LEE HUGHES......

futchers briefs

Good signing?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Is Hughes a good thing for Latics?

• Yes, 100%
    • Only time will tell, but probably YES
    • No, 100%
    • Only time will tell, but probably NO

Guest sheridans_world
Trust me, I won't be celebrating anything this 'man' does for us.

And it isn't close to being the same, they won't be working in a high profile job in the public eye.

Tram Driver? Bus Driver? Train Driver? Shop Assistant?

They all work in the public domain, mate.

As said, grab your balls and stand for parliment and get him a longer term then?

No? Didnt think so...

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's remember that nobody wanted to drive that useless crock of crap Killen out of the club when he was pissed up behind the wheel in Newcastle - he took a chance and got away without causing an accident, Hughes didn't. If I remember rightly Hughes had some hardcore mental problems, let's hope they are fixed and give him a chance.

I wonder if the probation people will take a dim view if he chins someone during a game? He'll get plenty of chances to I dare say.

Let's remember that nobody wanted to drive that useless crock of crap Killen out of the club when he was drunk up behind the wheel in Newcastle - he took a chance and got away without causing an accident, Hughes didn't. If I remember rightly Hughes had some hardcore mental problems, let's hope they are fixed and give him a chance.

I wonder if the probation people will take a dim view if he chins someone during a game? He'll get plenty of chances to I dare say.

How glad is Keigan "Dive" Parker now that Greags has brought his mate to beat him up!?!?

Spot on SW.. for me, whatever he did is by the by.. i'm sorry, he been in prison, served his time, rightly or wrongly - none of us are judges...

Any talk for me of his attitude are radically misplaced... if you were a footballer who has spent 3 years in jail, thinking about what you had done (i'm sorry - i bet most footballers drink drive, this guy is not an animal) all you would want to do is get out and prove yourself.... and as the article says, I bet all he has done is keep fit...

I imagine he will come to us ready to go, strongre the ever, and with a determination to succeed... this guy always looked a damn good player, and was always spoken as the best striker outside the prem... he is quick, powerful, and a great finisher, a bit like a beckett with pace....

As the article says, this type of deal does not happen overnight... his mental state would have been assessed and his attitude will have been clearly looked at - we all know Shez knows what he is looking for - and if he feels this boy is right for us then i am 100% behind him - and am very excited to see him in an Oldham shirt...

What we need is for every fan to get 100% behind him - he has done his time and now he is a Latic - and potentially the best natural goalscorer we have seen a this club for many many a year...

HUGHESY!!! HUGHESY!!!!

Guest sheridans_world
HUGHESY!!! HUGHESY!!!!

I am not quite at this stage yet.

But i agree with what you say.

Some people say that this bloke is an animal and should be imprisoned for longer because he killed someone.

Fact is. You hear it every other week about a premiership player getting caught drink-driving. They just got caught in time.

If this bloke would have been caught before he hit that car, would you be of the same opinion?

Pennant, Joe Cole and Rooney have all had points on their licence for drink driving. The police managed to catch and stop these before they did the damage...

Take away his past and this is a BIG BIG coup for Latics. His record at West Brom speaks volumes. Especially the 98/99 season when he banged in 32 in the Championship.

If he can hit any sort of form similar to that in his past, then i'm sure he'll have been worth the gamble. That said, it is a gamble but one i'm pleased with taking. He has the ability to set the record straight. Show people whilst he's once again now back in the public spotlight (as it'll be on him a fair bit), that he as seen the wrong doing he has done and how Prison has hopefully changed him for the better. I'm guessing those are along the same line's he's told Sheridan, which has made him J.S take the gamble.

He wont be on anywhere near the sort of money you'd expect he was on earlier in his career either. If it was anyone, you'd expect now that a club has taken a chance and given him a lifeline he probably thought he'd never have - that he'll try his upmost to pay us back.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Take away his past and this is a BIG BIG coup for Latics. His record at West Brom speaks volumes. Especially the 98/99 season when he banged in 32 in the Championship.

If he can hit any sort of form similar to that in his past, then i'm sure he'll have been worth the gamble. That said, it is a gamble but one i'm pleased with taking. He has the ability to set the record straight. Show people whilst he's once again now back in the public spotlight (as it'll be on him a fair bit), that he as seen the wrong doing he has done and how Prison has hopefully changed him for the better. I'm guessing those are along the same line's he's told Sheridan, which has made him J.S take the gamble.

He wont be on anywhere near the sort of money you'd expect he was on earlier in his career either. If it was anyone, you'd expect now that a club has taken a chance and given him a lifeline he probably thought he'd never have - that he'll try his upmost to pay us back.

It's a brilliant coup. In a way Senor is right it's terribly inhumane that he is being let out but like many have said it's not for us to judge, put that down to the incompetence of the Jury passing sentence. Till I see him at BP I won't believe it either.

We need a song for him though because 'Hughesy, Hughesy' makes me feel a tad ill (13 years later)

'Oh Lee Hughes, he's not a jailbird anymore' :o

As i've stated before, when you look at it in pure footballing terms (and that's what we discuss on here!! Most of the time!!)

Answer this truthfully.....1st game next season, would you rather have Chris "Marlon Brando" Hall or Lee Hughes in your starting 11???

As i've stated before, when you look at it in pure footballing terms (and that's what we discuss on here!! Most of the time!!)

Answer this truthfully.....1st game next season, would you rather have Chris "Marlon Brando" Hall or Lee Hughes in your starting 11???

Does that even need thinking about? Of course next season if the said player scores the goal that fires us to promotion I can't wait to see every Latics fan go ballistic apart from Coco of course. :grin:

It's a brilliant coup. In a way Senor is right it's terribly inhumane that he is being let out but like many have said it's not for us to judge, put that down to the incompetence of the Jury passing sentence. Till I see him at BP I won't believe it either.

We need a song for him though because 'Hughesy, Hughesy' makes me feel a tad ill (13 years later)

'Oh Lee Hughes, he's not a jailbird anymore' :o

He's bald, not on the dole, he's gonna score a goal...Lee Hughes, Lee Hughes!! :rolleyes:

Does that even need thinking about? Of course next season if the said player scores the goal that fires us to promotion I can't wait to see every Latics fan go ballistic apart from Coco of course. :grin:

Guess i'll be easy to spot then.

Guest sheridans_world
Guess i'll be easy to spot then.

Indeed you will. You pay your taxes, you vote. A representative of you made the decision to imprison him for that amout of time.

Guest gillianfn

For me, Hughes should have received a far longer sentence - and if that were the case, we wouldn't be having this discussion, because by the time he saw light of day again, he would be too old to play. My problem with him is the way he drove away and hid for nearly 2 days, knowing what he had done. What a vile character. I don't really want to see him in a Latics shirt, irrespective of how many goals he could score, I really don't. But that's just my opinion.

Indeed you will. You pay your taxes, you vote. A representative of you made the decision to imprison him for that amout of time.

In fairness to SCoco he has got his point & shouldn't be overly criticised because he is in the small majority that believe he shouldn't be able to play for us. But, if he does sign he will need all the support he can get because he will get terrorised whoever we play & rightly so! I know for one that if he signed elsewhere & came to BP or we went to wherever I'd give him abuse all game.

For me, Hughes should have received a far longer sentence - and if that were the case, we wouldn't be having this discussion, because by the time he saw light of day again, he would be too old to play. My problem with him is the way he drove away and hid for nearly 2 days, knowing what he had done. What a vile character. I don't really want to see him in a Latics shirt, irrespective of how many goals he could score, I really don't. But that's just my opinion.

Entitled granted...... Just 1 thing to remember surely. We follow latics because they are OUR football team and not a political party or judicial system that give sentences out.

If he plays for us and plays poorly, i will then criticise as my entitlement as a paying football fan! And if and when he scores winning goals i shall praise him the same as if the mighty rodger was back!

Guest sheridans_world

I agree with you as far as the sentencing is concerned.

Again i point you in the direction of Wayne Rooney, Joe Cole and Jermaine Pennant.

All have been caught drink driving.

Sadly as far as the stats go for everyone one person who is caught drink driving, five get away with it. Those five could easily have crashed into someone on the road.

As i said to Coco. You vote, you pay your taxes. The judicial system is in place to represent you. A representative (judge) made the decision that he should only be sentenced for that amout of time. However immoral or unjust his actions may have been then. He has served the time given to him by your country.

Fresh Start, Clean Slate. What he did was in the past.

However, i respect your opinion but just ask yourself. Have you ever made a mistake?

In fairness to SCoco he has got his point & shouldn't be overly criticised because he is in the small majority that believe he shouldn't be able to play for us. But, if he does sign he will need all the support he can get because he will get terrorised whoever we play & rightly so! I know for one that if he signed elsewhere & came to BP or we went to wherever I'd give him abuse all game.

I doubt his past went without comment inside, so lets hope he can cope with it on the pitch. Anyway, it's better that he makes something of what is left of his career and starts to put his life back together than him going mental again and becoming a junkie. If he isn't allowed to work then lets just hang the bloke and be done with it, neither course is going to bring back the people he killed.

Guest gillianfn
Entitled granted...... Just 1 thing to remember surely. We follow latics because they are OUR football team and not a political party or judicial system that give sentences out.

If he plays for us and plays poorly, i will then criticise as my entitlement as a paying football fan! And if and when he scores winning goals i shall praise him the same as if the mighty rodger was back!

Touche. I think my issues go a bit deeper, my grandfather died as a result of someone's negligence in an RTA, over recent years I have lost 2 friends in road traffic accidents, one at the hands of a drunken driver - so I do have personal feelings that I admit cloud my judgment. I guess if football is all he knows then he has to make a living somehow, I just think I would prefer not to have to sing his name from the stands - if he got involved in youth coaching and put something back at that level, I'd not be entirely happy, but I'd be happier than seeing him swanning around on the pitch, if that makes sense.

Guest sheridans_world
Touche. I think my issues go a bit deeper, my grandfather died as a result of someone's negligence in an RTA, over recent years I have lost 2 friends in road traffic accidents, one at the hands of a drunken driver - so I do have personal feelings that I admit cloud my judgment. I guess if football is all he knows then he has to make a living somehow, I just think I would prefer not to have to sing his name from the stands - if he got involved in youth coaching and put something back at that level, I'd not be entirely happy, but I'd be happier than seeing him swanning around on the pitch, if that makes sense.

Fair Doo's. Hold My Hands Up.

I hope he does go into Coaching when his career is over. He has had valuable experience in how to deal with a very difficult situation. He can pass it onto the next generation and teach them not to make the same mistakes.

Fair Doo's. Hold My Hands Up.

I hope he does go into Coaching when his career is over. He has had valuable experience in how to deal with a very difficult situation. He can pass it onto the next generation and teach them not to make the same mistakes.

It's going mental on Talksport as we speak.

What station is talksport. I tend to avoid is because of that united numpty terry christian.

edit: doesnt matter i've got it online

Ditto, in fairness to Barry Owen he is playing an absolute blinder with regards to the radio.