Ashes down under predictions and thread 2013/14...

Im probably going to be hammered for this but, I think we are going to be well beaten. Inspite of the scoreline in the summer, I didn't think there was that much between the sides. We are too reliant on Anderson too.

Going to go for a 3-1 Aussie win. Hope Im wrong, but there we go.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Could be tight, drawn series could be a runner, don't see their batsmen scoring volume of runs needed to win though.

Right decision to move Root down the order, fancy Carberry to go well.

Could be a last hurrah for Pietersen, can see him retiring from Test matches after this, maybe Swann too.

As much as this is hypocritical of the Aussies (99% of them wouldn't have walked either) - it is also hypocritical of the english too. The English press wouldn't go on about someone cheating against England would they?!

Is this England side as good as it is made out to be?

This isn'tva reaction to this collapse, I thought the same in the summer. Too often have we seen this collapse (ok this was by far the worse)

or

Is it a confidence thing? When everything is going on a nice slow pitch (I.e lords) we are assured and bully teams. Get out of our comfort zone and the nerves kick in.

It's a sign that England don't play enough warm-up games prior to the 1st test match when they go on tour. We had 3 warm up games prior to this match, 2 of which were affected by the weather.

Forget the 90 page dossiers on what to eat at meal-times prepared by a nutritionist, especially as I and anyone else can call myself/themselves a nutritionist, but I'm not allowed to call myself a dietician, as that is the protected term. Just play at least 1 and more likely more warm-up games.

England have not won the first match, against decent opposition (ie not Bangladesh) in a test series away from home since SA and prior to that they struggled too. It's a sign that their preparation is not good enough, especially as they have gone on to win a lot of those series.

I was fuming this morning.

If Trott hasn't been practising the short ball for the last 2 months he's an idiot.... if he has, his efforts have been pathetic. He's a walking wicket if he keeps this up.

I hope there were some stern words in the dressing room today.

I'm looking forward to Gillingham tomorrow, followed by Froch v Groves..... then a better performance in Brisbane!

It's a sign that England don't play enough warm-up games prior to the 1st test match when they go on tour. We had 3 warm up games prior to this match, 2 of which were affected by the weather.

Forget the 90 page dossiers on what to eat at meal-times prepared by a nutritionist, especially as I and anyone else can call myself/themselves a nutritionist, but I'm not allowed to call myself a dietician, as that is the protected term. Just play at least 1 and more likely more warm-up games.

England have not won the first match, against decent opposition (ie not Bangladesh) in a test series away from home since SA and prior to that they struggled too. It's a sign that their preparation is not good enough, especially as they have gone on to win a lot of those series.

100% agree. Botham was banging on about not being able to replicate the pressure of a test match. No you can't but why bother playing a warm up match at all then? Why bother practicing in the nets? There is no pressure there is there? Its the same crap argument about teams not practicing penalties in football.

You practice so that when it comes to the real life situation, you have ran through it and know what you are doing.

Edited by pukka

Terrible terrible session. But that's Test Cricket and that's what makes it great. Out of the blue, something like that can happen.

We are in a massive hole now, and have pretty much gifted them the test. But there is a long way to go. It is Test Cricket and strange things happen, it's a huge ask but the team have got to believe they can save it. At the very least, we have to bat well in defeat just to give the batsmen some confidence.

At the moment, I just think there are too many batsmen in poor form. Cook, Trott and Prior have proven in the past that they are very good players and I think they are just in bad form. Unfortunately, it's all happened at the same time.

One good performance and it can all change very quickly... I just hope they do it sharpish!

Trott needs to give his head a right wobble. That was village cricket at best and put us in all kinds of trouble. This one's gone now. Think we'll get similar woes at Perth. Just depends on how we perform in grounds that'll suit us better such as Adelaide and Sydney.

We've serious, serious issues batting though. Carberry has been decent, today he was just dreadfully unlucky.