i love cliff byrne just as much as any iron fan... but those were the days i would of wanted him as our main CB all season, those days unfortunately have gone - he has not got enough pace to cut it as a league one 1st team defender, the games too quick for defender like cliff nowadays i unless he was a bit younger! and as much as i like cliff, given the choice between him or tarky id choose tarky all day long

I think we'll finish a lot higher with Byrne putting in another 40 appearances at RB/CB than we will if he doesn't.

• Replies 199
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hope you're not discounting his improved performances in pre-season and the first 5 games of this season, in which he's clearly bigger, stronger and much-benefiting from a new coaching set-up, and has been streaks ahead of almost anyone else in our team, despite still only being 20 and playing in a position in which, arguably, experience is most important.

Because that would of course be silly.

Regardless of the physical side he's being allowed to play his natural game again - that's what's made the difference.

Edited by HarryBosch

Well pre season form isn't worth a bag of conkers so of course should be discounted.

And whisper it quietly but this defence in which your man is showing this much improved form is still to keep a clean sheet...

I thought it was largely accepted before a ball had been kicked that we wouldn't be seeing many clean sheets this season?

Whisper it even more quietly, but it only conceded 1 against a Derby team that just put 5 past Brentford, and 2 against a Peterborough team that just put 6 past Reading and has scored 23 this season already.

I tend to ignore form and results in cup ties Fitzy, all about what happens in ze league for me.

We won't be winning many games then Hazza.

From Wiki;

Peterborough finally finished 4th in 2010-11 Football League One with one of the worse defensive records in the third tier, conceding over 70 goals, but scoring 106; the most for anybody in the Football League that season. Peterborough beat Milton Keynes Dons in the playoff semi-finals. They defeated Huddersfield Town in the Final with a 3–0 victory, and gained promotion back to the Championship.

Sorry been to every game ever have we?

From the 2 games Ive also seen this season, Tarky looked pretty solid, except he did get a few sticky moments against Derby against Connor Sammon (whos crap but was made to look unbelievable that night). I still have that feeling that he is still learning and will make a number of colossal errors if he comes up against a decent strike force ala COG last season. Grounds I dont feel that with, and neither Cliff Byrne who I feel are both pretty solid albeit not as glamorous as a ball playing CB that Tarky is being touted as. Id be suprised if he goes to Huddersfield this early on in his career and gets chucked straight in, I would imagine it will take him a couple of years to bed himself in properly and cut out the mistakes before he rises a level.

Every player on earth makes mistakes. Tarky I would say this season so far has made none I can think of from the top of my head (happy for someone to point one out if he has) and he's been up against some very very good strikers.

It feels like you don't want him to be a success or at the least simply can't admit that you are wrong.

You only have to look at the fact he already has 2 or 3 MOM awards. The lad has been a breath of fresh air for me so far this season. Absolute machine.

We couldn't score for toffee! How bad is your memory?

So your saying there was no problem with the defence even though it was one of the worse runs for years. So Tarkowski could have played in that run and you would have been happy with his performance?

Someone on the Oldham facebook page status has said that this is Tarky's last game. Apparently, he's off to 'Udders and being loaned back to us for the rest of the season.

Heard this from a certain Oldham journalist.

Hi again OneSize, I'm still not convinced by him, not by a long shot. He has certainly improved, but his continuation to let the ball bounce (along with Grounds) would cost us against better quality than today. He's still painfully slow...

He wasn't as good today as he has been the last couple of games, but bear in mind he's still only 20. Although there's plenty to work on, I still thought he was perfectly competent. Sounds as if he's off to Huddersfield anyway, so they must see something in him!