Open letter to Metrolink

rudemedic

Think quite a few of you might enjoy this. http://openlettertometrolink.blogspot.co.uk/2013/08/dear-mr-cushing-metrolink-director.html?m=1

This bloke misses the "Metrolink staff only" stop though which often includes a change of driver despite the fact that the lines only take roughly an hour end to end.

The author makes some valid points, but there's an equal measure of joking about - and unfortunately that's why it won't get replied to. And I hope Metrolink don't send out one of those funny responses that's a la mode in advertising these days.

I don't use it unless I'm out in Manchester and so I don't encounter any problems with the service, I suppose if frequently relied on it then by the law of averages I'm going to experience some delay at some point. The Droylsden comment is daft, surely it's more if not everything to do to do with linking Droylsden people with Manchester - I'm sure this is something the Oldham people can relate with as they were released from it's self-imposed segregation from the rest of the country about 12 months ago.

I must admit the Rochdale extension (and all the work surrounding it in Rochdale Town centre) from Milnrow on the Oldham Mumps line was baffling, as there already is a decent - faster - train service from Rochdale to Victoria.

On saturday I turned up at Bury tram station at 8:30 expecting to be able to get an Altrincham tram to Old Trafford. At 9, none had arrived (3 Droylesden trans had).

There were now about 25 people waiting to go to the cricket. We asked the inspector on the Droylesden tram who said "No trams run to altrincham from Bury til 9:30 on a saturday".

Any thought that there is a major sporting event going on? - Nah.

By the time we got a tram, it was standing room only on the tram leaving bury. By the time we hit crumpsall it was full. The doors never opened after victoria even though a few people wanted to get off at picc gardens. Absolute shambles.

Edited by pukka

I get the tram everday from Chadderton to St Peters Sq. Whilst it has its flaws its both better than driving and the train.

I agree massively with the Twitter point though. I have tweeted them a number of times to ask about delays and never had one reply.

Edited by razza699

I sometimes get the tram if I am having a drink after work, my nearest stop is 2 from Bury but by that time the tram is usually rammed, I've taken to going to the terminus at Bury to make sure I can get on. It is only a matter of time before we will have blokes with sticks pushing us on like they do with the Tokyo underground.

I sometimes get the tram if I am having a drink after work, my nearest stop is 2 from Bury but by that time the tram is usually rammed, I've taken to going to the terminus at Bury to make sure I can get on. It is only a matter of time before we will have blokes with sticks pushing us on like they do with the Tokyo underground.

I've been on the Tokyo Metro a good few times and have never been pushed into a carriage by a man with a stick! It does get unbelievably busy though.

"I'm happy to provide a day's social media training at a bargain price of £800 a day and will come by car so we can start on time."

Quality.

The thing that pisses me off about this is that there has been no trains from Shaw for about two and a half years. The trams start and they have been cancelled due to maintenance every weekend for about eight weeks. What the actual :censored:? The line is brand new!

Works brilliantly when it works... Sadly it's been broken more than once when I've been trying to use it! Worst case was when I was trying to get to Victoria to get a train over to Liverpool - they only announced that the tram was out of commission after I'd bought my ticket! Said it would be valid on 181/182 bus instead, but apparently didn't bother to tell the driver who wouldn't let us on! Ended up on a 59 after spending about 4 hours persuading the jobsworth driver to let me on... Not the best experience!

Works brilliantly when it works... Sadly it's been broken more than once when I've been trying to use it! Worst case was when I was trying to get to Victoria to get a train over to Liverpool - they only announced that the tram was out of commission after I'd bought my ticket! Said it would be valid on 181/182 bus instead, but apparently didn't bother to tell the driver who wouldn't let us on! Ended up on a 59 after spending about 4 hours persuading the jobsworth driver to let me on... Not the best experience!

That might be down to the breathtaking incompetence of a lot of First Buses' drivers. I've had a few arguments with them over whether Plusbus tickets are valid ("that's a train ticket, love" "no, it's a bus ticket - that's why it has the word 'bus' on it") and quite a lot of the drivers on the 181/182 seem to be completely unaware that the bus goes near BP when away fans ask for directions.

• 2 weeks later...

Recent weeks the system has been shocking been told to jump off and show are tickets on buses yet some drivers refuse to accept them. Constant delays beyond Mumpd and on the single line section at Newton Heath.

Although i buy a ticket i find the inspectors to be proper josworths at times to people with tickets nevermind without.

Yesterday I just missed a train on the Jubilee line and had to wait two minutes for the next one. Disgraceful.

Seriously though. The transport up north is truly shocking - especially given the amount they charge you for it. London has an integrated system (no mucking about with a ticket for the bus and another for the train) run centrally by Transport for London - the responsibility falls on the mayor, who can easily lose an election if the system breaks for any reason. Road monitoring, massive penalties for bus contractors and the RMT all play their parts in ensuring things run smoothly.

Recent weeks the system has been shocking been told to jump off and show are tickets on buses yet some drivers refuse to accept them. Constant delays beyond Mumpd and on the single line section at Newton Heath.

Although i buy a ticket i find the inspectors to be proper josworths at times to people with tickets nevermind without.

As someone who had experience of Metrolink 15 years ago, and how bad it was back then. The complete balls they have made of actually constructing the extended lines says it all and the at best patchy service they are providing is really no surprise.