Colds - medical advice and bet settling

Medical Advice  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Can you catch a cold from being cold?

• Yes
    • No
  2. 2. Can you prevent colds by being mentally and physically tough?

• Yes
    • No

Placebos of any form will often help, as long as you believe they will work and are not aware they are placebos. Therefore the blind belief that mental toughness will stop you from getting a cold, or that being cold will not result in you getting a cold... could potentially work.

• 2 weeks later...

Shivers, aches, pains, sneezes, cough, runny nose. Feel like :censored:.

As I see a doctor about once every three years I thought I'd use up a turn.

"No appointments until 12th April".

Thanks doc.

Try ringing them up as soon as they open tomorrow, many GPs leave some appointments to be taken up on the day.

...just go round and sit there. They can't refuse treatment. Right doc?

Not 100% sure, they would certainly be unlikely to refuse to see a patient in their surgery. Doubly so if someone else doesnt turn up or is late. GPs probably can refuse to see a patient though, some take patients off their lists as well. It might take a while too, so depending on sick leave etc you can end up wasting a lot of your day and loosing money.

Not 100% sure, they would certainly be unlikely to refuse to see a patient in their surgery. Doubly so if someone else doesnt turn up or is late. GPs probably can refuse to see a patient though, some take patients off their lists as well. It might take a while too, so depending on sick leave etc you can end up wasting a lot of your day and loosing money.

Losing money for going sick! Getting turned away from the doctors when you're sick! Welcome to ConDem Britain!

...speaking of which, if you're an immigrant, I warn you sincerely not to break your leg. You'd be better off breaking your leg in America. That's what a :censored:hole this country has become thanks to the evil Tories and Lib Dems.

This is :censored:ing mental even by your exacting standards.

Thank you.

Doctors had to take it in turns to get out of bed and come and see you in the night if you were sick until Labour came in.

You could make an appointment for 2 or 3 days hence rather than hanging on your mobile in a massive queue on the way into work not sure if you would be turning around and going back for a 9 o'clock or told to come in at half 12, regardless of whether you work miles away.

Doctors covered weekends.

You could sign up to a doctor more than a stone's throw from your home address.

The only thing that has got better is doctors salaries.

Losing money for going sick! Getting turned away from the doctors when you're sick! Welcome to ConDem Britain!

...speaking of which, if you're an immigrant, I warn you sincerely not to break your leg. You'd be better off breaking your leg in America. That's what a :censored:hole this country has become thanks to the evil Tories and Lib Dems.

I'll feed the troll:

1.) GPs have been able to refuse to see patients for ages and been able to take patients off their lists for ages too. When I say ages I'm talking Thatcher/Major governments at least.

2.) Lots of people don't get paid if they are off sick

3.) The "new" changes announced today are not that new; the NHS has been supposed to refuse treatment or charge for it for those from certain countries for ages. My Dad got chased up about his patients, and he has been retired for 5 years. The problem was most of my Dad's patients were exempt due to their illnesses. The Con Dem coalition is just cracking down on something that Labour let slip under the carpet. It could save the NHS (and therefore the taxpayer) up to £200 million pa.

I'll feed the troll:

1.) GPs have been able to refuse to see patients for ages and been able to take patients off their lists for ages too. When I say ages I'm talking Thatcher/Major governments at least.

2.) Lots of people don't get paid if they are off sick

3.) The "new" changes announced today are not that new; the NHS has been supposed to refuse treatment or charge for it for those from certain countries for ages. My Dad got chased up about his patients, and he has been retired for 5 years. The problem was most of my Dad's patients were exempt due to their illnesses. The Con Dem coalition is just cracking down on something that Labour let slip under the carpet. It could save the NHS (and therefore the taxpayer) up to £200 million pa.

Bollocks. That's what they say. It ain't necessarily true. Typical Tories. It'll never be measured. As you know full well as a scientist, if it ain't measured, it ain't done.

Thank you.

Doctors had to take it in turns to get out of bed and come and see you in the night if you were sick until Labour came in.

You could make an appointment for 2 or 3 days hence rather than hanging on your mobile in a massive queue on the way into work not sure if you would be turning around and going back for a 9 o'clock or told to come in at half 12, regardless of whether you work miles away.

Doctors covered weekends.

You could sign up to a doctor more than a stone's throw from your home address.

The only thing that has got better is doctors salaries.

More bollocks. Tories have made the task of getting to see your GP considerably worse by abolishing time targets. (The doc will back me up on that.) Plus your GP might these days be busy making commissioning decisions that they are singularly not qualified to make, thanks to La-la Lansley.

Anyway you can all :censored: off.

Plus your GP might these days be busy making commissioning decisions that they are singularly not qualified to make, thanks to La-la Lansley.

I agree with this bit (albeit I guess GPs will subcontract out)

More bollocks. Tories have made the task of getting to see your GP considerably worse by abolishing time targets. (The doc will back me up on that.)

Bet you not many will back you up that it's easy to see your GP. Used to be that you would go into work, call up, make an appointment for the next day or two, arrange it with your boss and go. If they had one that evening that you could make, lovely. Not possible now.

[/size]

I agree with this bit (albeit I guess GPs will subcontract out)

Bet you not many will back you up that it's easy to see your GP. Used to be that you would go into work, call up, make an appointment for the next day or two, arrange it with your boss and go. If they had one that evening that you could make, lovely. Not possible now.

Was targeted under Labour. Not now. Targets bad, unmeasureable and therefore unaccountable good.

Was targeted under Labour. Not now. Targets bad, unmeasureable and therefore unaccountable good.

I don't need some :censored: in Whitehall doing fudged stats to tell me if I can get to see my :censored:ing doctor or not. I know better than he does, and I could tell him without needing him and his mates to suck billions out of patient treatment.

I don't need some :censored: in Whitehall doing fudged stats to tell me if I can get to see my :censored:ing doctor or not. I know better than he does, and I could tell him without needing him and his mates to suck billions out of patient treatment.

The stats were compiled at NHS trust level, by practice, and not in Whitehall at national level, but never mind. You keep them bogeymen at the very front of your thoughts and everything will be fine.

The stats were compiled at NHS trust level, by practice, and not in Whitehall at national level, but never mind. You keep them bogeymen at the very front of your thoughts and everything will be fine.

Sigh. Whatever you target and measure, the problem is that the GPs were given a fat pay rise in return for doing far less work. Only way around that would be to recruit lots more doctors on the massively increased salaries, or make it far more difficult to get an appointment. I understand that Gordy and Ed did a bit of both. Still, it's all for the Workers, eh?

Sigh. Whatever you target and measure, the problem is that the GPs were given a fat pay rise in return for doing far less work. Only way around that would be to recruit lots more doctors on the massively increased salaries, or make it far more difficult to get an appointment. I understand that Gordy and Ed did a bit of both. Still, it's all for the Workers, eh?

One of the things I actually :censored:ing hate is your use of "Gordy" when no one ever calls him that - even his fiercest critics. It's like you hate him but love him in a gay way.

Anyway, GPs are under absolutely no obligation to get off the pot thanks only to the Tories and Lib Dems.

It could save the NHS (and therefore the taxpayer) up to £200 million pa.

This figure is classic scaremongering. The £200 million pa figure comes from a CCI insurance report in 2003 and is not based on Government-approved data. (For some reason that doesn't stop the racist Tories and Lib Dems from using it as a basis for policy.) The actual figure for money charged by the NHS to foreign nationals, as calculated by the DOH, is £66 million, of which about a third remains unpaid. There's a difference.

How many nurses etc. does £20 million get you? How many jobs will be saved etc? How much expensive cancer treatment does it buy?

£20 million is a lot of money, does that report give any indication of whether it includes the extra staff member presumably required to chase it up per organisation?

How many nurses etc. does £20 million get you? How many jobs will be saved etc? How much expensive cancer treatment does it buy?

£20 million is a lot of money, does that report give any indication of whether it includes the extra staff member presumably required to chase it up per organisation?

£20 million is owed but has not been collected. The issue is collection, not treatment. The treatment will still be given, but, as you imply, nothing is necessarily being done about collection, so what is the new policy?

£20 million is also a neat one tenth of the sum the Tories claim, on the basis of a decade-old and not-very-reliable report, is the cost to the NHS of treating foreigners.

I never said £20 million wasn't important. All I said is that £20 million is not £200 million, a figure you happily swallowed without even thinking about it yesterday.