Playstation 4 v Xbox One

23 members have voted

1. 1. Which corner of rivalry will you join?

• Playstation 4
    • Xbox One
    • Both Consoles
    • Neither
    • Undecided

PS4 looks a lot better than the Xbox One, and although I've always been an xbox man and love the 360 (which is better that the PS3), if I was to buy one of the next gen console it would probably be the PS4. Microsoft seem to have gone backwards in their though processes for the Xbox One whilst Sony have improved on an already good console, I like Xbox 360s because I enjoy the gameplay and the online features much more but they don't seem to care about that aspect of the game at all with the Xbox One. As well as that, its highly likely that the PS4 graphics will be immense and I like the thought of climbing up a large building to be greeted by the amazing landscape on Assassin's Creed.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with Molyneux; disappeared up his own arse.

EDIT: Made some cracking games though! Theme Park was off the :censored:ing chain.

Molyneux had a habit for promising the earth when making a game. Making him look stupider when he didn't.

Edited by Oafc88

The Fable series got progressively worse. Too easy, and with the house decorating and family aspects it became Sims: Fable. Then Molyneux (the king of over-promising and under-delivering) turned Fable 3 into a piece of trivially easy, linear :censored: with one big plot twist and no real choice of character development. I've learned my lesson there. Skyrim, Elder Scrolls, Fallout 3 and Fallout New Vegas were all far better. And the excellent characterisation and plotting in Dragon Age Origins, even (to a lesser extent thanks to the arcade game combat and reuse of maps) Dragon Age 2, all pissed over the Fable series.

Loved Dragon Age Origins but was a bit meh over 2. Hoping they bring it back with number 3.

Bioware seem to be taking their eye off the ball recently, eapecially with the less than satisfying ending with Mass Effect 3. I know a developer is entitled to finish a game to how they choose but not after they have built so much choice and decision into it that was carried throughout over 3 games. To then build to the finale and have you potentially choose for something you have fought against for three games was bizarre. And the fact all three endings were near enough similar and really short dissapointed me. Choose my favourite colour? :censored: you Bioware!!

Rant over.

In answer to the OP question it will be the PS4 on pre-order for me. It was always going to be really as it's my console of choice but the way E3 has panned out has near enough confirmed it to me. I was considering maybe getting an Xbox further down the line for exclusives but not now until they change their stance. The second hand game clause is stupid from Microsoft but nowhere near as daft as it's every 24 hour internet connection.

Edited by Oafc88

I really couldn't give a fig about these purported restrictions. I might end up with both as it happens, but if I had to choose one it'd be the Xbox One for two reasons: I'm less of a gamer these days and like the media centre capabilities; and the Xbox Live service is superior to PSN in every conceivable way.

Neither. I'm still playing my PS2 and Wii, just bought lots of new second hand games for those.

Might get a PS3 when the prices drop so I have a blu-ray player and can get The Last of Us and a few other games of the generation I've missed.

Microsoft have done everything to persuade me not to buy a Xbone.

PS4 is non backwards compatable which confuses me, if they changed that I might feel like treating myself and get that instead of the PS3

Neither. I'm still playing my PS2 and Wii, just bought lots of new second hand games for those.

Might get a PS3 when the prices drop so I have a blu-ray player and can get The Last of Us and a few other games of the generation I've missed.

Microsoft have done everything to persuade me not to buy a Xbone.

PS4 is non backwards compatable which confuses me, if they changed that I might feel like treating myself and get that instead of the PS3

Although it will not be ready at launch Sony are meant to be looking into some sort of online backwards compatability. I'm not too sure on how in depth it's going to be but i remember it being showcased when Sony did the initial reveal in April (i think).

"We :censored:ed up, we're sorry!"

Good move. And a necessary one.

Agreed, whilst no doubt this is where the industry is heading, I think Microsoft tried to go too far too soon, pissing alot of people off in the process.

Looking at the specs It looks like PS4 will have alot more graphical grunt with a more ppowerful GPU and faster GDDR5 memory as opposed to the XBox Ones DDR3. The OS on the PS4 is also much less of a resource hog, requiring only 1GB of the 8GB of memory available as opposed to the 3GB needed on the XBox One, leaving more available for games to utilise.

But agree with Zorrro that XBox Live is a superior service to PSN, and Microsofts plans to offload some computing tasks to cloud based servers sound interesting.

• 2 weeks later...

It had bloody better be backwards compatible! New call of duty game will be out in october or November, and then a month later the PS4 arrives and nobody can play online?

When's the new GTA out too? Looking forward to that providing they inject a bit of San Andreas humour and playability into it. The last one looked great but it was tedious as hell to play. Go kill him, now go there and kill him, now come back here and kill him..... What happened to dressing in a gimp suit, beating people to death with dildos and flying round in a jet pack? San Andreas rocked!

It had bloody better be backwards compatible! New call of duty game will be out in october or November, and then a month later the PS4 arrives and nobody can play online?

When's the new GTA out too? Looking forward to that providing they inject a bit of San Andreas humour and playability into it. The last one looked great but it was tedious as hell to play. Go kill him, now go there and kill him, now come back here and kill him..... What happened to dressing in a gimp suit, beating people to death with dildos and flying round in a jet pack? San Andreas rocked!

It isn't backwards compatible, but neither is the PS4. Both of the next gen consoles have completely different architectures to their predecessors, making backwards compatibility different. Considering the backwards compatibility of the XBox 360/PS3 was limited bordering on non existent, I don't think it was deemed a major issue.

The XBox One so far has been nothing short of a PR disaster.

I think that's a bit harsh. There was some strong criticism to begin with - most of which went a bit beyond the pale IMO - but since then they've rowed all the way back to the boathouse and got a lot of people back on board.

There are some extremely short memories on the Internet - has everyone seriously forgotten Sony's monumental security :censored: up? That's what a true PR disaster looks like.

I think that's a bit harsh. There was some strong criticism to begin with - most of which went a bit beyond the pale IMO - but since then they've rowed all the way back to the boathouse and got a lot of people back on board.

There are some extremely short memories on the Internet - has everyone seriously forgotten Sony's monumental security :censored: up? That's what a true PR disaster looks like.

Oh hell yes, and not forgetting their 'giant enemy crab' E3 presentation.

Given that impending fatherhood is going to render me sofa bound for weeks and months on end, I need help from you geeks post haste. Finishing Breaking Bad and The Sopranos is a mere short term sticking plaster over a shotgun wound before I'm resorted to hours of :censored: TV. I loved GTA Vice City and San Andreas, so the upcoming GTA V has wetted my appetite again, plus I never got round to playing GTA IV so I'll do that too.

But which console do I get?

I'm probably going to need it to replace my Blu-Ray player which I use to stream movies I've downloaded onto TV. So the media player side of things still needs to be A-OK. But, pros and cons of both as I haven't a fricking clue when it comes down to consoles. Might do a bit of FIFA football but it's mainly going to be a media hub.

Or, does someone offer me more sage advice in neither - just get out more instead?

ZX Spectrum. Adjusting the Protek memory pack so the thing would boot - eventually having to fold up a bit of card to wedge underneath the peripheral to make it connect properly. Z80 processor @ 3.5mhz.... Three. Point. Five. Megahertz.

Atic-Atac, Avalon, Manic Miner, Knightlore, Lunar Jetman....