George's day - are people genuinely bothered?

pukka

Do people genuinely care about st georges day? Until last week when work mentioned it, I would never have known when it was.

I find all these saints days staange, I'm baffled as to what makes some people find them important.

If it makes people happy and gives them a sense of bellonging then fair enough. I just can't buy into it. I'm not really patriotic, it's all the same to me.

I just wish I'd stop getting facebook posts saying "IF YOU ARE OFFENDED BY THIS FLAG ETC" - No one is.

Edited by pukka

Guest Scratch2000uk

I don't think foreigners are offended by the flag,

It's more likely to be the cross and it's association with Christ that may cause a stir, especially in Saudi Arabia.

It's more likely to be the cross and it's association with Christ that may cause a stir, especially in Saudi Arabia.

I don't think they're offended by the flag, but it still has massive, renewable racist connotations. Some people would like to keep it that way. When they celebrate St George's day, what they're really saying is, "This is our culture and, as a blow-in, you can't have it or be of it, no matter how many generations you and yours have been here."

I can't be seen dead with people like that, so no St George's day celebrations for me.

Guest Scratch2000uk

I don't think they're offended by the flag, but it still has massive, renewable racist connotations. Some people would like to keep it that way. When they celebrate St George's day, what they're really saying is, "This is our culture and, as a blow-in, you can't have it or be of it, no matter how many generations you and yours have been here."

I can't be seen dead with people like that, so no St George's day celebrations for me.

Can't or won't? :England::Scotland::Northern_Ireland::Wales:

They're not at all, it's just some ridiculous tabloid bull:censored:.

I think 24hours hit the nail on the head with why they might feel offended: the you are not welcome connotations from far-right like the EDL.

The Turks only moved into what is now Turkey relatively recently in historical terms, in the latter centuries of Byzantine rule.

True. It would be 300 years later that the Prophet Muhammed came into the picture and then, much later, the Ottoman Empire (or the "Turks").