LEE HUGHES......

futchers briefs

Good signing?  

135 members have voted

1. 1. Is Hughes a good thing for Latics?

• Yes, 100%
    • Only time will tell, but probably YES
    • No, 100%
    • Only time will tell, but probably NO

You're right LL, it is - but we can look at how we would behave and we know ourselves well enough to know that's NOT what we would have done. If Hughes were about to sign for Blackpool or Notts F what would our reaction be?

Speaking for myself, I'd have shouted every bit of abuse I could think of - but that's what we do as football fans, the whole point of it is that were aren't fair and unbiased. Not that I'm suggesting it's morally equivalent, but how many times do you see players and managers go to clubs where they were previously hated and abused only to become accepted?

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got mixed feelings about this. He's paid his dues (a pathetically lenient sentence, but that's nothing to do with me or the club). How would everyone feel if they knew we had the chance to sign him and one of our competitors snapped him up and were promoted? This is probably the only way we can get a clinical striker without paying a fortune.

This is from 606-

We have some numpties supporting us!

That guy is a pratt. being a 606 regular he is one of the reasons i stopped posting on there.... he knows nothing about the club... the last arguement i had was him claiming Chris Killen should never have been released, and that Porter had spoiled our club by making him leave - Idiot...

Sorry the quote did not show up - the idot is Zorro not you Jorvik!

Edited by BigfinLatic

If I were to "pap myself and panic" I don't think it would last for 36 hours. I say vile character because that is my view on anyone who behaves in that way. I don't know it, I just feel it. Is that ok with you?

Gillian v fair comment. I guess as passionate football fans, we sometimes don't think about 'deeper' personal feelings (I know i do!) and you're reasons for not wanting to sign him put football into a bit of perspective! :surrender:

Guest sheridans_world
I've got mixed feelings about this. He's paid his dues (a pathetically lenient sentence, but that's nothing to do with me or the club). How would everyone feel if they knew we had the chance to sign him and one of our competitors snapped him up and were promoted? This is probably the only way we can get a clinical striker without paying a fortune.

This is from 606-

We have some numpties supporting us!

There are alot of fake members on 606. I would take most things you read on there with a pinch of salt.

Very, very touchy subject but we all know our judicial system is not the worlds best with unfair sentences meeted out each day with major differences in burglars, car thiefs, speeding motorists, murderers etc BUT lets not forget, Lee Hughes did not set his sentence period our judges did so you can't slte the lad for not being sent away for longer.

Yes, he is a first class numpty, a coward etc but so are thousands of other wrong doers whose misdemeanours don't make the press/radio/telly etc. He's guilty of a horrendous act BUT he has served his time. We have poiticians ram down our throats every day how we must encourage jailbirds back into the community and give them a new start whether they are joiners, taxi drivers, shelf stackers OR FOOTBALLERS.

We are Oldham Athletic looking to strengthen our small squad and if Shez thinks the footballer Lee Hughes will do that then welcome aboard Lee. If an ex jailbird was to gain employment at your workplace would you resign in disgust or keep your job and keep your anger inside? Lee Hughes wants to get back to work, he's not Fred West or Doctor Shipman for goodness sake.

I know it is impossible for everybody to share the same opinion but IMHO i can't condone his previous actions but for footballs sake, surely he is worth a chance

Very, very touchy subject but we all know our judicial system is not the worlds best with unfair sentences meeted out each day with major differences in burglars, car thiefs, speeding motorists, murderers etc BUT lets not forget, Lee Hughes did not set his sentence period our judges did so you can't slte the lad for not being sent away for longer.

Yes, he is a first class numpty, a coward etc but so are thousands of other wrong doers whose misdemeanours don't make the press/radio/telly etc. He's guilty of a horrendous act BUT he has served his time. We have poiticians ram down our throats every day how we must encourage jailbirds back into the community and give them a new start whether they are joiners, taxi drivers, shelf stackers OR FOOTBALLERS.

We are Oldham Athletic looking to strengthen our small squad and if Shez thinks the footballer Lee Hughes will do that then welcome aboard Lee. If an ex jailbird was to gain employment at your workplace would you resign in disgust or keep your job and keep your anger inside? Lee Hughes wants to get back to work, he's not Fred West or Doctor Shipman for goodness sake.

I know it is impossible for everybody to share the same opinion but IMHO i can't condone his previous actions but for footballs sake, surely he is worth a chance

Very well put mate.

Guest sheridans_world
I think he/she is genuine. I've seen them on there for a while (doesn't mean they aren't, I know!)

I used to post regular on 606. Reason i stopped was because of non-sensicle people like that.

They may say they are OAFC fans. Just like the moaners at BP say they are OAFC fans. Fact is they have nothing better to do than moan.

The Talksport 'phone in is not a debate it is a public hanging with Jon Gaunt acting as judge; jury and executioner.

No impartiality from this guy. Basically, I think he wants Hughes castrated; tortured and gassed. He is making it "personal" by trying to get Coventry fans to call in to express their disgust since the victims were Sky Blues.

Also, a lad from Oldham has just been on and he was ridiculed by Gaunt - although he waited until he was off the air.

He's just stopped another guy from talking about a different aspect because he wants to keep the debate "on track". Basically, his view is right and he only wants to hear from people who agree with him.

Now he is accusing another Oldham fan of "condoning what Hughes did" by twisting his words.

The guy is a complete moron.

It was me who was on...and he tried to twist my words into accepting peadophiles playing for latics!! :rant.sml::angry::angry: WHAT A MORON!!!!!

I used to post regular on 606. Reason i stopped was because of non-sensicle people like that.

They may say they are OAFC fans. Just like the moaners at BP say they are OAFC fans. Fact is they have nothing better to do than moan.

God I've got to turn it off. The guy is unbelievable!!!! Glorified, back page, what back pages is he going to be on??? The Chron that's it. The radio is being turned off I can't believe how bad this presenter is.

God I've got to turn it off. The guy is unbelievable!!!! Glorified, back page, what back pages is he going to be on??? The Chron that's it. The radio is being turned off I can't believe how bad this presenter is.

he's shocking isn't he????

and if not wrong he's a coventry fan!! how biased is that? seems to the bit i've listened too, anyone from oldham isn't getting a look in.... how the flip is he on a same level as gary glitter????

and if not wrong he's a coventry fan!! how biased is that? seems to the bit i've listened too, anyone from oldham isn't getting a look in.... how the flip is he on a same level as gary glitter????

Yes he is a Cov fan which makes it worse.

I'm not putting the station on again ever. The way he puts it across is like he will be in every paper every weekend whereas in reality we get 2/3 sentences maybe a paragraph in the Sunday Papers.

I've just e-mailed them telling them of my disgust of the prat presenting it. After i was trying to talk live from a "footballing" point of view, this prat completely turned the topic around to a public flogging of Hughes and Oldham!!

I recommended that this presenter goes and lies down in a dark room after his shift, and until which time, the majority of football fans will be turning him off!! :rant.sml::rant.sml::angry::angry::angry:

It is certainly silly having a Coventry fan host this Lee Hughes debate. You couldnt get more bias than Coventry fans on this subject. As he's said numerous times this morning. It affected the whole town of Coventry, not just fans of Coventry City.

Unbelievably bias, which is why he's not taking anyone's opinion that differs from his.

He's read the "Oldham should hang their heads in shame" text out about a dozen times since I turned on Talksport this morning. On the last one, he ended it with. "I think. I think I agree." :lol:

Well the stuff as really hit the fans since we posted about this late last night !

So Hughes, is evil, the man should be imprisoned till he is too hold to run with a ball ? <_< Thats some peoples views but not everyones.

Tony Adams spent time inside and later became an MBE is it right that he is still in the game ? If you read his book, Adams says he was to DRUNK to walk away from his accident were he drove into a house wall.

Pennant pleaded guilty to drunk-driving and driving whilst disqualified, and he was sentenced to ninety days in prison on 1 March.

This lad wrapped his car around a lamp-post and in the same way as ADAMS was

LUCKY

Neither KILLED anyone but could have very easy done so. I say LUCKY in the context that Hughes was unlucky to hit another car and the other persons involved were unlucky to be driving towards Hughes at the time.

Hughes made a mistake, It seems that he was suffering from some personal mental problems around the time of the accident, the same problems that currently affect other players were they feel the need to take drugs and drink. While under the Influence of either drink or drugs, someone isn't in control of their actions !!! He got in the car when he was asked not to, and drove a car when he knew he should't. thats the mistake that as been referenced this week as a social problem when leicestershire police stated that drink-driving has increased over the country especially between 18-25 year olds.

In prison Hughes hopefully would have received counselling and drug rehab, the lad needs another chance. I for one would rather have him working for a living than living off the state.

Even better I have asked a friend to ring the show who works in Law

Lee Hughes is the same sort of man as Gary Glitter ... Talk about defamation of character :shock:

Lee Hughes was a drunk who made a mistake on the day....

He didn't stalk and seek out young child and ruin their lives !!!!

I think it's KEY not to focus on what this looser has to say. He's taken an individual case and generalised it. Maximised the shock value and taken a moral high ground simply to create a radio show... and not a particually good one either.

We need to now foucs on facts and the situation at hand and not on what this sensationalist-monkey-lover has to say.

I've e-mailed the station to complain, the guy is an absolute balloon.

How do cretins like this get radio shows.

Ditto! But i guess that's what they're after They're just not there every saturday when all the fans are agressively goading latics fans over hughes, through the season , due to comments by that prat stirring up a hornets nest!!