What to do with your money!

It's a bit of a vague question.

Pay down credit cards, loans, mortgages unless rate is stupidly cheap.

Stick £25 a month in a First Direct Regular Saver at 6% and at the end of 12 months you'll have enough for a season ticket in 2014/15.

Pension. Maximise tax relief and any employer contributions.

Savings account, although rates are tosh. Cheshire Building Society ISA perhaps.

Stocks and shares ISA with non-European emphasis.

Edited by opinions4u

Where is the best place to put one's hard earned?

We've heard all the: save for your future etc but where do we really invest?

Genuine question:

It's not a savers market. As O4U has said it's probably more effective in the long run to pay off debt/mortgage at the moment but that depends on what your aim is.

It's worth looking at Money Saving Expert. Despite the mainly rubbish rates, an ISA is good due to tax relief and the amount you can save in it can go up each year.

Invest in the pie market. Build up stocks during the summer then secretly flog them at the back of the stands when Latics sell out. If people want them warm they can always sit on them (Colin Crompton - Wheeltappers and Shunters)

That should earn you an honest crust.

It's a bit of a vague question.

Pay down credit cards, loans, mortgages unless rate is stupidly cheap.

Stick £25 a month in a First Direct Regular Saver at 6% and at the end of 12 months you'll have enough for a season ticket in 2014/15.----That's a decent rate, I'll be having some of that.

Pension. Maximise tax relief and any employer contributions.

Savings account, although rates are tosh. Cheshire Building Society ISA perhaps.

Stocks and shares ISA with non-European emphasis.----I've got one of those, changed from low- medium risk a few years ago because, as you probably know the market wasn't doing too well so I moved to medium- high and a small % on high risk.

Thanks O4U.

It's not a savers market. As O4U has said it's probably more effective in the long run to pay off debt/mortgage at the moment but that depends on what your aim is.

It's worth looking at Money Saving Expert. Despite the mainly rubbish rates, an ISA is good due to tax relief and the amount you can save in it can go up each year.

Only got a few months left on a loan, paying more off the mortgage and the 6% isa that O4U mentioned looks the best route. Thanks.

Pay off your mortgage and loans, make sure you've got a decent pension and if you're fortunate enough to have anything left after that, spend it.

Work's pension is pretty pump tbh, it's better than nothing though. Must admit though I'm bone idle when it comes to switching and shifting to better deals.

• 2 weeks later...

£542 to get three of us to Stockholm in two weeks!

I think my trip is probably better value at 4.5p per mile! Bloody hell, that actually makes it seem cheap.

I'll be very jealous though - got to wait until June before the Bruce stalking starts at Wembley.

Edited by bossrocks