Tarkowski

Feck me, I've just choked on my coffee!

The Sun on Sunday reckons Rodgers Snr is to bid £2MILLION PLUS 1 LIVERPOOL PLAYER for Tarkowski...starting a bidding frenzy amongst clubs....

December 22nd 2013...the world has officially gone mad!

To be fair, they paid was it £8million for Coates?

I know that wasn't Rodgers Snr who did that, but still. A benchmark...

Still have to say, really can't see bids of that size coming in for him.

Class player he's developed into; and - i can see him eventually playing in the top division - but £2million and a player? Can't see it?

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hopefully it's £2 million upfront, Tarky back on loan for rest of season plus a pick of Liverpool's spare players - winger, striker and creative midfielder.

Really hope we turn this season around in January window...I really thought we'd do it after the excitement following LJs arrival.

Daily Star reporting the same.

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/sport/football/357103/Liverpool-after-Oldham-youngster-James-Tarkowski

Brief replication of the Chronicle story. Mike Keegan had tweeted that there's nothing to it. Maybe Corney's putting stuff out there to create that bidding war.

Yep. Red Tops in quickly scanning local papers and printing unfounded rumours shocker eh?

For the club; £2million plus a player? No brainer. But i just dont see the bids being that large...

wherever he goes... I want him at oldham until the end of jan, because that way he'll of survived Suarez, got us to the fourth round, survived rooney, got us to the 5th round and then he can buggier off to Liverpool! Class player but talk of £2million is steep

£2m?

If liverpool are stupid enough to pay us that then the world has gone mental.

You sound like you don't WANT us to get a decent fee for him. He's currently our biggest sellable asset and given the fees being paid for players these days, I really don't think £2m is ridiculous at all.

With an apparently quite a few clubs chasing him, the general level of his performances this season and last (including a majestic game in front of the TV cameras v Everton), I don't see why £2m is so outrageous.

There have been players sold for bigger fees that have represented much less value. I also think that if continues his progression (and maintains the right attitude in his own development) then, whoever signs him, could even triple or quadruple their money in a few years.

Have we drawn this conclusion based on the fact that Rodgers has come to see us plenty of times.

Even though he would look comfortable in the championship and with abit more development time not out of place in the PL £2million for him is a no brainer its deal done. Liverpools actual squad is quite threadbare at the moment compared to the likes of chelsea United and City so i imagine they will look to spend in January they usually do. They could justify £2million for a CB which they see as a project and enough to get the deal done quickly to scare off any rival bidders so that he signs on the dotted line on the 1st of Jan.

"You sound like you don't WANT us to get a decent fee for him. He's currently our biggest sellable asset and given the fees being paid for players these days, I really don't think £2m is ridiculous at all."

I do want us to get a big fee for him. The bigger the better.

I just dont think he's that good. I think he is decent, a work in progress, who could have a decent career, but I compare him to Fitz Hall when he was here. I don't think Tarky is the player he was. He hasn't commanded those fees, so if we get £2m I'd be over the moon.

Edited by pukka

"You sound like you don't WANT us to get a decent fee for him. He's currently our biggest sellable asset and given the fees being paid for players these days, I really don't think £2m is ridiculous at all."

I do want us to get a big fee for him. The bigger the better.

I just dont think he's that good. I think he is decent, a work in progress, who could have a decent career, but I compare him to Fitz Hall when he was here. I don't think Tarky is the player he was. He hasn't commanded those fees, so if we get £2m I'd be over the moon.

Nope, he's probably not as good as Fitz was but, if Moore hadn't have pulled the plug on us that summer, we'd have got a lot more for him than the low fee we ended up with.

Really do think Tarky should be looking at a Premier League move. Wouldn't have said Liverpool size, but a Cardiff, Swansea or Fulham. However, I wonder if a few clubs will have been put off by him having a torrid afternoon against a donkey like Jabo Ibhere...

You sound like you don't WANT us to get a decent fee for him. He's currently our biggest sellable asset and given the fees being paid for players these days, I really don't think £2m is ridiculous at all.

You wonder if clubs read messageboards like this to see how low a bid they can get away with.

Certain clubs can and will hold out for big money but a club like us usually need £500k far too much to risk holding out for £2m.

As long as the money is pitched at just enough of a level to not cause unrest amongst the fans they'll take it.

Thankfully, with last seasons cup run and this seasons Liverpool game we can actually hold out this time round.

£3m+ or I'll be OUTRAGED.

Re fitz: I know that, but Fitz hasn't gone on to command those fees throughout his career (maybe he didn't fill his potential though).

Personally I think Tarky playing in a succesful Championship side. A forest for example and trying for promotion would be better than doing what craig Dawson has done at WBA. Hardly got a game.

Edited by pukka

OK, so Tarky had a rough ride on Saturday at the hands of Ibehre - these things happen. Nobody, not even your prime Vidic’ (who regularly got skinned by Torres) comes out on top of individual battles every single game. We could play Colchester again tomorrow and could well see Tarky control Ibehre, just like he controlled Kevin Davies at Deepdale in the League earlier in the season. IMO, that game was where we saw the REAL Tarky. Davies is well known as being an absolute nightmare of a striker to be up against, and to me Tarky made it look fairly easy.

Another thing to consider is that how many other CB’s do you see in our league this year that can bring the ball out of defence and turn defence into attack in less than 5-10 seconds? I’ll answer that for you – none. Defenders in our leagues these days tend to be ball winners and hoofers or just your average cloggers. That’s not to say all defenders in our league are :censored: – far from it – but IMO Tarky has something a lot (if not most) defenders don’t have. Being able to do this is something Premier League teams see as essential nowadays, certainly the top tier ones. If you’re not comfortable with the ball at your feet, you aint getting signed.

You can also add to the above that he has the ability to ping 40-50yrd cross field balls right to our wingers – another attribute greatly sourced by top clubs.

Whilst everyone can sit there and question one’s true value, the fact remains that English players in particular are, in the main, overpriced. When you see the likes of Delph & Rhodes go for £8m, Max Clayton for £1m, Harry Maguire touted as £4m, etc, then how on Earth can people here say Tarky isn’t worth, in comparison, at least a measly £2m.

Whilst £1m would mightily boost our coffers, I’d honestly be a little disappointed at only receiving that. We’ve got a bloody good player on our hands here, and a home grown one at that, so I see no reason why £2m plus a player in exchange is an extraordinary valuation, especially in today’s game.

Alongside another top class natural central defender, I think you’d see Tarky impress even more. His current situation sees him partnering anyone from Grounds (a former Premiership defender), Kusunga (a defender with CL experience) and Lanzoni, yet he’s the one who’s marshalling our backline at every opportunity, being the leader, and generally standing out above the rest (that’s not to put slight on Grounds, Kusunga & Lanzoni who have all impressed in their own ways) but at 21, and with more experienced players besides you being regularly chopped and changed, it’s hardly the ideal situation for a young, ambitious defender, is it?

Tarky is definitely worth £2m in today’s game. I’d also like to see a sell on clause too.

Edited by sjk2008

"could well see Tarky control Ibehre, just like he controlled Kevin Davies at Deepdale in the League earlier in the season. IMO, that game was where we saw the REAL Tarky"... or was Saturday the Real Tarky and PNE an anomoly?

- I'm not saying either or are, I'm only saying its as easy to point to 1 good performance as the real one as to point to one bad and claim the same. I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle. You could also argue that vs PNE he was dealing with a 34 year old who is way past his best, launching the ball up to him. Can you imagine what Tarky would be like with Rooney, Aguero, Loic Remy or Walcott running at him? Before someone says "most players can't deal with that" - he is being touted as playing for the team at the top of the Premier League table (as it stands), so these comparisons are justified.

"Another thing to consider is that how many other CBs do you see in our league this year that can bring the ball out of defence and turn defence into attack in less than 5-10 seconds"

- I agree. I'd say they are often blind runs to nowhere, however playing with better players would give him more options to release the ball. Some times I see him run and the rest are just stood there watching, that isn't his fault.

Harry Maguire is the best young centre back I've seen in League one for a while. Seen him a few times and I've always been impressed.

I think Tarky is a work in progress. I think it would be a shame to see him languishing in a reserve side, not improving. He has come on a lot. However £2m - I'd snap their hands off

Edited by pukka

"could well see Tarky control Ibehre, just like he controlled Kevin Davies at Deepdale in the League earlier in the season. IMO, that game was where we saw the REAL Tarky"... or was Saturday the Real Tarky and PNE an anomoly?

- I'm not saying either or are, I'm only saying its as easy to point to 1 good performance as the real one as to point to one bad and claim the same. I believe the truth is somewhere in the middle. You could also argue that vs PNE he was dealing with a 34 year old who is way past his best, launching the ball up to him. Can you imagine what Tarky would be like with Rooney, Aguero, Loic Remy or Walcott running at him? Before someone says "most players can't deal with that" - he is being touted as playing for the team at the top of the Premier League table (as it stands), so these comparisons are justified.

"Another thing to consider is that how many other CBs do you see in our league this year that can bring the ball out of defence and turn defence into attack in less than 5-10 seconds"

- I agree. I'd say they are often blind runs to nowhere, however playing with better players would give him more options to release the ball. Some times I see him run and the rest are just stood there watching, that isn't his fault.

Harry Maguire is the best young centre back I've seen in League one for a while. Seen him a few times and I've always been impressed.

I think Tarky is a work in progress. I think it would be a shame to see him languishing in a reserve side, not improving. He has come on a lot. However £2m - I'd snap their hands off

Tarky is a work in progress, of that I agree with you. That is also how I see Liverpool seeing Tarky. They wont be paying £2m for him to face Rooney, Suarez, Aguero et al, right now, as he's not ready for that. That's where I disagree with you - those comparisons aren't justified. They'll be signing a highly talented ball playing central defender with very good potential. They may sign him and loan him to a top end Championship side before trying to integrate him into their own first team, for example.

United paid £15m for Zaha and he's started pretty much :censored: all.

United paid £4m for Powell and he's on loan to a Championship club.

As far as I'm concerned, and with the fees being banded about these days, Tarky is worth every penny of £2m given his age and what others are going for. He's not going to be an instant Premier League starter, otherwise the fee would be more £12m than £2m.

Nope, he's probably not as good as Fitz was but, if Moore hadn't have pulled the plug on us that summer, we'd have got a lot more for him than the low fee we ended up with.

Really do think Tarky should be looking at a Premier League move. Wouldn't have said Liverpool size, but a Cardiff, Swansea or Fulham. However, I wonder if a few clubs will have been put off by him having a torrid afternoon against a donkey like Jabo Ibhere...

To be fair Liverpool's defence know all about getting the run around by a donkey at Boundary Park ;) Ibhere to Leeds anyone? Edited by palmer1