parking fine advice

Gaz_Oafc

Can anybody help re. Parking fines from a private company?

Basic Jist of the story is, I work for Penine Acute and they have recently sold the parking rights to APCOA. I pay £20+ per month for a parking permit to park at work (nmgh), however they have just changed all the car parks around so its designated staff/patient parking areas. Problem is, the staff areas are that small that most staff members are having to park on patient areas. We're now all getting £60 tickets even though we're all displaying valid permits. Is there any way of getting out of this?

Cheers.

Leeslovers the man for this but if it's not a public authority owned car park they can't enforce any fine so tell them to get :censored:ed no matter how vigourously they chase it.

That's he just I've got off his past posts anyway....

That's the basics of it. They could technically take you to the small claims court for a few quid per day that they can prove you were there - highly unlikely - and in any case even if they could I doubt they are going to enjoy being in the papers repossessing homes from nurses who bought a permit. The amounts on the tickets they are giving out have no basis in law.

That's the basics of it. They could technically take you to the small claims court for a few quid per day that they can prove you were there - highly unlikely - and in any case even if they could I doubt they are going to enjoy being in the papers repossessing homes from nurses who bought a permit. The amounts on the tickets they are giving out have no basis in law.

What type of proof? Are photographs with verifiable time stamps enough?

What type of proof? Are photographs with verifiable time stamps enough?

Up to the court, but I doubt it. Even with proper, lovely parking tickets issued by true Knights of the Road the balance of doubt is very much towards the motorist now and some bloke walking round your hospital or Lidl car park couldn't put a notch on what one of the pros would rustle up

Cheers for the info guys. So is it a case of just ignoring the ticket, or do I ring up and tell them to sling it? And if I do get a debt collection letter, ignore that too?

Wouldn't mind if I didnt pay anything, but if the trust is taking 20odd quid a month directly out of my wage flr something their not providing then I begrudge paying a fine.

Cheers for the info guys. So is it a case of just ignoring the ticket, or do I ring up and tell them to sling it? And if I do get a debt collection letter, ignore that too?

Wouldn't mind if I didnt pay anything, but if the trust is taking 20odd quid a month directly out of my wage flr something their not providing then I begrudge paying a fine.

I'd ignore it, you will only encourage them to think they have you rattled if you reply. The key thing is that if they send you a letter it won't be a Warrant of Execution (a bailiff letter), just something made up to look as much like one as possible.

To the OP can I ask which ward you work on, or which bit of the hospital you work at, as I only park on the street and walk whenever I go.

Plus have you tried parking on the postgrad car park? It's often the best one for finding a space.

I work in a&e, had my car broken into on delaunays road so I dont fancy parking there anymore. The barrierd off section of the postgrad (at the front) is now 'priority permit' holders only (consultants) and the big bit behind post grad is now a patient's only car park. Staff get the small section between the clinical psychology buildings that hold about 10 cars, and a few other spots dotted around the grounds.

The issue is (particularly with a&e staff) is that if you dont manage to park on the clinical psychology bit or risk a fine and park on post grad, then you've got a long walk right round the back of the hospital at 9pm in the dark, or at 7am when hardly anybody is around. Its dangerous, especially with all the car jackings over the last couple ofyears.

I work in a&e, had my car broken into on delaunays road so I dont fancy parking there anymore. The barrierd off section of the postgrad (at the front) is now 'priority permit' holders only (consultants) and the big bit behind post grad is now a patient's only car park. Staff get the small section between the clinical psychology buildings that hold about 10 cars, and a few other spots dotted around the grounds.

The issue is (particularly with a&e staff) is that if you dont manage to park on the clinical psychology bit or risk a fine and park on post grad, then you've got a long walk right round the back of the hospital at 9pm in the dark, or at 7am when hardly anybody is around. Its dangerous, especially with all the car jackings over the last couple ofyears.

When I said street I didn't mean Delaunays road, I usually park on one of the streets that run parallel with it (or one of the streets off them). Cut through a ginnel and it's a lot closer to A&E than the far side of the hospital. I can understand you being wary of parking on there after dark and with your history though.

If their has been car jackings on trust grounds then the position of both them and their proxy agent is very suspect and may not stand up to a court case. But like LL and others have said no company wants to be seen sending bailiffs round etc. to get money off nurses for parking at their hospital.

• 2 months later...

The letter just has a total amount due of 138.00 im guessing its £60 parking ticket, plus fines from the parking company for non-payment within a specified time limit and a recovery and it says there it an administration fee from the debt collection company (none of which is broken down on the letter, although I could probably work it out individually if I dig out the previous letter)

Edited by Gaz_Oafc

The letter just has a total amount due of 138.00 im guessing its £60 parking ticket, plus fines from the parking company for non-payment within a specified time limit and a recovery and it says there it an administration fee from the debt collection company (none of which is broken down on the letter, although I could probably work it out individually if I dig out the previous letter)

My feeling (it's no more than a feeling) is that you don't owe the original parking ticket, and therefore any subsequent admin charge etc. I'd be tempted to ring them up and state this or write to them telling them in no uncertain terms to get :censored:ed, but Leeslover might have something different to say. The letter seems like exactly the type of fiction Leeslover described earlier in the thread.

• 3 weeks later...

My feeling (it's no more than a feeling) is that you don't owe the original parking ticket, and therefore any subsequent admin charge etc. I'd be tempted to ring them up and state this or write to them telling them in no uncertain terms to get :censored:ed, but Leeslover might have something different to say. The letter seems like exactly the type of fiction Leeslover described earlier in the thread.

Sorry, have had laptop/wine, password and even, "doing some work," issues. My dad has for once taken my advice and ignored Manchester Airport (crime of stopping on a deserted private road for a couple of seconds to get his bearings. They just sent him one basically asking for anything he would give. Writing to them will give them hope, it's telling a Mormon you sort of believe in a God