The Happy Mondays

perfectOzblue

Playing Brisbane in a few weeks with the original line-up (Bez et al), according to the posters. Anyone seen them recently? Any cop? My heart says save the cash (not a huge fan) but it's tough seeing okay live music where I live in Oz. Also seeing the Stone Roses next week in Brissie. Can I expect a shambling mess or a decent night?

I saw the Mondays a few years ago with the Stereo MCs and The Farm, the Mondays were good but I think it was only Shaun & Bez from the original line up. Shaun has really cleaned his act up recently and needs the cash so I think they will be good.

The Roses are sheer quality, saw them on the Saturday night at Heaton Park, really polished performance, I've seen clips of them elsewhere and they have all been up there. Ian needs the cash due to a divorce and all of them seem to be enjoying being back so I think you will be in for a good few nights.

Saw the Mondays about 1998 at the Arena and it was a bit poor. But yeah, they're probably much better now.

Enjoyed the Roses at Heaton Park tremendously. But I think that was mainly due to the crowd's reaction. People who'd never seen them and gave up hope of ever doing so. There was a lot of love in that crowd, just breathing in the atmosphere still gives me goosebumps thinking about it. Not sure how that would transfer to somewhere the other side of the world but there are a lot of ex-pats in Oz so it'll be worth a trip.

Isn't there a really great festival in Queensland called Splendour In The Grass or something? Their past lineups have always been decent considering bands tend to have made it quite big before they can afford to tour down under.

I first saw the Mondays at the Free Trade Hall with Northside (possibly 1989?) in support. Now that was a mess - Shaun taking spliffs and god knows what else from the front rows (to be fair there wasn't that many people there) and Bez just kept wandering about, couldn't possibly be that bad now.

I think Paul Ryder is back with the setup now.

EDIT: for balance, when I saw them at the Hacienda they were much better, now I'm sure that was in 1989...