Marwan Koukash

although Bolton would fit the bill as a big club once I think I'm right in saying their debt is astronomical, cant see any non BWFC fan touching them with a barge pole.

Although wealthy I dont think Koukash has the kind of ackers to make the likes of us into a Premier League team.Still, be nice to have some dosh - unless he renamed us to Manchester whatever in which case he can stick it up his pipe! ;-)

'A big club once' doesn't sound to me like a club that has only spent one year in the Championship who is still recieving parachute payments. As you say though, they have massive debt so they could end up being described in such a way in the future.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think he's been a breath of fresh air to RL. I've no doubt that if they get shot of the salary cap he will sign up a lot of top players for them. Football is obviously a different kettle of fish and you get a lot lot lot less bang for your buck, I'd welcome him with open arms though. A rich man who wants to splash the cash - and isnt likely to go bust anytime soon - is preferable to the death of a thousand cuts we've been experiencing for too long.

He had already said he is going to break the salary cap next season.

Edited by Roger Ritchie

He had already said he is going to break the salary cap next season.

I'm leaning towards thinking that was bluster, surely the advisors he's brought in would advise against! Although saying that he's just sacked one of them....

Perhaps the 2 point deduction the RFL just gave Salford was a shot across the bows, for breaking the salary cap it'll be a lot lot more than that. If he can just sit on his hands until 2015 I reckon he'll get his wish. Then again he could just make players wives and girlfriends the best paid cleaners in the world. I've heard tittle tattle about Warrington along those lines!

so.....who's up for subscribing to Latics-Red Devils -Gee Gee's TV? Me!

"The particular club we're looking at the remedy for it is there," he added. "It was a huge club previously and it just needs that little bit of extra investment to take it to the next level.

"By bringing in the personnel that were previously associated with the club at its heyday and bringing people in who are genuine club supporters it will excite the fans.

"Once I get the football club I will definitely have my own TV channel which will cover my three sports; racing, rugby and football."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/rugby-league/22949693

The "huge club previously" just doesnt sound like us because let's face it we werent. I'm flailing around for other obvious candidates though

Just heard Mr K on GMR and he did say the club inviolved were once a big club and with a bit of "tweeking" could be again. Does three years in the top division (albeit 20 years ago), and being a founder member of the Premier League constitute a once big club??

Just a thought.

Although Dr. Koukash is a PhD

'A big club once' doesn't sound to me like a club that has only spent one year in the Championship who is still recieving parachute payments. As you say though, they have massive debt so they could end up being described in such a way in the future.

EDIT He is quoted as saying a HUGE club once, I thought, in all honesty, that counted us out, but seems true by Mike Keegan.

Still wary, like most LAtics fans.

Edited by singe

"By bringing in the personnel that were previously associated with the club at its heyday and bringing people in who are genuine club supporters it will excite the fans. Mr Royle and Mr Scholes?

"Once I get the football club I will definitely have my own TV channel which will cover my three sports; racing, rugby and football." With an audience ?

And maybe John Wardle? I'd be interested to see him negotiate a racing channel. Anyone who shares m interest there will know that the politics and arguing re media rights makes football look like mere beginners

I think we should always be wary of anyone - our history and that of loads of other clubs dictates that - but COME ON, 'AVE IT. The promises of Koukash versus our current reality - live the dream! Hmm, maybe not the best phrase ;-)

I'm not too sure about this one, not saying in anyway that he's Chris Moore but I can easily see a similar outcome in the long term. Not many have been impressed with the stuff he being saying and doing since he took over Salford.

Salford are already sharing their ( well council owned stadium) with Sale Sharks so I can't see how he could move us to the other side of Manchester if thats what he plans.

I'm not too sure about this one, not saying in anyway that he's Chris Moore but I can easily see a similar outcome in the long term. Not many have been impressed with the stuff he being saying and doing since he took over Salford.

Salford are already sharing their ( well council owned stadium) with Sale Sharks so I can't see how he could move us to the other side of Manchester if thats what he plans.

Could Salford move over here? I've always felt the Bury, Rochdale, Oldham area has the demand for a Super League side.

Little bit of sneaky online reading I've been doing at work suggests he was more focused on building something long lasting than coming in and flashing the cash when taking over at Salford. Much more fitting approach than the prem in 5 years false promises type character. The MEN quote "Extra investment to take it to the next level" - that seems a very realistic goal.

Then again, there was talk of Sam Tomkins etc. So I'm optimistic but cautious if this is going ahead.

I thought the bit about him wanting to bring in people associated with the club in it's heyday was a dead give away, didn't somebody on here say I while ago Royle was part of a consortium looking to take over?

Little bit of sneaky online reading I've been doing at work suggests he was more focused on building something long lasting than coming in and flashing the cash when taking over at Salford. Much more fitting approach than the prem in 5 years false promises type character. The MEN quote "Extra investment to take it to the next level" - that seems a very realistic goal.

Then again, there was talk of Sam Tomkins etc. So I'm optimistic but cautious if this is going ahead.

Tomkins will never go there as long as I have a hole in my arse, he's joining your local NRL team I believe. Mummy's already been out there to look at the set up etc...