Ashes down under predictions and thread 2013/14...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Trott needs to give his head a right wobble. That was village cricket at best and put us in all kinds of trouble. This one's gone now. Think we'll get similar woes at Perth. Just depends on how we perform in grounds that'll suit us better such as Adelaide and Sydney.

We've serious, serious issues batting though. Carberry has been decent, today he was just dreadfully unlucky.

Oops!

You weren't to know mate but oh the irony!

First day in Brisbane, think arrogance kicked in as ever since and Cook hasn't had a :censored:ing clue. Now his batting has gone tits up and has been poor for some time since India - what's he bringing to the table? Tactically Clarke is wiping the floor with him. We have clearly underestimated the Aussies and we've not learnt the lessons of the Summer. Yes we beat them 3-0 but fine margins at key times went in our favour, at the moment we're being out bowled, out fielded and out batted. Monty's attempt at that catch was embarrassing earlier.

I can't see it changing tonight either, a couple of quick wickets and the collapse will be on again. Can only see a 3 1/2 day innings defeat here.... and with it surrendering the urn. Absolutely gutted that we have come into this series so undercooked, it seems as though if we lose the toss all hope is gone. The games we lost the toss in at home we struggled and we haven't scored 400 in a Test all year. I really thought we had cracked it after winning in India last year, but we have been pisspoor in New Zealand having to dig in to force a draw, we didm;t have to be good to beat them at home. Then we got a lot that went ion our favour over the Summer, we had our moments but we have been in decline for a while imo.

Not watched any of this test due to my shift this week. I'll be watching all night tonight then straight to bed before Latics... (when latics are the event to cheer you up, you know the world has gone mad)

It's a road from the sounds of it, we SHOULD be able to post a score of 450+. The batting has been a problem, but if we see out the next 10 overs or so the pace and bounce Johnson gets will be negated on that wicket.

I said at the start that I thought the Aussies would win this series. I still think that we are over reliant on Anderson bowling and when it doesn't swing he lacks the pace and bounce to get at them. It was always going to be very tough. If we can save this test we still have a mountain to climb at the WACA.

Still think we will draw this.

Edited by pukka

We can still bat long and get a draw here. If we get a draw I also think we will end up with momentum going into the next Test.

If Carberry had held the Haddin catch before close yesterday we'd possibly had been looking at a different game. We're struggling but Aussie are still the same lot that looked decent over here in the summer but were liable to falling apart in a session and undoing all their good work pretty quickly.

Pressure on Carberry, Bell, KP and Root now. They have to bat long and well. This Test is shaping up like Old Trafford but with no rain to save us at the end!

Acknowledging, and then acting like children about sledging in the run-up to the second test was a disaster. It's made them look pathetic and vulnerable to the Aussies, can't cope, getting under their skin etc. They've given a massive mental advantage to the Convicts.

It also doesn't help when it appears as though you've only got 1 or 2 players with any sort of fire or grit and a captain who is being totally out-thought by his opposite number.

Edited by Mullet

Hate to say I told you so - there's something dreadfully wrong in the camp. It's aggressive bowling but at the end of day it's Mitchell :censored:ing Johnson - not McGrath or Lee

Totally agree with this. I'm sure something will come out in future about behind the scenes. Over 200 (just) once in 4 innings and some of the methods of dismissal are embarrassing. And the foot goes off the gas repeatedly in the field.

"it's Mitchell :censored:ing Johnson - not McGrath or Lee"...

Johnson has always had this in his locker though. He has just been erratic. In 2009 he took about 17 wickets in 3 tests vs South Africa. What he hadn't done, is done it against England. Which to the English press and public means - you are crap. He was always erratic. Capable, but capable of 1/100 too. I doubt we will see that Johnson in this series now, definitely not next up as we go to the WACA, where A. It suits him and B. That's where he plays his club cricket.