Runners amongst us...

I think I've got mixed up with the half marathon which seemed to have had a similar name and run by the same people ? The 10k is supposed to be a less hilly and easier route.

Not bothered with it in the end, but my garmin forerunner has arrived so will be putting in the miles again soon...

I think I've got mixed up with the half marathon which seemed to have had a similar name and run by the same people ? The 10k is supposed to be a less hilly and easier route.

Not bothered with it in the end, but my garmin forerunner has arrived so will be putting in the miles again soon...

Yeah, I did about 12k over hills at six in the morning last Sunday instead, I'll be doing it again tomorrow, it was good fun - just love getting out there first thing and getting some miles in. Even better in the rain, running in hard conditions is superb. Have you ever run a beach? I ran about 8k in Norfolk right on the edge of the sea, :censored:ing tough under foot but exhilarating.

Me too.I love it - wish I had more time to keep fit. I like to do some sort of training everyday but work, kids etc. Some people find running boring, but, ironically, to me running's a great way to get away from the monotony of day to day :censored:..get them endorphins going.....and rain or hot sun make it more fun.

I have actually run on a beach, in Playa Flamenca last year, but it was a smallish beech and I got sick of running back and forth the same stretch, so nowt like an 8k. Snow's a :censored:er and works yer core...just gotta be careful on it haven't you...

Eubank Jnr goes on about the pebbled Brighton beach.

Running on a sandy beach is better for you as it reduces the risk of impact injuries, especially shin splints.

I'd regularly have training sessions, especially during pre-season, on a sandy beach if I was in charge of a professional sports team.

Edited by rudemedic

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I just joined the Couch to 5k program in hopes to get a 5k under my belt by the new year.

I haven't heard of it, although good luck with the programme. Opportunity to run in the Cardiff Half for 2014, not sure yet I'll have to see - the missus is definitely running it.

Thanks! Good luck in the Cardiff if you do.

1.82 miles just kicked my butt. I know not a lot but my first day back in over two years. The program basically tells you what to do. Today (and all week, I think) it's RUN 60 seconds then walk 90 seconds for 20 minutes. It increases every week. Two years ago I got up to 3.5k until I hurt my Achilles .

• 1 month later...

Way back in 1982 the first Oldham 10K started and finished at Latics. It was my first one and there was a blue t-shirt available that I had until a few years ago. Changing was upstairs in the old Lookers stand.

Edit: just checked in my old scrapbooks (sad) and it was Sept 83. Over 2500 runners!

Edited by LaticsPete

Way back in 1982 the first Oldham 10K started and finished at Latics. It was my first one and there was a blue t-shirt available that I had until a few years ago. Changing was upstairs in the old Lookers stand.

I did it in 1989 or 90 when I was 14/15 in a time I've still never beaten.

Edited by HarryBosch

I just joined the Couch to 5k program in hopes to get a 5k under my belt by the new year. Has anyone here used this program?

I did it 2 years ago but hurt my Achilles working for the Tampa Bay Rays. Gonna have another go with it.

Nice one mate, I've been looking for a programme for beginners (obviously) not done any running for years since I stopped playing football and rugby in my mid-late 20s, this is just what I've been looking for to reverse the slide.

Nice one mate, I've been looking for a programme for beginners (obviously) not done any running for years since I stopped playing football and rugby in my mid-late 20s, this is just what I've been looking for to reverse the slide.

Try your GP, Prozac, there seems to be an introductory exercise group available on the NHS in quite a few locations. The health benefits and cost-effectiveness of exercise mean it is popular with Clinical Commissioning Groups, i.e. GPs.

Try your GP, Prozac, there seems to be an introductory exercise group available on the NHS in quite a few locations. The health benefits and cost-effectiveness of exercise mean it is popular with Clinical Commissioning Groups, i.e. GPs.

Oldham has a load of stuff like that going on all the time at the moment

Glad I've found it! Believe it or not I used to be a really fit lad, played football and rugby, ran three times a week. I even went for the Fire Brigade a couple of times in my late teens/early 20s then moved from an active job to being sat behind a desk all day the pay got bigger but so did my waistline, domestic bliss and kids arrived along and it all went downhill from there.

I've found this online though and i'm really keen to give it a go, the tide has to turn or it'll only end up one way….

http://www.nhs.uk/Livewell/c25k/Pages/get-running-with-couch-to-5k.aspx

Give Oldham Parkrun a go once you feel ready.

It's a 5k 3 laps around Alexandra Park on Saturdays at 9am and has people at all levels doing it - some of the older/bigger people walk most of it I think.

It's free & you register online http://www.parkrun.org.uk/oldham/ then print a barcode off that they scan for your time which is posted up Saturday lunchtime.

I've always gone to the gym quite a bit (yes, I know you can't tell) but always hated running but found this addictive and have got quite into it now. I should've been doing a half marathon next Sunday about a year after my first Parkrun (where I had to walk the third lap).