Managerial stats at the end of 2012/13 season

Just to add, this years play-off reaching PPG was 1.61, automatic PPG was 1.80, and championship winning PPG was 1.83.

Oldham Athletic averaged 1.11 PPG (54 points) which was about 37% of the total points on offer.

Oh boy, statistics. I get excited about a grammar thread, but a maths related one, that is Mikey heaven.

There is a book being published at the end of the month called The Numbers Game: Why Everything You Know About Football is Wrong, it basically analyses decision making in the game from the point of view of statistics. I have my pre-order in with Amazon, football and maths, the long summer days will just fly by.

Oh boy, statistics. I get excited about a grammar thread, but a maths related one, that is Mikey heaven.

There is a book being published at the end of the month called The Numbers Game: Why Everything You Know About Football is Wrong, it basically analyses decision making in the game from the point of view of statistics. I have my pre-order in with Amazon, football and maths, the long summer days will just fly by.

If this floats anybody else's boat ...

£9.74 from Waterstones and 4% for PlayerShare via this link:

http://www.spendandraise.com/xtra/shop/goto.php?rb=3-3787

£8.96 from Amazon and 1% for PlayerShare via this link:

http://www.spendandraise.com/xtra/shop/goto.php?rb=3-1861

Type the book title into the shop's search engine to find it ... The Numbers Game: Why Everything You Know About Football is Wrong

Edited by opinions4u

If this floats anybody else's boat ...

£9.74 from Waterstones and 4% for PlayerShare via this link:

http://www.spendandr...o.php?rb=3-3787

£8.96 from Amazon and 1% for PlayerShare via this link:

http://www.spendandr...o.php?rb=3-1861

Type the book title into the shop's search engine to find it ... The Numbers Game: Why Everything You Know About Football is Wrong

Ha ha, never miss a trick O4U. It's written by a former pro goalkeeper and an ex baseball player.

'You'll discover why stopping a goal is more valuable than scoring one, why corners should be taken short, and why it is better to improve your worst player than to buy a superstar.'

That bit reminds me of Matty Smith and Lee Barnard.

Can we make and pin a thread called 'Lee Johnson Bookshare' to fund him being bought this book?

Edited by NewBlue

Have you read 'Soccernomics'?

Have you read 'Soccernomics'?

No, but I have a natural aversion to anything to do with the word s****r. I will give it a whirl, I have a two week half term holiday to fill. :D I suppose the film Moneyball shows the power of statistics in sport. Graham Taylor, discovering hoofing the ball into the opponent's penalty area produces results, is the downside.

No, but I have a natural aversion to anything to do with the word s****r. I will give it a whirl, I have a two week half term holiday to fill. :D I suppose the film Moneyball shows the power of statistics in sport. Graham Taylor, discovering hoofing the ball into the opponent's penalty area produces results, is the downside.

That's understandable. The earlier version was called 'Why England Lose', and it's well worth a read.

I like stats. They offer a simple and unimpeachable analysis and overview. They make you see things you can't see otherwise. But they don't help you to win football matches any more than engineering training helps you to win the Tour de France. There are so many other factors, chief among which is the human one. That's why people watch rather than manipulate spreadsheets on Football Manager games.

As for taking short corners...Seriously, at our level, if you take a short corner rather than throwing it into the mixer, you want shooting.

Why? Just curious.

There is nothing wrong with the word itself, it is just that it has been appropriated by the septics to differentiate Association from American football and it irritates me when I hear them say it. Just a personal thing.

As for taking short corners...Seriously, at our level, if you take a short corner rather than throwing it into the mixer, you want shooting.

I haven't read it yet, but I think think they give statistical evidence that, for example, short corners produce more goals than long ones. As it happens there is a review of the book in The Times today, I can't put a link up because I get it as an app.

I haven't read it yet, but I think think they give statistical evidence that, for example, short corners produce more goals than long ones. As it happens there is a review of the book in The Times today, I can't put a link up because I get it as an app.

Wouldn't matter anyway as the times has a rather comprehensive pay wall that makes linking to it for general public use virtually useless.

But thanks for the heads up, as I have access to the app too.

Edited by rudemedic

I haven't read it yet, but I think think they give statistical evidence that, for example, short corners produce more goals than long ones.

I can imagine that's right. The problem is that often at our level (or rather for Latics) a short corner becomes merely a method of getting the ball back in play as opposed to a goal threat. Play it short and swing it in from a better angle and we'll score goals, play it short and dither with it along the touchline and we'll cede possession.

I'm going to have to give this book a look.

• 5 months later...

It seems to get mixed reviews. What did you make of it?