps, mostly London specific

Others I like but don't use much:

Adobe Photoshop Express - basic photo editing

Attachments.me - access and manipulate Gmail attachments

Camera Genius - more photo editing

Snapseed - more advanced photo editing

Convertbot - multipurpose converter (currencies, distances, volumes, weights, etc)

Find My Friends - has helped me work out how lost my wife is more than once

Ghostly Discovery - chill out tunes

Inception - really clever app using music from the film in line with your location

JotNot Scanner - document scanner (basically takes photos of paper, then adjusts for the wrinkles)

Due - more advanced to do list app

On Air - pretty decent TV guide (there are surprisingly few decent UK TV guide apps)

Pastebot - clipboard manager (nicely designed, rarely used)

Pocket - app for reading articles saved from websites later

QuickOffice Pro - reasonably good office app

Radioplayer - very good UK radio app

Shazam Encore - handy for identifying music playing near you

TuneIn Radio Pro - another very good radio app

Twitterrific - another Twitter client

Typic - add text to your photos

Left To Spend - very basic, easy to use budgeting app

• 2 weeks later...

Anyone able to personally recommend a good running app for iphone 5? Obviously looking for GPS route and distance tracking, pace etc but really want a ghost race feature and the ability to listen to podcast at same time. I don't want to pay for the app. Bit tight,but I'm buying a proper running watch in a month so the app is just to see me through until then.

This is one area where I prefer the iPhone over the s3 - you can run with an iPhone in your pocket but the s3 is too big!

If only the iPhone ran jelly bean 4.1.2 as its os! Then I might ditch the s3

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone able to personally recommend a good running app for iphone 5? Obviously looking for GPS route and distance tracking, pace etc but really want a ghost race feature and the ability to listen to podcast at same time. I don't want to pay for the app. Bit tight,but I'm buying a proper running watch in a month so the app is just to see me through until then.

This is one area where I prefer the iPhone over the s3 - you can run with an iPhone in your pocket but the s3 is too big!

Runkeeper's all right for a freebie.

Late to the party but Map My Run and Map My Run+ (cost a quid and removes the adverts, adds a couple of features) are on both my iPhone and my HTC and I've never had a fault with either app or phone.