Oscar Pistorius

I'm a sick bastard and am usually the first to crack the funnies when events happen but I have had my "Won't someone think of the children/ Daily Mail mock outrage" gland activated by some of the coverage of this event.

"He has a history of a temper...." type stuff has got up my nose, he may well have snapped and shot his missus and the courts will decide that but I would expect any highly competitive person to have a "history of temper" or short fuse, surely that is what separates the successful winning athletes from the nice guy losers?

I was annoyed with him when he complained about the Brazilian's blades in their paralympic final, he may have had a point about the lad being inches taller in that race than whenever he had raced him before but straight after the race wasn't the time to raise it. Again being understanding I too would have been pissed off if that had been me but it allowed a lot of people to go "ooh, he's not very nice". So when this happens (and without meaning to crack the funny) it does leave him without a leg to stand on in many people's eyes and guilty immediately.

Whatever happens now is an awful shame, there is a person dead and another will forever be tarnished and most likely behind bars, I thoroughly enjoyed the 2012 Paralympics and am looking forward to the 2016 ones, I hope that whatever shadow is cast from this event isn't long enough to last until then.

It actually saddened me a little bit that this happened not just for the fact that a person has lost their life to gun crime. Pistrorius overcame so much as a person and inspired a generation of disabled people and a lot who aren't disabled and has lost that reputation with 1 rash, crazy decision.

He's pleaded not guilty to murder but as you say, it was overkill which usually suggests that the victim is personal. I'm sure it was deliberate but I'm also sure he'll try to escape prison like OJ Simpson did.

Like Beag, I'm hesitant to cast an opinion on his character without knowing the circumstances and the judicial decision. I just wonder how celebrity and media hype persuades the jury. Also, will his race have any bearing on the trial, subliminal or not, in a country that has obviously had such a history with skin colour?

It actually saddened me a little bit that this happened not just for the fact that a person has lost their life to gun crime. Pistrorius overcame so much as a person and inspired a generation of disabled people and a lot who aren't disabled and has lost that reputation with 1 rash, crazy decision.

Hang on a second, we've no idea whether it's rash or not. Let's wait and see what comes out in the wash, but if he has stuck four bullets in her that's far from suggesting it was heat of the moment.

Hang on a second, we've no idea whether it's rash or not. Let's wait and see what comes out in the wash, but if he has stuck four bullets in her that's far from suggesting it was heat of the moment.

I said later that I thought it was pre-meditated.

"it was overkill which usually suggests that the victim is personal. I'm sure it was deliberate"

When I say rash I mean stupid, not spontaneous. It was far from that, in my opinion, although his lawyers will testify against that.

It's much easier if we don't put people on pedestals to begin with. Beckham? Good trainer, does a good PR job as the quiet lad, family man. Still swears like a trooper, isn't actually teetotal despite claims and likes shagging filthy Dutch birds who are down for anything (and Michael Owen's sister) behind the wife's back. Why do we imagine that sports people are going to be super - moral? They are far more likely to be evil psychopaths than normal folk, given what they sacrifice to be winners.