Speeding Tickets...

I have no idea how speeding tickets and the police work so was thinking maybe some of you might be able to enlighten me.

I was driving home tonight in a bit of a rush to make my Dad's birthday and was probably doing 90+ mph at the time. I saw a black bmw catching me from a distance in my rear view mirror so I slowed down a bit thinking it was suspicious. It slowed down with me and then moved over to the hard shoulder and stopped (without flashing any lights or signalling) so I carried on, driving slower than i had been.

I knew I was coming up to a motorway police checkpoint so thought maybe there was a car waiting for me there. I drove through this area and was coming up to my turn off. As i was approaching the turn off another police car started catching me with blue lights flashing. I was right at the exit in the left hand lane with a truck in front of me (in the middle lane - i was doing around 60mph at this point). The police car as it got close turned its lights off. As it went past me it had "hold back" on its display but instead of cutting in front of me (which I'm fairly sure it could have done by going round the truck and into the exit) it just moved in front of the truck so I carried on off my exit. It then seemed to put its blue lights back on and then i couldn't see if it sped off or whether it pulled the truck.

So what I want to know is what was it likely doing. It seems like too much of a coincidence for it to not have been for me. If a police car doesn't pull you over can it give you a ticket and what is the likelihood of this happening? It just seems strange that they could easily just have followed me and pulled me over but decided not to and just leave it...

Sounds to me like it was after the black Beemer so I wouldn't worry too much about it, the sign in the back window would have been more of a warning to cars thinking that sat behind a police car would have made the road in front if them less congested.

Rushing back for your old man's birthday isn't an excuse to get you off a speeding rap either but I'm sure you're already aware of that.

Sounds to me like it was after the black Beemer so I wouldn't worry too much about it, the sign in the back window would have been more of a warning to cars thinking that sat behind a police car would have made the road in front if them less congested.

Rushing back for your old man's birthday isn't an excuse to get you off a speeding rap either but I'm sure you're already aware of that.

Nah i think you've misunderstood me a little, the black beemer was an unmarked car that stopped much earlier before I saw the marked car. To be honest i think i'm getting a fine and a ban maybe :disappointed:

At least my arsehole will stay in tact as long as they don't see going off the slip road as 'evasion'.

I think more than likely you were clocked at speed by the unmarked car, which decided not to pull you as you had taken the hint and slowed down. The marked car was either alerted by the unmarked car and decided to check you out, or that could have been entirely coincidental and he was actually pulling the truck.

Either way, while it's possible for a traffic car to record footage of you against a calibrated speedo, it's unlikely they would act on it without pulling you.

90% sure you're in the clear. Worst you'd get for 90mph is a fixed pen and three points, unless you were driving like a dick.