LEE HUGHES......

futchers briefs

Good signing?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Is Hughes a good thing for Latics?

• Yes, 100%
    • Only time will tell, but probably YES
    • No, 100%
    • Only time will tell, but probably NO

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me, Hughes should have received a far longer sentence - and if that were the case, we wouldn't be having this discussion, because by the time he saw light of day again, he would be too old to play. My problem with him is the way he drove away and hid for nearly 2 days, knowing what he had done. What a vile character. I don't really want to see him in a Latics shirt, irrespective of how many goals he could score, I really don't. But that's just my opinion.

How the hell do you know this??? A normal guy runs someone over, paps himself and panics - it was wrong, he has served his sentence deemed correct by the powers that be - but Vile character??? what a load of rubbish...

So many people lives are ruined from people presuming they know something about thier character... lets give this lad a chance to rebuild his life, and help the club we love in the meantime....

Is this worse than Lee Bowyer and Woodgate diliberately kicking the pap out of an innocent kid? No, that was deliberate, the consequences of Hughes' stupidity was worse, but was no more vile than these two morons - did they get given another chance... Yes. and this is hugesys chance.

Hughes 9 on the abck of my shirt next season - heres to proving yourself my son....

Have just read your post on your Granfather - i feel for you, i have lost friends through accidents, but every case is different... lets give the lad a break...

Edited by BigfinLatic

Guest sheridans_world
Hughes 9 on the abck of my shirt next season - heres to proving yourself my son....

Bet he wears 10 :tongue1:

The number '9' at Latics is cursed....i am sure of it

How the hell do you know this??? A normal guy runs someone over, paps himself and panics - it was wrong, he has served his sentence deemed correct by the powers that be - but Vile character??? what a load of rubbish...

So many people lives are ruined from people presuming they know something about thier character... lets give this lad a chance to rebuild his life, and help the club we love in the meantime....

Is this worse than Lee Bowyer and Woodgate diliberately kicking the pap out of an innocent kid? No, that was deliberate, the consequences of Hughes' stupidity was worse, but was no more vile than these two morons - did they get given another chance... Yes. and this is hugesys chance.

I agree, who the hell are we too judge?

Guest gillianfn

If I were to "pap myself and panic" I don't think it would last for 36 hours. I say vile character because that is my view on anyone who behaves in that way. I don't know it, I just feel it. Is that ok with you?

Quality signing IMO...hell be fairly fit as theres not to much else to do in prison...just be lacking the match practice. It is a gamble but potentially its one hell of a deal....arguably one of the best 5 strikers around in the lower leagues if he can get somewhere near what he was like a couple of years ago.

Delighted with the signing myself.

Guest sheridans_world
If I were to "pap myself and panic" I don't think it would last for 36 hours.

How can you know until you are in that situation?

Personally i would just pap myself. I would pap myself, panic, pap myself again and panic some more. I wouldnt be able to cope with it and many people in that situation havent been able to cope with it.

Guest gillianfn

Personally i would just pap myself. I would pap myself, panic, pap myself again and panic some more. I wouldnt be able to cope with it and many people in that situation havent been able to cope with it.

Because I have had a car accident where I crashed into a car with two severely disabled children on board. Completely my fault. There was plenty of time and room for me to drive away, but I didn't - I stayed and dealt with it.

See below for further information - not only did he kill and maim, but refused to cooperate with the police when they were making their enquiries. Was THAT in a panic too? rubbish, the more I read about him, the less I want him to play for us.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/west_midlands/3539290.stm

It's not like he had one over the limit and was on his way back from a club, from what I remember the bloke was pretty much trying to kill himself through destructive benders. Of course it is far better for people to top themselves in a considerate manner that avoids harm or upset to others, but it's hard to judge his state of mind in the aftermath of what happened.

Guest gillianfn
It's not like he had one over the limit and was on his way back from a club, from what I remember the bloke was pretty much trying to kill himself through destructive benders. Of course it is far better for people to top themselves in a considerate manner that avoids harm or upset to others, but it's hard to judge his state of mind in the aftermath of what happened.

You're right LL, it is - but we can look at how we would behave and we know ourselves well enough to know that's NOT what we would have done. If Hughes were about to sign for Blackpool or Notts F what would our reaction be?

Guest sheridans_world

Says on the above link he had two JD and Cokes and thats it...

Because I have had a car accident where I crashed into a car with two severely disabled children on board. Completely my fault. There was plenty of time and room for me to drive away, but I didn't - I stayed and dealt with it.

Sad to hear it. Hope everyone ended up ok.

But, everyone is different. Different people react in different ways.

For me, Hughes should have received a far longer sentence - and if that were the case, we wouldn't be having this discussion, because by the time he saw light of day again, he would be too old to play. My problem with him is the way he drove away and hid for nearly 2 days, knowing what he had done. What a vile character. I don't really want to see him in a Latics shirt, irrespective of how many goals he could score, I really don't. But that's just my opinion.

yes, thats the point - its not just a case of 'oops, I had too much to drink, could have happened to anyone' - he ran off and left them to it in the wreckage. Not a nice man and not someone who I could ever warm to, I'll still cheer him on if he ever pulls on the famous blue but he'll always be an utter w*nker in my eyes - its not as if I havent cheered for Latics players before who I dont like. I hope he doesnt get parole so soon but if he does then I hope he does a blinding job for us. He could be a real asset to us. I do think that many of his most ardent supporters on here wouldnt be that bothered piping up on his behalf if he was a crap player.

As for him having serious mental problems at the time - a) that is still no excuse and b)sounds like something the defence would cook up to try to reduce the sentence in an unwinnable case.

On the other hand - however terrible a thing he has done its not his fault that he only got 6 years, its not his fault he might be released after 3 and its not his fault someone wants to give him a chance. Arrg, a man could tie himself in knots weighing this up. Well, I think I have anyway.

Methinks this one will run and run.......

Talksport is pretty interesting for anyone who isnt listening.

Just had another Latics fan on, who basically stated he's a football fan and that's how Hughesy would be judged.

Someone should go on and mention that the surname Hughes isnt one that will be ringing round the ground anyway :grin:

Are we all forgetting something here??

He is serving his time whether it was long enough or not. Also are you forgetting what a top player Lee Hughes was???? PLus i'm sure he'll come for free and on tupance wages!

Give the guy a chance!! He could be a big find, how many clubs out there would have him now he's been brought to attention?? Quite a few me thinks.

The Talksport 'phone in is not a debate it is a public hanging with Jon Gaunt acting as judge; jury and executioner.

No impartiality from this guy. Basically, I think he wants Hughes castrated; tortured and gassed. He is making it "personal" by trying to get Coventry fans to call in to express their disgust since the victims were Sky Blues.

Also, a lad from Oldham has just been on and he was ridiculed by Gaunt - although he waited until he was off the air.

He's just stopped another guy from talking about a different aspect because he wants to keep the debate "on track". Basically, his view is right and he only wants to hear from people who agree with him.

Now he is accusing another Oldham fan of "condoning what Hughes did" by twisting his words.

The guy is a complete moron.

I think it did come out that he was getting pissed and high all the time, will try to dig the story out later, although I'll stand to be corrected. I'm certainly not making excuses for him, he did what he did and I wouldn't have a problem if he'd been hit a lot more harshly, although personally I would prefer it if he'd been made to carry on playing professional football whilst living in a shoebox and all the earnings going to the family/children of his victims. However angry things like that can make us, we weren't actually the victims in his case.

You're right LL, it is - but we can look at how we would behave and we know ourselves well enough to know that's NOT what we would have done. If Hughes were about to sign for Blackpool or Notts F what would our reaction be?

I'd be annoyed that we'd not snapped him up, potentially a fantastic signing for us, based purely on footballing issues.

I think it did come out that he was getting drunk and high all the time, will try to dig the story out later, although I'll stand to be corrected. I'm certainly not making excuses for him, he did what he did and I wouldn't have a problem if he'd been hit a lot more harshly, although personally I would prefer it if he'd been made to carry on playing professional football whilst living in a shoebox and all the earnings going to the family/children of his victims. However angry things like that can make us, we weren't actually the victims in his case.

I was the Oldham fan called Richard. Did the guy give me chance to speak? Not really.

62% say he can play at the moment via the poll on talksport have that k***head :)

Edited by R.O.A.M

Guest sheridans_world
I was the Oldham fan called Richard. Did the guy give me chance to speak? Not really.

62% say he can play at the moment via the poll on talksport have that k***head :)

Link to poll?

The Talksport 'phone in is not a debate it is a public hanging with Jon Gaunt acting as judge; jury and executioner.

No impartiality from this guy. Basically, I think he wants Hughes castrated; tortured and gassed. He is making it "personal" by trying to get Coventry fans to call in to express their disgust since the victims were Sky Blues.

Also, a lad from Oldham has just been on and he was ridiculed by Gaunt - although he waited until he was off the air.

He's just stopped another guy from talking about a different aspect because he wants to keep the debate "on track". Basically, his view is right and he only wants to hear from people who agree with him.

Now he is accusing another Oldham fan of "condoning what Hughes did" by twisting his words.

The guy is a complete moron.

What I dont like about the host is any Oldham fan who comes on and tries to compare it with Pennant, Bowyer, Woodgate in the like - is told by the host that it's not the same, blah, blah, blah.

But when the host is stuck for an arguement he asks Latics fans whether they would want a Paedophile, etc playing for their club. Blah, Blah Blah.

One rule for one, one rule for another because it's his show.

The poll on talksport has swung in favour of Lee Hughes now. 62% think he should be allowed to play. Big change since Latics fans started being given their voice on there. It's pretty obvious the bloke doesnt have a comeback when Latics fans mention Oldham is a football club and business purely.

I'll agree the guy is a moron. He's just like Terry Christian and the rest, which is precisely why I stopped listening too it.

Edited by Rocky_Latic

Link to poll?

The poll is being announced on air. Text 81089 VOTE yes or no. Apparently he is 'disgusted' by it. But of course he isn't biased!

Edited by R.O.A.M

well.................. that was a bizarre wake up to my day off!!!

i have been reading the numerous posts on this and am a little bit 'stuck' on the fence somewhat!

part of me thinks...and this is from a person that sees a continuous shocking amount of complete disregard to the traffic laws on a day to day basis... the fact that this guy did what he did is pretty much unforgivable, also due to the fact that there will be a family in the midlands that has had all their grief resurfaced because of all this....

sometimes i wish that the ground would swallow up these over paid footballers as they swan around doing there own thing ..

how many park in disabled bays...speed...drink drive.... even if they do have the squits or have a few hundred camera men following them....

on the other hand i think that we need to remember that this continuous quest for 20+ strikers to catapult us into the higher leagues is a bit like the lottery..... you try your hardest, but its very unlikely its going to happen.... we are needing other avenues to find them as money talks and we dont have it!!!!

now, the guy has been let out for whatever reason...... fair enough, he's done (some of) his time.... OK clean slate?????

but how does he see us??? clean slate thank you very much OAFC .. i wont let you down... OR cheers easy.. sick of prison, get myself back in the shop window and wow look what Manchester has to offer now....bars, bars and more bars...

like i say not too enamoured about the whole thing.....but the question is....how many more footballers, and i include ours in that ...have done things to a similar degree without the horrific consequences......or for that matter the fan that sits near you when you go to BP???

I'll try my best to give the guy a break............but it will take him a lot of goals to convince me!!!

I've got mixed feelings about this. He's paid his dues (a pathetically lenient sentence, but that's nothing to do with me or the club). How would everyone feel if they knew we had the chance to sign him and one of our competitors snapped him up and were promoted? This is probably the only way we can get a clinical striker without paying a fortune.

This is from 606-

Zorrro

It just goes to show what an unattractive club we are. We have to resort to signing people who haven't even been in the game for years!

I'm a pessimist regarding Oldham at the best of times, but I've just been tipped over the edge.

I'm off to put some brass on us going down next season.

We have some numpties supporting us!

If I were to "pap myself and panic" I don't think it would last for 36 hours. I say vile character because that is my view on anyone who behaves in that way. I don't know it, I just feel it. Is that ok with you?

That fine chuck - I didnt mean to be flippant, and i appreciate this causes strong felling for you. This lad obviously HAD problems, however, i dont think he would be signing for this club unless the powers that be are convinced they are over.

I just say give the lad a chance, 3 lives have been destroyed from what he has done, I'm sure he is sorry and wants to get on with things, so lets give him a shot... otherwise 4 lives could be gone...

He is a damn good footballer above all else.... his character is questionable, but what he does from this point forward will prove himself...