• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's all very well and good throwing x amount of bans at Suarez and calling him all names under the sun, but you've got to ask yourself what possessed him to do it to start with? It seems to be natural in the walk of life to call someone because of a moments madness, it's like trying to understand those who self-harm, why? Why did George Best drink himself to death, why is Gazza on the same path? Why did Roy Keane do what he did to Haarland? Why did Cantona Kung fu kick the Palace fan? How has Pistorius found himself in the position that he is?

I really can't see Liverpool selling him in the transfer window: he's one of the best centre forwards in the world for a start and selling him on the back of what has happened at the weekend I'd say that they wouldn't receive what they'd expect. His disciplinary record has been somewhat shocking when you sit and look at the bad publicity that he's brought on LFC, dealt with very poorly in some cases by LFC but still reverts back to the same denominator. I don't know what the solution is but I'd stick a £ on that it won't be the last moment of madness that he has in his playing career.

Guest Scratch2000uk

Maybe there is.

I don't really give a flying one though.

Ban him. If he chooses to see a shrink, that's fine too.

I couldn't give a toss if they throw him to the wolves, I just thought that the act of biting, is indeed an odd way of venting frustration, anger or whatever he's doing it for. :huh:

I think he has been harshly treated here. I'm in the minority, but sod it.

Ben Thatcher on Pedro Mendes - 8 games.

Racism - 8 games

Keane - 3 games

Punishment should fit the crime. He has not got to end someones career or worse.

I think he has been harshly treated here. I'm in the minority, but sod it.

Ben Thatcher on Pedro Mendes - 8 games.

Racism - 8 games

Keane - 3 games

Punishment should fit the crime. He has not got to end someones career or worse.

I think the ban is fair, particularly in light of his track record. Having said that, I think you're right to suggest that it's disproportionate to other sanctions dished out in the past.

1.) The FA needs to be consistent, Defoe didn't get banned for his bite. Keane got a total of 6 games (3 for the original red card and 3 for admitting he deliberately went to "do him" in his autobiography) for his tackle on Haaland. Suarez got 8 games for racism (when it was his word against Evra's) but Terry got 4 with video evidence. Thatcher got 8 games for knocking out Mendes. Whilst his previous record doesn't stand him in good stead the severity of the crime IMHO doesn't match the severity of the punishment.

2.) Liverpool's season could be over at the weekend. Aside from the derby their remaining games will likely mean little to either side after this weekend. It is in effect is 8 games especially as they are likely to appeal.

3.) Think any appeal is likely to mean a reduced ban as any appeal will focus on the reasoning for the length of ban. It seems like the FA have made it up as they went along.

Biting someone else is a very risky thing and I'm sure I've heard of people contracting HIV that way (would need to draw blood but it happens). Even without blood borne viruses biting is a significant infection risk, especially with dirty skin and a grassy surface. I'd expect Ivanovic and Suarez to have been put on prophylactic anti-biotics, especially if the bite drew blood.

Not that it makes it any better but it's as near to impossible as you can get to transmit HIV by biting - spent the whole first term of one module on HIV :P

I think he is right - not sure about a "lack of class". I can't think of many managers who just don't stick up for their players if tehy believe they are wronged.

Perhaps they should have asked the Dutch FA to handle it. That 7 match ban will almost certainly have been the baseline from where the independent panel started.

They've not been wronged.

I think 6 games would have been fair.

When defoe did his bite he got 0 games. The ref saw it, but the ref saw the Ben Thatcher incident too (he received a yellow card). A precent was set there that in extreme cases the FA could wave the "if the ref sees it" rule.

I would say that if someone has done something worthy of a 10 game ban, they could have well stepped in an overrode the Defoe incident? But they didn't - why?

Personally I think he has been harshly treated. I know I'm in the minority - but I agree with Rodgers.

Edited by pukka

Couldn't have happened to a nicer player or team. I've hated them since I worked in Bootle in the 80's..........their so-called humour towards the one Everton, one Utd. fan and the sole Latics fan (me) was vicious and arrogant. They still view themselves as the Rolls-Royce team of English football and think that every other team is against them. Read some of the rubbish on the Beeb.........it's all about them being victimised........not one of their fans acknowledges the disgraceful disciplinary record of Suarez. And one prat even said that the commitee who gave the ban was made of Man. Utd. directors.

I really hope the American owners tell Rodgers to sell him as they won't want the bad publicity.......mind you, I think he wants out.

Edited by mikejh45

• The problem for me is that FA do whatever they want, when its Suarez he gets more days than other players, why is that? Tottenhamplayer bites Hammers defender 0 days, and now Suarez get 10?

Because the ref saw it and booked him and I don't think Defoe has a rap sheet that reaches 10% of what Suarez has.

Can anyone tell me why the worst cheat in the Premiership bar none deserves this outburst of sympathy?

Even at 15, he was a wrong 'un because he punched a referee and his behaviour hasn't improved. Rodgers said at today's press conference that Suarez has never let him down.......WHAT? Give me a break......Rodgers must have been drinking too many dry sherries!!! It's Liverpool , their fans, Rodgers and Suarez all bleating on about victimisation......no acknowledgement that Suarez was out of order.

Funniest story around at the moment watching their fans sobbing into a pan of Scouse.

Can't wait to see what t-shirts the players will wear at the next match.