Bands that you thought would become massive, but didn't

opinions4u

Ooh, ooh! That's reminded me!

Nine Black Alps.

Yeah! They were/are big pals of the Longcut. They played a few of their early gigs in a basement bar at the Gardens Hotel my mates ran. Within moments they were playing the main Academy and were signed by Island. I lost interest quickly as they insisted they cleaned up their sound (rather than the DIY grunge early-Nirvana sound they had) and instantly marketed themselves to teeny girls. So they actually did become a little bit massive for a bit and slipped off the radar almost as quickly as they arrived.

I feel even more nostalgic now.

Yeah! They were/are big pals of the Longcut. They played a few of their early gigs in a basement bar at the Gardens Hotel my mates ran. Within moments they were playing the main Academy and were signed by Island. I lost interest quickly as they insisted they cleaned up their sound (rather than the DIY grunge early-Nirvana sound they had) and instantly marketed themselves to teeny girls. So they actually did become a little bit massive for a bit and slipped off the radar almost as quickly as they arrived.

I saw them at The Castle and couldn't hear a bleedin' thing for about three days after. They were LOUD.

Another one for you, and if you heard them I reckon you would have absolutely abhorred them, but I thought they were ace: The Black Velvets.

The Music were destined for big things too.

Had they not gone by such a :censored: search engine unfriendly name they might have made some waves. Can't say I was much of a fan to be honest.

As for Gorky's Zygotic Mynci I was mental for them around 1998-ish. Brilliant band. Coincided nicely with my love for the Super Furries and lead singer Euros Childs has some fine solo stuff and is still going. They were never likely to be massive though.

Not heard The DOT, will spotify them!

I saw the Music in Blackpool at the Empress ballroom ripped off my face and they were mega!

I went to that gig. Got my coat nicked out of the cloak room.

Quality gig though.

The D.O.T have two albums out. Think they plan on one a year for 8 years. My favourite song is Whatever it takes which annoyingly isn't on either album.

Harvey's vocals are mega.